Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dougie's search for a 20-goal striker

+12
scottjames30
wanderlust
MartinBWFC
Barryjw
aaron_bwfc
Reebok Trotter
terenceanne
Natasha Whittam
JohannesburgWanderer
Keegan
Norpig
BoltonTillIDie
16 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Dougie's search for a 20-goal striker Empty Dougie's search for a 20-goal striker Wed Jun 12 2013, 22:35

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

IF Dougie Freedman gets his way in the transfer market this summer, then Wanderers' 12-year wait for a striker who can top the mythical 20-goal mark could soon come to an end.
Not since Michael Ricketts plundered 24 goals the last time the Whites escaped the second tier has a Whites player reached the figure usually used as a benchmark for a prolific striker.

But Freedman is believed to be eyeing up two fresh faces who could add significantly to the club’s goal tally.
One of them, Leicester City’s Jermaine Beckford, still has a point to prove at this level despite belting 85 goals in three seasons in League One with Leeds United a few years back.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
He has retained a decent scoring record with Everton, Leicester and in a loan spell with Huddersfield Town ever since – but one comparative with any one of the strikers already at Freedman’s disposal at the Reebok.
David Ngog, Marvin Sordell and Craig Davies have weighed in with a fair number of goals throughout their Bolton careers, they have never been what you might call abundant.
Youngsters Tom Eaves and Zach Clough remain in the untested category but both seem to have grabbed the manager’s attention and could well force their way ahead of some of their senior contemporaries.

Reports suggest that Beckford would command a weighty enough fee of around £1million but the Whites boss has made it clear that he will not be wasting cash this summer in a message that could well be aimed at the King Power Stadium.

You might be forgiven for thinking the mainstay of Freedman’s budget could be being reserved for someone else.
And if Wanderers are to sign someone with a pedigree of delivering regular goals, they are unlikely to come cheap.
Chris Eagles scored 12 times from the wing last season and Freedman would like to have the option of using him off the main striker to better harness his eye for goal.

Cardiff showed last season that success can be achieved without a 20-goal man but the Welsh club’s example is very much the exception in recent years among the Championship’s successful clubs. Likewise, Blackburn Rovers struggled like mad despite being able to call on the division’s most lethal poacher, Jordan Rhodes.

Wanderers survived for a long time without a real goal-getter in the Premier League years. Even a hitman as razor sharp as Nicolas Anelka had to fall in line with an ethos where individual accolades came very much second to results.
But Freedman might need both next season, and his next big task may be to convince the club to invest in a player who is capable of adding razor sharp edge to the consistency he instilled last season.

Previous Seasons top scorers
2012/13 Chris Eagles 12
2011/12 Ivan Klasnic 9
2010/11 Johan Elmander 12
2009/10 Kevin Davies 9 
2008/09 Kevin Davies 11
2007/08 Nicolas Anelka 11
2006/07 Nicolas Anelka 12
2005/06 Stelios 12
2004/05 Davies/ Diouf 9
2003/04 Kevin Nolan 12
2002/03 Djorkaeff/Okocha/Pedersen/Ricketts 7
2001/02 Michael Ricketts 15
2000/01 Michael Ricketts 24

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i know it won't happen but i would us to sign Jordan Rhodes, on a more realistic note how about DJ Campbell? Proven scorer at this level and on a free.

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Neither Beckford nor Campbell are 20-goal strikers at this point... rumour has it Doug is eyeing up an expensive South American... no, not Messi, not Falcao, not Suarez.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'd love to have a 20 goal striker - what I call a proper striker, no holding man we've had to endure for a decade.

To continue the top goal scorer stats:

1999/00 - Eidur Gudjohnsen 22
1998/99 - Bob Taylor 18
1997/98 - Nathan Blake 14
1996/97 - John McGinlay 30 (Nathan Blake 24)
1995/96 - John McGinlay 9
1994/95 - John McGinlay 22
1993/94 - John McGinlay 33
1992/93 - Andy Walker 33 (John McGinlay 22)
1991/92 - Tony Philliskirk 19
1990/91 - Tony Philliskirk 28
1989/90 - Tony Philliskirk 25
1988/89 - Trevor Morgan 11
1987/88 - John Thomas 28
1986/87 - Tony Caldwell 17
1985/86 - Tony Caldwell 16
1984/85 - Tony Caldwell 22
1983/84 - Tony Caldwell 23
1982/83 - Tony Henry 11
1981/82 - Chris Thompson 14
1980/81 - Neil Whatmore 15

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

oh to have a partnership like Supa Jon and God again! Happy days!

JohannesburgWanderer

Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

Elmander is available for 400,000.00 quid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

JohannesburgWanderer wrote:Elmander is available for 400,000.00 quid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

£400k too much!

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Good ol Elmo scored again for Sweden the other night...... we still haven't replaced him or Klasnic.  As for a new striker we better be looking at some unknown lad from Argentina or Spain etc..... any name brand will be far too much money and others mentioned on here are other teams rejects.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Frank Worthington won the Golden Boot in the 78/79 season with 24 goals.

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

I'd take a punt on Kevin Doyle at Wolves.

Barryjw

Barryjw
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Prior to the January transfer window many experts touted Giudetti from Citeh based on his loan to Feyenoord.
Well what has happened to him? The odd game for the stiffs? Is he still alive? Did we dodge a bullet?

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Guidetti is still quite highly thought of at City, when last I heard. The question though, is do we really need a striker named John Alberto Fernando Andres Luigi Olof Guidetti?

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Keegan wrote:Guidetti is still quite highly thought of at City, when last I heard. The question though, is do we really need a striker named John Alberto Fernando Andres Luigi Olof Guidetti?

You'd never fit it on the shirt.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

MartinBWFC wrote:
Keegan wrote:Guidetti is still quite highly thought of at City, when last I heard. The question though, is do we really need a striker named John Alberto Fernando Andres Luigi Olof Guidetti?

You'd never fit it on the shirt.

He could abbreviate it to J.A.F.A.L.O.G 

I have a chant for him already...

Jafalog the missus?
Jafalog the cat?
Jafalog yourself off?
You f****** Swedish twat

...just to give him a proper Bolton welcome, you understand.

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Definitely has a ring to it! Wink

I thought a jaffa was a scottjames (sorry sj I couldn't resist) Wink

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Well the market opens Monday, lets hope we get a goal getter, any more rumours about C Austin ?

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I believe we're talking a £5million budget for an English striker, so Austin fits the criteria, but if we're going to spend that much I'd be looking for more for the money, so I hope it's not him.

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I would look to bring Emile Heskey back from Australia. Partner him with Kevin Doyle, I think that would be dangerous.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Michael Bolton wrote:I would look to bring Emile Heskey back from Australia. Partner him with Kevin Doyle, I think that would be dangerous.

lol! 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum