Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Would you prefer life to be like the 1980s or 2013?

+9
Norpig
Angry Dad
MartinBWFC
waynagain
NickFazer
Hipster_Nebula
Natasha Whittam
Reebok Trotter
Michael Bolton
13 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I was watching an old youtube clip of Treasure Hunt with Annika Rice last night and life seemed so much nicer in the 1980s. I know we didn't have the internet, mobile phones, satellite tv, games consoles, etc but life seemed more pleasant, people got out more as there was not so much to do in the house. Nowadays people can happily stay indoors all weekend and be entertained and busy doing things.

In another post here about classic tv adverts, its like nowadays all adverts are loans, insurance, webuyanycar, etc. People will look back at this era and see adverts were shit and annoying. 

Life has changed so much in the last 30 years, but is it better now than 30 years ago? Would you prefer life right now to be like it was in the 1980s or 2013?

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Michael Bolton wrote:I was watching an old youtube clip of Treasure Hunt with Annika Rice last night and life seemed so much nicer in the 1980s. I know we didn't have the internet, mobile phones, satellite tv, games consoles, etc but life seemed more pleasant, people got out more as there was not so much to do in the house. Nowadays people can happily stay indoors all weekend and be entertained and busy doing things.

Much better in the eighties. You only had 3 TV channels back then and the Beeb used to knock off for bed just after midnight. More young people read books and learnt more about the world instead of spending all day on Facepoop and sending pointless, banal text messages to one another.

Unfortunately, modern technology has one big disadvantage. It has made people lazy.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I bloody hate 2013 and all it stands for. I hate technology, I hate the greed, I hate the aggression.

People these days are generally twats who are out for what they can get. People are judged on how much they earn or how big their house is, no one cares if you are a nice person or spend your free time helping others.

People don’t interact anymore, they spend their lives on their phones or Facebook doing pointless things. People are wasting their lives.

Any day now I am expecting to get the call from God to build a big boat.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The 90's was the best.

we still had the last shred of our innocence in tact.

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

OK, technology has changed a lot in society and not always for the better but of those bemoaning the tech, on an Internet forum by the way, how many have the following

Smartphone
Braodband
Flat Screen HD TV
Facebook Account
IPod or similar
XBox or other console.

Don't know if its better or just different.

waynagain

waynagain
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

the sixties were the best, better music and England actually won a few games

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

We communicated back in the 80s, anybody ever own CB radio, that was the internet of it's time.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

MartinBWFC wrote:We communicated back in the 80s, anybody ever own  CB radio, that was the internet of it's time.

Breaker Breaker One Nine for a Copy.

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

1980'S by a country mile ,you could earn more money then but if could live my life in a continuous loop in a 25 year span it would be 1950-1975. Great cars, great fighters like Ali , frazier, foreman, Liston. footballers like Best, Law, Charlton, Greaves, Gilzean, Moore, Banks,Bremner,etc People that spoke properly, respect for the elderly, long hot summers, white dog shit, certain fuckers that knew their place, no fucking crap rap,great music, jublies amd pendletons twicers and spangles, crown filter and buckingham ciggies, aunties and grans that smelt of mothballs, and you could kill people for their crimes.

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

You had to speak posh to be a TV presenter, none of this scottish bollox everywhere.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Angry Dad wrote:1980'S by a country mile ,you could earn more money then but if could live my life in a continuous loop in a 25 year span it would be 1950-1975. Great cars, great fighters like Ali , frazier, foreman, Liston. footballers like Best, Law, Charlton, Greaves, Gilzean, Moore, Banks,Bremner,etc People that spoke properly, respect for the elderly, long hot summers, white dog shit, certain fuckers that knew their place, no fucking crap rap,great music, jublies amd pendletons twicers and spangles, crown filter and buckingham ciggies, aunties and grans that smelt of mothballs, and you could kill people for their crimes.

I think this is the kind of thing the Nazi's were fighting for.

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Hipster_Nebula wrote:
Angry Dad wrote:1980'S by a country mile ,you could earn more money then but if could live my life in a continuous loop in a 25 year span it would be 1950-1975. Great cars, great fighters like Ali , frazier, foreman, Liston. footballers like Best, Law, Charlton, Greaves, Gilzean, Moore, Banks,Bremner,etc People that spoke properly, respect for the elderly, long hot summers, white dog shit, certain fuckers that knew their place, no fucking crap rap,great music, jublies amd pendletons twicers and spangles, crown filter and buckingham ciggies, aunties and grans that smelt of mothballs, and you could kill people for their crimes.

I think this is the kind of thing the Nazi's were fighting for.

Fack off you dork, crown filter were not out then.

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

I'm just about to watch a programme think its bbc 3 about london in the fifties watch it and tell me enoch wasn't right.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

sorry the 80's were shit, why go back when we have so much now?

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I like the present technology - Id like to be a kid again, but with all this technology

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

There's been a lot of progression to be thankful for.

Attitudes towards bigotry have changed.

Attitudes towards old perves like Jimmy Saville putting hands where they're not wanted have also changed.

Some people would have you think the world is getting worse and worse. In some ways they're right. In others they're wrong.

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

I totally get this thread.
I watched Marchlands a bit back, part of it being set back in the 70s or 80s I think - before mobile phones and the internet etc. It just seemed a simpler time. In some ways it was inconvenient to use a phone box or not be able to text someone. But in other ways it was nice to not have to text the Mrs to see how her day is or say I'll be home in 10 mins - in those days you were home when you were home. If you missed a call on the landline because you were out, people got over it. And so on.

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

doffcocker wrote:There's been a lot of progression to be thankful for.

Attitudes towards bigotry have changed.

Attitudes towards old perves like Jimmy Saville putting hands where they're not wanted have also changed.

Some people would have you think the world is getting worse and worse. In some ways they're right. In others they're wrong.

Getting philosophical I would expect that what ever point society has reached in their enlightenment they would argue that their moral stance on all issues is correct at the time.

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

MartinBWFC wrote:We communicated back in the 80s, anybody ever own  CB radio, that was the internet of it's time.

1-4 for a copy

Ivor million was my handle!

Out.

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Looking back, yes they were great for many of us - how old were we, how much responsibility did we have. 80's were our time.

4 TV Channels (Channel 4 started in 1982 - although it was the 6th channel - as S4C started a day earlier and Sky Channel started a year earlier, cable only in those days)

Primitive consoles such as Grandstand and the Atari
The Commodore Vic-20 and Commodore 64, ZX80, ZX81 and ZX Spectrum

Playing jumpers for goalposts, keepyuppy, kerby - but we were outside!

Much better times

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum