Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tony Gubba - RIP

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Tony Gubba - RIP Empty Tony Gubba - RIP Mon Mar 11 2013, 17:30

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Always enjoyed Gubba's commentary’s.

Sports presenter Tony Gubba, who spent much of his career with the BBC, has died following a short illness.

Gubba, who was 69, joined BBC Sport in 1972 but most recently worked as a commentator on ITV series Dancing On Ice following its launch in 2006.

He worked on Sportsnight, Match of the Day and Grandstand.

Gubba leaves his partner of 15 years, Jenny, his two daughters, Claire, 40, and Libby, 38, and three granddaughters.

He was a sports all-rounder who commentated on hockey, table-tennis, golf, tennis, bobsleigh, ski-jumping, darts and ice-skating for the BBC.

Gubba also covered every Olympic Games, both summer and winter, from 1972 to 2012, as well as every World Cup from 1974 to 2006.

Fellow commentator John Motson led the tributes to Gubba.

"Tony was a great friend and colleague for over 40 years and I shall miss him greatly," he said. "He was one of the original probing reporters - never afraid to ask a difficult question."

The BBC's head of TV sport Philip Bernie said. "Tony was an outstanding sports journalist and a formidable broadcaster, whose death will sadden everyone at BBC Sport.

"He worked on a huge range of sports during his time at the BBC, always displaying his trademark tenacious, single minded approach.

"For a generation he was one of the most familiar and respected names in sports broadcasting. Our thoughts and sympathies go out to his family and closest friends."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/21740038

RIP

2Tony Gubba - RIP Empty Re: Tony Gubba - RIP Mon Mar 11 2013, 17:33

Sgt. Bash

Sgt. Bash
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

R.I.P

3Tony Gubba - RIP Empty Re: Tony Gubba - RIP Mon Mar 11 2013, 19:07

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I met the fella once. His mother lived in Sale. He was a good commentator but a rather dour individual in the flesh. He certainly didn't have the charisma of Sid Waddell.

R.I.P nevertheless.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum