Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Major injury scare for Carlos Mendes Gomes after Wigan defeat

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Major injury scare for Carlos Mendes Gomes after Wigan defeat 17797472

Carlos Mendes Gomes looks likely to miss the rest of the season after damaging his Achillies in last night’s 1-0 defeat to Wigan Athletic.

The Guinea Bissau international went down injured after just 20 minutes of the game at the DW Stadium and left the field on a stretcher.

Mendes Gomes had just got a run in the side after a campaign which had been fragmented by injury and a stint on international duty at the African Cup of Nations.

Ian Evatt confirmed after the final whistle: “It looks like he has ruptured his Achillies, which is a really bad injury.

“It is another thing that is going against us at the moment but we can’t do anything about it.

“Carlos is in great form and it is really disappointing for him.”

There could be better injury news on the horizon for Wanderers with Evatt confirming that Dion Charles could return for this weekend’s home game against Cambridge United.

“Maybe, we’ll see. Nathan (Baxter) potentially too, we’ll see. Randell (Williams) definitely will be.

“You guys must see it as well, it was a strong performance. We’re just a bit baffled by how we managed to lose.”

Wanderers have now lost their last two games but Evatt remains convinced that they can correct their course.

Failure to convert possession into goals at Wigan cost Bolton dearly but the Bolton boss is sure the quality of performance would ordinarily have been worth more points.

“Some of our connections in the final third were difficult to play with speed because obviously you have to take an extra touch and that slowed everything down,” he said.

“But we had the chances, even against the low block, we had the chances.

“I don’t know what stats and data is like but I think it was their first attack in the second half that they score with, they had a shot after that when we were wobbling after the goal. But other than that we had completely dictated the pace of the game and spent long periods in their half.

“We didn’t get what we deserved but I am annoyed with tonight because I think they warranted more.

“I have said a lot that our season will be dictated by the bad moments and making sure that we don’t implode. Right now the fans can be disappointed but we need them to stick with us. We need them to back us like they have done because we will keep fighting for them and this football club.

“That was a really good performance that we didn’t get a result from but if we play like that consistently the results will come.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum