Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is Ramadan the stupidest thing ever?

+5
Reebok Trotter
scottjames30
xmiles
Soul Kitchen
Michael Bolton
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Is Ramadan the stupidest thing ever? Empty Is Ramadan the stupidest thing ever? Sun Jul 14 2013, 17:55

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

It is currently ramadan and that means that muslims cannot eat or drink during daylight hours. What the bloody hell is the point of that? Bloody religion honestly, its such a load of shit. 

Another thing I hate about their religion is that they have so many gorgeous women but they all have to cover up. I live in the same street as some Indians or where ever they are from, and one of the young women is stunning but she is always dressed in like a pair of pyjamas. 

Bloody stupid.

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Many years ago they stopped swimming at Smithills School for Ramadan just in case a muzzy swallowed some water! There was an outcry by the other parents and the muzzys were excused next time!! What a bunch of primitives they are!?

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

All religions have weird beliefs. Catholics are supposed to not use birth control; Jews aren't allowed to eat pork; Mormons cannot drink coffee. The basic problem is that religious belief is simply illogical. Unfortunately the majority of the human race claim to be religious.

It only really becomes a problem for the rest of us when the religious extremists try to force their crazy beliefs on the rest of us. And to a lesser extent when do gooder bleeding heart liberal idiots do things like ban the word Christmas because it might offend non-Christians.

xmiles wrote:All religions have weird beliefs. Catholics are supposed to not use birth control; Jews aren't allowed to eat pork; Mormons cannot drink coffee. The basic problem is that religious belief is simply illogical. Unfortunately the majority of the human race claim to be religious.

It only really becomes a problem for the rest of us when the religious extremists try to force their crazy beliefs on the rest of us. And to a lesser extent when do gooder bleeding heart liberal idiots do things like ban the word Christmas because it might offend non-Christians.

:agree:

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Yes religion is a load of bollocks, I think people only believe in it because they are superstitious and don't want to go to hell. But if 'God' was this all powerful, all loving being that they say he is, would he send someone to hell for not believing? I mean what evidence is there to believe a 'God' exists. And where does god live and what does he look like? Its crazy, it really is.

How did religion ever take off, surely in the ages of 1000BC they weren't religious in any way.
It is true that all religions have their weird beliefs but Muslims and Islam's have the most stupid ones with things like what they can wear, that they have to fast, that they have to pray like 10 times a day. Such a load of bollocks.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Michael Bolton wrote:Yes religion is a load of bollocks, I think people only believe in it because they are superstitious and don't want to go to hell. But if 'God' was this all powerful, all loving being that they say he is, would he send someone to hell for not believing? I mean what evidence is there to believe a 'God' exists. And where does god live and what does he look like? Its crazy, it really is.

How did religion ever take off, surely in the ages of 1000BC they weren't religious in any way.
It is true that all religions have their weird beliefs but Muslims and Islam's have the most stupid ones with things like what they can wear, that they have to fast, that they have to pray like 10 times a day. Such a load of bollocks.

I'm with you Mike, but there's only one thing that I can't get my head round ?

why can catholic priest's exercise demons , or is that a load of bollocks too?

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Religion is all about keeping the masses under control. People need to have a purpose in life and Religion offers hope to them. Of all the human emotions, hope is the only one that is stronger than fear.

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

All religions seem a bit odd to me as I am atheist, I mean I have never understood the whole jesus on a cross things you see people wearing...like if he actually came back he would want to see and re live that moment all over again.

I suppose celebrating christmas and having pictures of a big fat bloke with a white beard would look odd to other religions.

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

To be fair the rules on fasting are flexible, you don't have to fast if you are feeling unwell or have a physically demanding job and women are exempted if pregnant. Having short spells on reduced rations would benefit a lot of people, myself included, as we do eat far too much generally.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Some Catholics fast for Lent. If people feel the need to do it then that is their business but I can't see Michael Bolton or Magoo adding to their numbers.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Imagine how annoyed these people are going to be when they "find out" there is no "paradise"

and they've been starving themselves.

It's kind of like someone saying to you "if you cut your finger off I'll give you a million quid"

then after you do it you don't get any cash.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Christopher Hitchens was a very intelligent bloke. I would challenge anyone with a modicum of intelligence to disagree with most of what he advocated. This clip is over an hour long but it is well worth watching simply because he gets to the heart of the matter without any bullshit or pontification.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Imagine how annoyed these people are going to be when they "find out" there is no "paradise"

and they've been starving themselves.

It's kind of like someone saying to you "if you cut your finger off I'll give you a million quid"

then after you do it you don't get any cash.

It is one of these sort of things I would love to say to them "I told you it was a load of old bollocks" but unfortunately won't be able to.

It is bollocks though and we all know it is.

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Mike, your wrong lad, not everybody thinks it's bollox! And that's the problem!!

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think Ramadan is a good thing for religious people as is Lent, the Christian equivalent and Yom Kippur for Jews. All 3 are Middle Eastern traditions where believers are asked to take time out of their normal lives to think about spiritual matters and recharge their spiritual batteries.
It has little if any relevance to Westerners these days, although that wasn't always the case. Basically we're now so obsessed with the struggle to survive and compete in a capitalist society that religion has played an ever-decreasing role in our lives and we are on a treadmill that doesn't stop.
I think it does people good to step back every now and then and put our lives into perspective - and perhaps learn a little humility along the way so we can deal with other people with a bit more respect - which is something most of us would appreciate.
We all need a little time out every now and then, and for people that are religious this is a good way to do it.
OK religion sucks, but mainly because people don't behave as their religion advises them to - after all the advice that religion gives - e.g. the 10 Commandments - isn't bad advice - it just goes wrong when they don't take that advice or start trying to interpret it to fit their own desires and plans.
Taking time out to get back to the fundamental teachings is one of the few good things that religion offers to those that believe in their religion, because even if the entire belief structure is questionable, having calmer and more humble and respectful people can't be a bad thing.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

loads of things in the bible contradict the 10 commandments.

"thou shall not kill" (unless you're gay)

It's plain wrong to say they don't act "as their religion advises" the problem is the do act the way their advised.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

And then with Muslims for example you have massive contradictions in their interpretation of the Quran. Apparently it's not so much what is actually written in the Quran as the numerous hadiths (acts or tacit approval or disapproval ascribed either validly or invalidly to Muhammad) which are interpreted so differently. For example there is nothing in the Quran requiring women to wear the ludicrous clothes that extremists insist on - it is just the way primitive Arab tribes expected their women to dress.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:loads of things in the bible contradict the 10 commandments.

"thou shall not kill"  (unless you're gay)

It's plain wrong to say they don't act "as their religion advises" the problem is the do act the way their advised.

Must admit I missed the bit about gays you refer to, but that's not the point - the basic lessons are sound - the interpretations - including yours above are less so. As Xmiles points out we all know that religion has been used to further individual ambition and tribal warring e.g. Spanish Inquisition but if people are able to get back to the shared basic premises of love, peace, forgiveness and understanding we won't go far wrong as a species.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

There's nothing sound about letting a book, and thats what it is, a book, govern your life.

And you keep suggesting it's only lesson is "peace love and understanding" and I'm afraid that is complete nonsense.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum