Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wigan boss Maloney on win against Bolton

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wigan boss Maloney on win against Bolton  17797441

Wigan boss Shaun Maloney hailed his side’s “incredible” performance to secure all three points against Wanderers.

The Latics ran out 1-0 winners at the DW Stadium despite being under pressure for large spells, with Stephen Humphrys getting the decisive goal during the second half.

Eoin Toal, Nat Ogbeta and Ricardo Santos had chances for the Whites, who couldn’t find an equaliser in the final stages.

"We obviously had to defend for long periods but I really liked some of the things we did in the first half with the ball, without creating a lot,” he told Wigan Today.

"Both teams were trying to play through each other and I thought they were really good with the ball.

"I had to respect the players they have, I think they have a lot of good attacking players, and we tried to get pressure high up.

"At times it worked, and at times it didn't work. But in that last 20 minutes or so, we had to defend and in fairness to the lads, I thought they were brilliant.”

He added: "Trust me, I would have liked more of the ball. But it was tough out there and we needed the fans, particularly near the end.

"Some of the lads were on their knees at the end and they take all the credit there, along with the fans."

Wanderers remain third in the League One table and level on points with second-place Derby, who were beaten 2-1 by Charlton. Leaders Portsmouth have a seven-point cushion heading into the business end of the campaign.

Meanwhile, Wigan remain 13th in the table and are now unbeaten in their last three matches.

The Whites are back at the Toughsheet Community Stadium on Saturday afternoon when they host Cambridge (3pm).

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum