Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Evatt answers Charles exit rumours and the speculation that raises a smile

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Evatt answers Charles exit rumours and the speculation that raises a smile 17617855

The January transfer window is less than a week old but Ian Evatt says it has already provided him with a good chuckle.

The Bolton boss has certainly not ruled out incoming transfers this month – adding that he is in no rush to make additions in the short-term, even with Gethin Jones and Carlos Mendes Gomes away on international duty.

He declined to name which names have brought a smile to his face over the last few days – but the suggestion that Dion Charles could leave this month produced a fairly definitive answer.

“Nothing is happening as we speak but I have had a little giggle about some of the names and valuations,” he said, before insisting as all managers do that he doesn't read the speculation himself.

“People tell me it!" he maintained. “There was one the other day, Lewis (Duckmanton) who I travel in with said her mum was in a panic because she thought we were selling Dion to Preston.

“It is great to hear but I am really relaxed, we are in a really strong position.

“The reason we are always proactive with contracts is one, to be fair to the players and give them the reward their performances deserve, but two, to protect this football club.”

Charles has been linked with a handful of Championship clubs already this month – with valuations as high as £5million. But Bolton are currently banking on the squad that put them in the top two keeping them there in the second half of the campaign.

Dan Nlundulu’s injury could mean a striker is sought on loan, with Luton Town’s Joe Taylor one of a few names now doing the rounds.

Evatt might have been in high spirits ahead of the FA Cup tie with Luton Town but he wasn’t about to enter into a game of confirm or deny. He also believes other clubs watching his players is a sign of real progress.

“It speaks volumes that we have two players away on international tournaments and also people talking about our players, multi-million pound moves,” he said. “It is fantastic to be in this position and four years ago when I took this job we wanted to achieve that, get assets on the pitch for this ownership group, and we have done it.

“We have worked hard to get them to this stage and feel we are at a point now where we don’t really want to lose anyone. We need to keep our heads down, keep our focus on the games coming up. January is slightly frustrating in that sense.”

Though Declan John’s loan deal at Salford City was confirmed yesterday, taking him to the end of his contract with Bolton, Evatt does not foresee any of his other squad players looking to move elsewhere.

“What you normally find this time of year is that it can be a harsh reality for managers,” he said. “You have a group of players which are key to the squad and those who might be rotated, who might have eyes on going elsewhere, but selfishly you want to keep hold of them because they are part of the group you have built. But I have none of that, they all want to be here and are enjoying their football, so I am very relaxed about the situation.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum