Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Has anybody read THE ROAD

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Has anybody read THE ROAD  Empty Has anybody read THE ROAD Tue Jul 02 2013, 01:06

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

I have just finished the book and I find myself kind of let down by it. Has anyone else read it and felt the same? I want my money back...

If you have not read it here is what it is about.

A man and a boy are wandering down a road after some sort of apocalyptic event. They are more or less the only ones left. We join them a few years into their journey down this road - they are attempting to travel south.

• We never find out their names. 
  • The way it is written bugs me. None of the conversations are in speech marks so, half the time, in a long conversation you can lose track of who said what. 
  • We never find out why they are going South. 
  • There are some strange paragraphs in there that seem like they were supposed to be deep and meaningful but I could not figure them out. 
  • We never find out what exactly the disaster was that had occurred.
  •  We don't find out how they survived it and why they are the only ones left.

The story goes like this.
The man and boy are going South.
Oh no, they are running out of food. Let's keep going.
Oh we stumbled upon a farm house with some tinned food in the cupboard lets stay here for a bit. Then we move on.
Oh no we are nearly out of food again.
Are we going to die papa?
No, let's keep going.
Oh what look, we just found a bunker stocked with food and supplies and water. Let's stay here for a few days.
Let's pack our bag and set off again.
Oh no the man has a cough, he is ill. Oh now he is better.
What, our food has run out.
I hope we find some more.
Look there is a ship. I hope there is food on it. Let's swim to it.
Super. We found more food. That will keep us going a while.
Let's set off again.
Oh no man is sick.
Man dies.
Boy goes and stands on the road on his own.
Some other guy comes over and says Come with me kid, I'll look after you.
Do you eat children man?
No.
Okay.

The end.

Really frustrating. It's kind of pointless and the author seems to miss out all the stuff you want to hear about what happened to the earth, how and why the man and boy inexplicably lived through it and so on. It's as though he couldn't be bothered coming up with explanations for that because it would have required some actual story telling and brain power!

2Has anybody read THE ROAD  Empty Re: Has anybody read THE ROAD Tue Jul 02 2013, 01:38

waynagain

waynagain
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Sounds like even if there are only two people left after the 'apocolipse', they don't want to live in Bolton

3Has anybody read THE ROAD  Empty Re: Has anybody read THE ROAD Tue Jul 02 2013, 21:36

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I've seen the film, and its pointless, mystifying, and just plain boring. Always waiting for something to happen, but it doesn't. It's shite.

4Has anybody read THE ROAD  Empty Re: Has anybody read THE ROAD Tue Jul 02 2013, 21:44

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gloswhite wrote:I've seen the film, and its pointless, mystifying, and just plain boring. Always waiting for something to happen, but it doesn't. It's shite.

kind of mirrors life in that regard.

5Has anybody read THE ROAD  Empty Re: Has anybody read THE ROAD Tue Jul 02 2013, 22:13

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:

kind of mirrors life in that regard.

Life is a journey, not a destination. There is more to life than Aberdeen.

6Has anybody read THE ROAD  Empty Re: Has anybody read THE ROAD Tue Jul 02 2013, 22:23

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

yeah, we used to say that when we lived in Elgin Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum