Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is three points enough?

+11
BoltonTillIDie
JonnyRandom
Triumph
scottjames30
wanderlust
Hipster_Nebula
aaron_bwfc
Natasha Whittam
Sluffy
Boggersbelief
SKDArmy
15 posters

Reply to topic

Are you happy with the three points but a bad performance?

Is three points enough? Vote_lcap81%Is three points enough? Vote_rcap 81% [ 21 ]
Is three points enough? Vote_lcap19%Is three points enough? Vote_rcap 19% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 26

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Is three points enough? Empty Is three points enough? Thu Apr 04 2013, 14:08

SKDArmy

SKDArmy
Nicky Hunt
Nicky Hunt

Coming back after the Huddersfield game I heard mumblings that despite the result supporters still weren't happy due to a bad performance. Are you happy with just getting the three points or do you need the performance to go with it?

I know for one I just want the three points and if it means a scrappy game I don't care as long as we win.

2Is three points enough? Empty Re: Is three points enough? Thu Apr 04 2013, 14:18

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

At this stage of the season I care only about maximum points.

Couldn't put up with terrible performances over a full season though

3Is three points enough? Empty Re: Is three points enough? Thu Apr 04 2013, 14:20

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Kind of similar to the debate during the Megson era - points or performance.

Always went for points myself - but then again I was one who didn't pay his hard earned cash to be there every week.

Clearly Coyle's performance pleasing route, where he failed to get both points or a pleasing performance was not the way to go.

I'm surprised he's still out of a job!

Voted for the 3 points option.

4Is three points enough? Empty Re: Is three points enough? Thu Apr 04 2013, 14:24

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Obviously points are more important at this stage of the season, but anyone who thinks that applies to every game of a season is a fool.

If you don't care about the performance, i.e. being entertained, why bother going?

5Is three points enough? Empty Re: Is three points enough? Thu Apr 04 2013, 14:26

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

It is rare you get 3 points playing like we did on Tuesday IMO, if Huddersfield had a better finisher we would have been out of it.

I suppose with the league we are in you can get away with playing below par now and again and still winning, though if and when we go up we won't get away with it.

Good performances equal 3 points 99% of the time.

6Is three points enough? Empty Re: Is three points enough? Thu Apr 04 2013, 14:38

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm always happy with the points, but I'd like to think long term there is always plans afoot to be acquiring more technically skilled, higher IQ players.

I do think, hope, Dougie is that way inclined.

We had similar grumbles under Big Sam, even when we were in Europe some were moaning about the long ball style of play and settling for draws away from home. Still would argue we had the ability to play some lovely football under sam but he prioritised points.

Under Megson he just prioritised "workman" like players with little or no technical skill who could grind out 0-0's.

Coyle was the oposite, players of supposed technical ability with little or no desire to "mix it up" and "gung ho" tactics.

Balance is the answer surely.

7Is three points enough? Empty Re: Is three points enough? Thu Apr 04 2013, 14:40

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Points are the prize and I always like to think we've earned our prizes rather than being lucky.
Performances have a massive impact in all kinds of ways: giving the team and fans confidence, evidencing development i.e. moving forwards as a club, putting the fear of God into the opposition, keeping the players happy so they want to play for this club and loads more. Whilst I'd always take a shit win over an unlucky loss, it's only on the basis that a shit win allows us to try to improve the performance next time out. Shit wins feel like a consolation prize.

8Is three points enough? Empty Re: Is three points enough? Thu Apr 04 2013, 15:17

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

3 Points will do for me any day of the week.

We can play really shit at this stage of the season, as long as we get the points i don't give a crap tbh.

If we play really well its a bonus.

9Is three points enough? Empty Re: Is three points enough? Thu Apr 04 2013, 15:28

Triumph

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

No! I pay to be entertained, lets say I came away disappointed Tuesday, BUT if we had not got 3 points I would have been very disappointed.(Peed off)

10Is three points enough? Empty Re: Is three points enough? Thu Apr 04 2013, 18:17

JonnyRandom

JonnyRandom
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

3 points is 3 points whether its ugly or not

11Is three points enough? Empty Re: Is three points enough? Thu Apr 04 2013, 18:47

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

3 points for me (I don't mind the odd ugly win here and there)

12Is three points enough? Empty Re: Is three points enough? Thu Apr 04 2013, 19:21

Never happy with a bad performance even if we win. Would rather we lost playing exciting attacking football, rather than the dross that we have been served up these last 2 and a bit seasons.

I don't want us to get promoted this season either, because the team we have now will make last seasons team look like Brazil 1970.

13Is three points enough? Empty Re: Is three points enough? Thu Apr 04 2013, 19:50

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Winning football is generally entertaining football, play crap and you will usually lose. This league is competitive but genuine quality is lacking so there are lots of scrappy games where the team that gets a break or has the edge in fitness or works that little bit harder gets the win.

14Is three points enough? Empty Re: Is three points enough? Thu Apr 04 2013, 20:51

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

3 points every time. I hate to see us lose and drawing a game even if we've played well is still not as good as seeing us get all 3 points.

15Is three points enough? Empty Re: Is three points enough? Fri Apr 05 2013, 14:12

Jamster26

Jamster26
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

At this stage, it's all about the points. I think we've shown against teams like Hull and Brighton, that we can score goals and also defend well and nick the odd goal when the game requires it.

16Is three points enough? Empty Re: Is three points enough? Fri Apr 05 2013, 14:15

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Jamster26 wrote:At this stage, it's all about the points. I think we've shown against teams like Hull and Brighton, that we can score goals and also defend well and nick the odd goal when the game requires it.

I think tomorrow will be different, Wolves will come at us backed by a noisy away following. I hope the Bolton players grow some balls.

17Is three points enough? Empty Re: Is three points enough? Fri Apr 05 2013, 14:38

Sgt. Bash

Sgt. Bash
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I voted yes, football is a points business and at the end of the day, we get three points, we've had a good day.

Obviously, as a fan, a good performance is always going to be a preference. It's not essential though.

18Is three points enough? Empty Re: Is three points enough? Fri Apr 05 2013, 15:22

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

This thread was clearly inspired by our narrow squeak against Huddersfield. Reading the manager's notes in tomorrow's programme Dougie says:
(Huddersfield) "threw everything they had at us in the last ten minutes, but we stood up to them both on and off the pitch"
Off the pitch? I heard there was a kerfuffle of some description on the touchline, but is our manager really mouthing off about how our staff whupped their staff or is there something more (or less) to it?
Can someone enlighten me as to what actually happened?

19Is three points enough? Empty Re: Is three points enough? Fri Apr 05 2013, 15:24

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:This thread was clearly inspired by our narrow squeak against Huddersfield. Reading the manager's notes in tomorrow's programme Dougie says:
(Huddersfield) "threw everything they had at us in the last ten minutes, but we stood up to them both on and off the pitch"
Off the pitch? I heard there was a kerfuffle of some description on the touchline, but is our manager really mouthing off about how our staff whupped their staff or is there something more (or less) to it?
Can someone enlighten me as to what actually happened?

Maybe some sort of mindgames.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum