Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Evans and Appleton on Wanderers' win against Oxford

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Evans and Appleton on Wanderers' win against Oxford 17853929

Stevenage boss Steve Evans says Wanderers made a “statement” to their promotion rivals against Oxford.

The Whites cruised to a 5-0 victory thanks to goals from Nat Ogbeta, Josh Dacres-Cogley, George Thomason, Aaron Collins and Josh Sheehan.

Oxford are on the fringes of the play-offs but were blown away by Ian Evatt's side, who will now head to second-place Derby in high spirits this weekend.

Evans was a Sky Sports pundit alongside Michael Appleton former Blackpool and Charlton chief Michael Appleton.

“Ian looks very focused,” he said. “It looks like he has got his best players playing at the top of their game again and the top end of League One is exciting, both for the automatics and the play-off race.”

When asked about the pressure of securing an automatic promotion spot, Appleton added: “I think that helps them. Ian touched on it about focus, I think it does bring a different level of focus to you.

“For me, they look like a team that took a little bit of stick and people have asked a few questions of them.

“I think it helps galvanise the team, if you are questioned, and makes you that little bit more determined to prove people wrong.

“Right from the start, there was a clear confidence and belief that they were going to turn them over.”

Collins was singled out for praise following his goal, having been involved in the build-up and then making sure he got into the right place to score at the far post.

“It is that huger and desire to get into the box and try to get between the sticks,” Appleton explained.

“He is part of the build-up play with a fantastic backheel to keep the ball alive and the desire to then get on the end of it is the difference between a player who wants to score goals or just get assists.

“How many times do you work with wide players and tell them to get to the far post instead of just standing on the edge of the box waiting for the perfect pull back? He did that to a tee.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum