Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Looking Back: Bridgeman Street Baths given a facelift in Fifties

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Looking Back: Bridgeman Street Baths given a facelift in Fifties 17640019

Taken in 1954 it shows Bolton’s Bridgeman Street baths shortly before it reopened after a facelift. The baths had been decorated and new space heaters installed.

The baths were built by a private company for use ‘by the working man’ with work starting in 1845 and opening a couple of years later. At the time they were believed to be the first public baths built since the Roman occupation.

The baths, which were taken over by Bolton Corporation, were in use until around 1975 when made it unviable. The Grade II listed building then became a business centre.

Source

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Looks similar to Moss St baths at the bottom of Halliwell road. Has swimming lessons there as a kid and went a lot out of school as well, happy memories  Very Happy

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Yes happy memories.

I actually learned to swim at Bridgeman street, although my dad and my brother taught me the basics at the local Moss street (the smaller of the two pools), which we used to go to most Sunday mornings.

The penny didn't drop for me until one secondary school trip to Bridgeman street and something just clicked that day and I was off doing length after length from then on.

Happy days as you say.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum