Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Does anyone know the location of the photo?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Does anyone know the location of the photo? 16872859

Here we have the Salvation Army Social Centre in Bolton in a picture taken many decades ago.

Can you tell us when this photo was likely to have been taken and any other memories of the road.

Source

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Its still there on St Georges Road but in a new building now. There used to be a taxi firm there but presume that's long now as well?

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Way back, there used to be an Indian takeaway just to the left of this picture, which I think was called Abdul's.  It was the second Indian I ever went to and became my regular for all the time I spent in Bolton until I moved away.

The first Indian I went to was roughly across the road from the Esso garage in the picture!

For some reason I've long forgotten, I had been (underaged) drinking in town and one of the gang of lads I was with wanted to get a takeaway after the pubs had shut and we all ended up walking from town to there (no money for taxi's back then!).

I simply ordered whatever everyone else were ordering and we ate it from the container as we walked home - most of then to Breightmet and me cutting up School Hill on my way to Halliwell.

I can't remember why we switched to Abdul's across the road but we did and never went back to there again.

To go off at a tangent, my daughter is off to see Elton John at Glastonbury, and he first started out his career at about the same time that me and my mates were drinking in Bolton then off on our way to Abdul's on our way home.

Who would have thought at the time that Elton would still be performing 50 years later or that I would have a daughter going to see his last ever performance!

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

What was the name of the Indian restuarant across the road and a bit further up from this? Went in a few times after nights out and was ok from memory. I would have been pissed though so could have been terrible  Very Happy

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Norpig wrote:What was the name of the Indian restaurant across the road and a bit further up from this? Went in a few times after nights out and was ok from memory. I would have been pissed though so could have been terrible  Very Happy

I can't remember.

The one (and Abdul's) I first went in to were only takeaways at the time but I vaguely seem to think they both later turned into restaurants as well - or maybe yet another was opened towards the junction of St Georges Road and Knowsley Street?

I pretty sure I'd left Bolton by then so never went into any of them.

And yes back then you only went in to an Indian after several pints - and I suspect that one of the lads did something stupid and got us banned from the first takeaway and that's why we ended up in Abdul's!

I was usually the one who had to end up putting things right the best I could even in them days.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

just googled it, i think it was Shimuls.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum