Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Football's obsession with clean sheets

+6
jayjay23
Banks of the Croal
Lofty_Love
Hipster_Nebula
Reebok Trotter
doffcocker
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bernard Dennis Park wrote:You can score and lose the game. If you keep a clean sheet you're not going to lose. Ever.

Top answer. :agree: :number1:

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bernard Dennis Park wrote:You can score and lose the game. If you keep a clean sheet you're not going to lose. Ever.

True, but no one is going to turn these ponces into a "clean sheet" team without a change of personnel. So you go with your strengths.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote: So you go with your strengths.

True. Two of our strengths in attack are Petrov and Sordell yet they can't even make the bench!

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

No team goes into a game with the intention of conceding so a clean sheet is an objective - something to aim for. Conversely every team wants to score - another objective. I don't think clean sheets are an obsession - just a measure of how well a team is doing aginst one of it's primary objectives.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

So after slagging Coyle for months because of his inability to keep clean sheets, we've now got a manager who is trying to tighten us up, and he's getting slagged for it.

nothing surprises me anymore with Bolton fans.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:So after slagging Coyle for months because of his inability to keep clean sheets, we've now got a manager who is trying to tighten us up, and he's getting slagged for it.

You need a new act. Really you do.

Hipster_Nebula wrote:So after slagging Coyle for months because of his inability to keep clean sheets, we've now got a manager who is trying to tighten us up, and he's getting slagged for it.

Agreed, it's laughable.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

You can't tighten up with the same pisspoor players. If we draw every game until May we'll go down.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

In the Prem, they say 40 points will keep you up. Any thoughts on what's needed in this league to be confident of survival?

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

For the past 8 seasons the final relgated team (22nd) finished on the following total points.

2011-12 - 40 Points
2010-11 - 42 Points
2009-10 - 47 Points
2008-09 - 46 Points
2007-08 - 52 Points
2006-07 - 42 Points
2005-06 - 42 Points
2004-05 - 50 Points

This works out as an average of just over 45 points

Last edited by BoltonTillIDie on Sun Nov 25 2012, 14:21; edited 1 time in total

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:In the Prem, they say 40 points will keep you up. Any thoughts on what's needed in this league to be confident of survival?

Last season in the Championship the 3 relegated teams were Doncaster (36 pts ) Coventry ( 40 ) and Pompey ( 40 )

Barnsley were 4th bottom with 48 points..

Natasha Whittam wrote:You can't tighten up with the same pisspoor players. If we draw every game until May we'll go down.

Thought you were moaning about too many changes? Make your mind up!

Who would you bring into the back 4 to tighten up?

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

If Pompey hadn't gone into administration and been docked 10 points then they would have avoided relegation and Barnsley would have been relegated instead.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:

You need a new act. Really you do.

I don't understand how stating facts is an "act"

Bolton fans main bug bear with Coyle was he couldn't organise a defence, Dougie has come in, recognised the main problem is defence and has tried some different things to aid that problem and is being slagged for it.

how on earth is that an "act"

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:

I couldn't they're all shite! So I'd concentrate on what we're half decent at - attacking.

I've said it before I'd go 4-4-2 with two central defensive midfielders, but two out and out wingers and two pacey strikers.

There's a problem though. It involves leaving Mavies out so it won't happen.

Natasha Whittam wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:

I couldn't they're all shite! So I'd concentrate on what we're half decent at - attacking.

I've said it before I'd go 4-4-2 with two central defensive midfielders, but two out and out wingers and two pacey strikers.

There's a problem though. It involves leaving Mavies out so it won't happen.

You're moaning about Dougie not changing the back 4, but you couldn't change any of them yourself? Seems strange.

And you're answer to us being shit at defending, is to ignore defending and attack... You've watched too much Owen Coyle.

Then you suggest 4-4-2? You must be mad, I never want to see that formation again after Coyle got us relegated with it.

What you've described is the exact tactics Megson employed, McCann and Muamba being the holding midfielders.

It was shit.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:

You're moaning about Dougie not changing the back 4, but you couldn't change any of them yourself? Seems strange.

And you're answer to us being shit at defending, is to ignore defending and attack... You've watched too much Owen Coyle.

Then you suggest 4-4-2? You must be mad, I never want to see that formation again after Coyle got us relegated with it.

What you've described is the exact tactics Megson employed, McCann and Muamba being the holding midfielders.

It was shit.

Where did I moan about not changing the back 4. I moaned that he didn't loan someone in. There's a difference.

Two defensive midfielders stops the opposition walking through our midfield, something that has happened countless times in the last 18 months. If we have two out and out wingers with two fast forwards it gives the opposition something to think about.

4-4-2 can work with the right personnel. Coyle's problem was ALWAYS trying to fit Mavies into the starting 11.

Natasha Whittam wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:

It was shit.

Where did I moan about not changing the back 4. I moaned that he didn't loan someone in. There's a difference.

Two defensive midfielders stops the opposition walking through our midfield, something that has happened countless times in the last 18 months. If we have two out and out wingers with two fast forwards it gives the opposition something to think about.

4-4-2 can work with the right personnel. Coyle's problem was ALWAYS trying to fit Mavies into the starting 11.

4-4-2 can work, but you need at least 1 very good dynamic centre midfielders, like Holden.

We're playing with 2 defensive midfielders now by the way.

Coyle's problem was not having a clue tactically, playing Mavies in a 442 in center midfield is stupid.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:

4-4-2 can work, but you need at least 1 very good dynamic centre midfielders, like Holden.

We're playing with 2 defensive midfielders now by the way.

Coyle's problem was not having a clue tactically, playing Mavies in a 442 in center midfield is stupid.

I knew you'd end up agreeing with me Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum