Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Randell Williams on 'relief' of Barnsley equaliser and Bolton's fighting spirit

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Randell Williams on 'relief' of Barnsley equaliser and Bolton's fighting spirit 17824068

Randell Williams saluted Wanderers’ spirit after they came back from 2-0 down to rescue a point at Barnsley.

The wing-back slotted in an equalising goal eight minutes into stoppage time after Josh Sheehan’s penalty had initially been saved by home keeper Liam Roberts.

Williams had come on as a second-half substitute to help spark the revival in what was his second appearance since returning from a hamstring injury.

And he felt the point – which took Bolton above Derby County into second spot – was the least they deserved from their night at Oakwell.

“It was just ‘follow it in’ as you should do on penalties,” he said after scoring the goal. “I’m delighted to be back playing, it has been a long six weeks out injured for me and I thought the boys did really well to fight back from 2-0 down.

“To do that away from home is always going to be difficult and the fans were excellent. We played really well in the second half, we were difficult to deal with and limited their opportunities. I think we played really, really well.

“We should have won it, yes, we had chances to win and we’ll get them in every single game the way we play. On another day we put them away but I was happy to get at least a point.”

Williams had been in the mix to take the penalty himself but stepped aside to allow Sheehan to take up the responsibility.

Wanderers had created several clear-cut chances after Victor Adeboyejo had brought them to within a goal of the Tykes just after the hour mark.

But Barnsley looked like they were going to hold on for a win that would have taken them into the automatic promotion spots and dropped Wanderers down to fourth, until the late twist in the tale.

“It was just relief,” said Williams when asked how it felt to see the ball hit the back of the net. “Sheehan had asked to take it and I just concentrated on following up. I’m just happy to have scored and got us a point.

“I think it shows we have the desire, the players, the mentality, we just have to put games to bed. We create chances, we just have to put them away.

“Of course, you come away from home and get something, not losing a game is a positive.

“To come back from 2-0 down it was real credit to the team.”

Wanderers had conceded two goals after failing to heed advice from the coaching staff about where Barnsley’s strengths lay and where the majority of their football had to be played.

Ian Evatt wanted to use the width of the pitch and exploit the fact Adeboyejo and Aaron Collins were being left one-v-one at the back as the home side pressed aggressively in the middle of midfield.

Williams revealed what was said at half time did not change much from what had been asked of the team before kick off.

“He wanted us to start running in behind because they were leaving spaces,” he said. “He wanted us to be more aggressive – they were messages he’d given us all week, really. And it was our job to go out there and produce what he wanted us to produce.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum