Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Could you run a business?

+3
Banks of the Croal
bwfc71
doffcocker
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Could you run a business? Empty Could you run a business? Mon Aug 26 2013, 22:49

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I'm currently selling my dad's old vinyls on ebay. He's the stock provider, I do the hard work, and we split the profits 50/50. Obviously, it's no Bullshittam International plc - it's not a sustainable business model, but it's made me see how cut out I am for working for myself.

I'd love to start my own business.

Would you? Could you? Have you?

2Could you run a business? Empty Re: Could you run a business? Mon Aug 26 2013, 22:58

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I got made redundant at the end of October 2011.  From the redundancy I invested to become a shareholder in the Master Franchise business of Nandos for The Netherlands, for which I currently help with the financial books and in return get 35% of any profits and an annual salary.

I also started my own business, initially in The Netherlands and looking to open an office over here and with that I have gained the interest from the Angel Investors who wold want 40% of the business - not afraid to lose that much as it would mean I still have the controlling stake and they would provide is the further investment I need for the UK start-up - the business is all to do with sponsorships and linking school and youth projects with the correct sponsorship.  Its still all chicken feed at this moment in time which means I still need to work for a living but means I have very little freetime at weekends but all will come good in the end - well fingers cross it will.

3Could you run a business? Empty Re: Could you run a business? Mon Aug 26 2013, 23:42

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Tip from me would be Alternative Fuel, Gas and Leccy, way to dear.

4Could you run a business? Empty Re: Could you run a business? Mon Aug 26 2013, 23:54

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Yes, I have my own business.

Some little bits of advice I can offer -

Keep a control on all expenditure and know your cash flow.

Know your product or service inside out - before you start up.

Know all you can about your competitors.

Try to find something that gives you an edge - many people call this a unique selling point.

It's hard work and you will go through bad times - so don't stretch your finances too far.

Hope this helps a bit.

5Could you run a business? Empty Re: Could you run a business? Tue Aug 27 2013, 10:10

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

doffcocker wrote:I'm currently selling my dad's old vinyls on ebay. He's the stock provider, I do the hard work, and we split the profits 50/50.
How is it going? I have some old vinyl that I would like to sell myself.

6Could you run a business? Empty Re: Could you run a business? Tue Aug 27 2013, 12:04

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Im currently in the process of starting my own company. Im on the verge of redundancy at work due to a pending branch closure. Ive already told them I will take redundancy. I want to make my own money. Ive already bought my web domain and registerd my company name with companies house. Opening a bank account was the toughest bit yet, they want to see full buisiness plans. I should be going live in the next 4 months if all goes according to plan.

Next step is finding a premises and a couple of good staff.

Last edited by Reebok_Rebel on Tue Aug 27 2013, 12:06; edited 1 time in total

7Could you run a business? Empty Re: Could you run a business? Tue Aug 27 2013, 12:05

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok_Rebel wrote:Im currently in the process of starting my own company. Im on the verge of redundancy at work due to a pending branch closure. Ive already told them I will take redundancy. I want to make my own money. Ive already bought my web domain and registerd my company name with companies house. Opening a bank account was the toughest bit yet, they want to see full buisiness plans. I should be going live in the next 4 months if all goes according to plan.
I wish you good luck.

8Could you run a business? Empty Re: Could you run a business? Tue Aug 27 2013, 12:13

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Reebok_Rebel wrote:Im currently in the process of starting my own company. Im on the verge of redundancy at work due to a pending branch closure. Ive already told them I will take redundancy. I want to make my own money. Ive already bought my web domain and registerd my company name with companies house. Opening a bank account was the toughest bit yet, they want to see full buisiness plans. I should be going live in the next 4 months if all goes according to plan.
I wish you good luck.
What have you done with natasha?

I hope it works out too, part of my buisiness plan is to branch out to franchise within 5 years and purchase bwfc in 10 years...

9Could you run a business? Empty Re: Could you run a business? Tue Aug 27 2013, 12:25

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I admire anyone who takes the shit side of life (redundancy in your case) and turns it into something positive.

10Could you run a business? Empty Re: Could you run a business? Tue Aug 27 2013, 12:41

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Fair play

11Could you run a business? Empty Re: Could you run a business? Tue Aug 27 2013, 14:09

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

xmiles wrote:
doffcocker wrote:I'm currently selling my dad's old vinyls on ebay. He's the stock provider, I do the hard work, and we split the profits 50/50.
The best tip I can offer xmiles is to take care when packaging. We made what is apparently the first mistake in the book when we first started in just using jiffy bag material. Most of the buyers want purpose-made record mailers which eat at your margin but beat having to refund people.

It's tricky having no deck to test them because we can only describe them visually, which maybe knocks some off what people are willing to bid for them, but we've still made as much as £20 on some.

12Could you run a business? Empty Re: Could you run a business? Tue Aug 27 2013, 14:53

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

doffcocker wrote:
xmiles wrote:
The best tip I can offer xmiles is to take care when packaging. We made what is apparently the first mistake in the book when we first started in just using jiffy bag material. Most of the buyers want purpose-made record mailers which eat at your margin but beat having to refund people.

It's tricky having no deck to test them because we can only describe them visually, which maybe knocks some off what people are willing to bid for them, but we've still made as much as £20 on some.
Thanks.

13Could you run a business? Empty Re: Could you run a business? Wed Aug 28 2013, 17:09

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Next step is finding a premises and a couple of good staff.
The very best of luck with your venture Rebel, I truly hope it turns out a success.

As I've said above be very careful of your cash flow and keep costs down as much as you can.

Sounds to me as though you may have a high start up cost (premises, staff, stock, etc) to finance before you even earn your first penny.

Be sure to make sure you have the funds in place to survive until your income starts to flow in.

I'm sure you know this already but no harm in hearing it again from somebody else.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum