Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I'm back -

+7
Copper Dragon
doffcocker
Keegan
Hipster_Nebula
Natasha Whittam
Sluffy
jayjay23
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1I'm back -  Empty I'm back - Mon Mar 05 2012, 14:40

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Just went away camping in a flimsy summer tent - to the Yorkshire Dales. Set off on a sunny Friday morning - drove and drove and drove until we found the most remote spot we could. Pitched up.

Realised we didn't have the right gas bottle for our super duper camping stove - "never mind," says I, "Bill (name changed) has the bag of coal in his car we will BBQ everything." - Turns out the coal was forgotten and it was getting a bit chilly.

I had a bit of fire wood - it burned out within an hour and there were no trees to get wood from near where we were pitched. 3 of the four of us had injuries of one thing or another. Wood hunting was off the agenda.

We managed to eat some chicken (cooked before the death of the fire) and then decided to turn in for the night after dark. I had brought the wrong batteries for my lantern.

The sunny day was long gone now and the temperature was dipping toward zero. The tent was not built for these conditions. The cold air was seeping in through the huge mesh vents and the bedding felt damp to touch.

At least it wasn't raining.

Yet.

All four of us heard footsteps outside the tent. It was coming up midnight. Surely there should be nobody out there. We listened. The footsteps stopped. We grabbed our weapons of choice. A mallet. A hammer. A quite brilliant baseball bat. We waited... Nothing.

We were all zipped into our pods. To unzip would make too much of a racket and we didn't want to break the silence. Half an hour passed. Still nothing. And then. Footsteps. Loud, undisguised... deliberate. They were getting closer. It felt like they were within feet of the tent. I was surprised that I did not tremble. This time I could not sit there and listen. I shouted to the other pod. "Get up now. Someone out there!"

Me and the Bill both sprung into action. Sort of. We had left our torches in the middle pod and so had to fumble for our respective zips. It probably took us nearly two minutes to get out of our nylon prison, get our shoes on, grab our torches, and get out... Both of us stumbled out of the tent, one from either exit, while the girls stayed in their not very protective sleeping-bag cocoons.

Our powerful 5 million candle emergency torches lit up the night. A two man search party circled the tent and the immediate area. Nothing. We checked the river bank and behind country walls. We looked in every conceivable hiding place. Nothing.
We then came to a sort of brow of a hill and could see down to a road. We could just make out the shape of a big rectangle and presumed it to be a truck. We stood there for a few minutes and listened. Torches off. One eye on the (not too far off) tent.

A loud bang shattered the silence and seemed to rumble across the hill. It was an unfamiliar sound but after some thought we had no option but to assign blame to a truck door possibly slamming on the rectangle.
It was easier to cling to that thought than say we didn't know what it was.

After waiting a while we turned and headed for our tent. We couldn't find anything amiss and were happy to be heading back to the relative (but still fridge like) warmth of the tent. Everything seemed ok now - but our troubles were only just beginning...

(I'll tell you the rest later I am bored of typing for now.)

2I'm back -  Empty Re: I'm back - Mon Mar 05 2012, 14:47

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Can't wait!

3I'm back -  Empty Re: I'm back - Mon Mar 05 2012, 14:54

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

So, to cut a long story short, you went on a camping trip with your camp friends and got scared by a few noises.

4I'm back -  Empty Re: I'm back - Mon Mar 05 2012, 15:02

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I hope this story is true Jayjay, if it isn't leave the fanciful nonsense to Nat.

5I'm back -  Empty Re: I'm back - Mon Mar 05 2012, 15:07

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:I hope this story is true Jayjay, if it isn't leave the fanciful nonsense to Nat.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, he failed his medical!!!

6I'm back -  Empty Re: I'm back - Mon Mar 05 2012, 15:37

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Natasha Whittam wrote:So, to cut a long story short, you went on a camping trip with your camp friends and got scared by a few noises.

Well if you put it like that...

Anyway. You have now got yourself banned from reading the rest of what happened.

7I'm back -  Empty Re: I'm back - Mon Mar 05 2012, 15:38

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Hipster_Nebula wrote:I hope this story is true Jayjay, if it isn't leave the fanciful nonsense to Nat.

It's true. It gets better/worse.

8I'm back -  Empty Re: I'm back - Mon Mar 05 2012, 17:08

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

I'm back -  TCp90

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

9I'm back -  Empty Re: I'm back - Mon Mar 05 2012, 17:45

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I'd been planning a "Where's JayJay?" thread for one of the coming few days.

Welcome back.

10I'm back -  Empty Re: I'm back - Mon Mar 05 2012, 20:59

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Wouldn't it be weird if I had popped my clogs and never come back - ever. I mentioned this on BA one time. You kind of form little online relationships to people who you never really know. There should be an official way of pronouncing somebody as "internetually dead". You know so people could grieve for their missing forum pals.

1-4 weeks without coming on = presumed "on holiday"
4-8 weeks without coming on = presumed "missing"
8-18 weeks = presumed "dead"
18+ weeks = officially "internetually dead"

...or something like that?

11I'm back -  Empty Re: I'm back - Mon Mar 05 2012, 21:36

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Can you stop with this rubbish and get on with why you nearly died?

or is this a pay series?

12I'm back -  Empty Re: I'm back - Mon Mar 05 2012, 21:45

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

So let me get this straight......

You went camping...

You took a tent that wasn't adequate.

You didn't have the correct gas bottle for cooking.

You took a Barbecue but forgot the charcoal.

The majority of you were injured.

You took the wrong sort of batteries for your lamp.

You heard noises coming from the outside of your freezing damp tent.

Let's assume it's all true, here's what I think.....

You were all pissed up in the pub and decided to go camping with no thought and no plan. One of your lot brought a load of magic mushrooms and a bag of Jamaican mountain cabbage and you all thought that you heard noises and got paranoid.

If that's not the case then I hope that everything in your house is wrapped in bubblewrap and all the sharp implements are locked away safely. Obvoiusly the gas and electric are disconnected as well.

13I'm back -  Empty Re: I'm back - Mon Mar 05 2012, 21:51

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Welcome to Jay Jay's world!

14I'm back -  Empty Re: I'm back - Mon Mar 05 2012, 22:02

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Copper Dragon wrote:...One of your lot brought a load of magic mushrooms and a bag of Jamaican mountain cabbage...

Razz

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

15I'm back -  Empty Re: I'm back - Tue Mar 06 2012, 09:19

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Copper Dragon wrote:So let me get this straight......

You went camping...

You took a tent that wasn't adequate.

You didn't have the correct gas bottle for cooking.

You took a Barbecue but forgot the charcoal.

The majority of you were injured.

You took the wrong sort of batteries for your lamp.

You heard noises coming from the outside of your freezing damp tent.

Let's assume it's all true, here's what I think.....

You were all pissed up in the pub and decided to go camping with no thought and no plan. One of your lot brought a load of magic mushrooms and a bag of Jamaican mountain cabbage and you all thought that you heard noises and got paranoid.

If that's not the case then I hope that everything in your house is wrapped in bubblewrap and all the sharp implements are locked away safely. Obvoiusly the gas and electric are disconnected as well.

Pretty accurate. No mushrooms etc.

See this is what happened.

A random suggestion to go camping was made at the last minute. My tent was damaged. Bill assured me it was ok he had a good tent we could borrow. "Good tent" turned out to mean a big tent - as opposed to a protective one. Bill was also supposed to bring the coal. The lantern is one I bought on the way up - thought I had batteries in my bag. Bill got a bit merry while putting the tent up and went over on his ankle. My girlfriend slipped in the mud and twisted her knee. Oh and Bill and his GF were supposed to pick up gas for the stove and instead of bringing bbq style gas they brought those little canisters of stuff... Now I think about it - I need to have a word with the Bill half of the camp for coking everything up!

Needless to say we will be going to a regular camp site next time - and I will be personally checking that everything is done!

16I'm back -  Empty Re: I'm back - Tue Mar 06 2012, 09:21

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Can you stop with this rubbish and get on with why you nearly died?

or is this a pay series?

You can buy part two of my camping trip by clicking here.JayJays survival guide 17.99

17I'm back -  Empty Re: I'm back - Tue Mar 06 2012, 09:43

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

jayjay23 wrote:My girlfriend

I was prepared to believe your story until you went into the realms of fantasy.

18I'm back -  Empty Re: I'm back - Tue Mar 06 2012, 09:51

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

LoL.

Leave me alone you internet bully.

I will write the rest later by the way - just got a lot to do. I'll make it brief I think.

19I'm back -  Empty Re: I'm back - Tue Mar 06 2012, 21:50

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Here is the end of the story. I can't be bothered writing it like I did the first part though...

Friday night after we finally settled down I decided to get up for a wee. After the sunny day it was now a total contrast. The wind was strong. The tent was getting blown about. And on getting out of the tent I realised it was foggy. I mean major fog. I couldn't see the cars parked less than 10 metres away. Just as I started to go back to the tent, after voiding my bladder, the heavens opened. Torrential rain began. And did not stop.

So we got up on Saturday, the rain still pouring. Outside the tent was a mud bath. Inside the central part of the tent was wet. Bill and his GF decided to drive into town for supplies. They got coal and a new stove to fit our gas canisters. We had enough stuff now to keep us going. We just hoped the weather would clear up...

Me and Bill built a shelter so we could have a fire. The women faffed about in the tent for most of the day. The rain did not let up aside from the odd ten minute spell. It was mostly a miserable felling in the camp.

The rest of Saturday passed without incident and by about 9pm the rain stopped and the skies cleared completely. At first we thought it was a good thing and then we realised how much colder it went. It was zero degrees and windy. We were all very cold in the tent again when we went to bed.

No footsteps outside on this night but the rain eventually started again and the tent was leaning sideways. Never mind - we are going home tomorrow...

Woke up on Sunday morning to find the central part of the tent bowed in under the weight of the SNOW! Bugger. It was snowing. The hill was covered. We thought it would be a right pain to pack everything up in a mini blizzard and decided to eat bacon barms instead. But then we started to think about the state of the roads. We were on top of the hills in the middle of nowhere and the roads were getting covered more and more with snow...

We had to set off now or risk another night in the useless tent with possibility of snow getting worse. We had no phone signal and no way to contact anyone. Nobody really knew where we were either.

Anyhow. We got ourselves packed up and ready to go. The snow was turning sleety and was luckily struggling to stick to the road where we were parked. We could not be sure what lay ahead. One thing we did know for certain was how dangerous, winding, desolate and lonely the road was on the way here - and that's on a clear sunny day. To attempt to navigate that road, with it's many steep drops and edges, in the snow could be suicide - but so could staying out in the snow.

We set off - back the way we came.

To cut a long story short the road was dangerous and the going was slow. You know how hard it is driving down a normal road in the snow - well times it by ten. Steep hills, both cars slipping and sliding - we were just lucky the snow had not fully taken hold.

We came across a farm house and there was a lady outside putting rubbish in the bin. We stopped and I asked her what the protocol is up here in weather like this... She basically said we could not keep going the way we were going as her husband had gone to town several hours ago and had called to say he was stuck and couldn't get back. And he was in a 4x4 - and we were not. She advised us of a new route which involved going deeper into the hills to try and get out the other way. That way, she said, "is always clear"...

Now I don't know if she was winding us up or if we took a wrong turn but it didn't end well.

I can tell I am starting to rush this a bit just as it's getting good. If you would like to complain just write out a quick email, print it out on A4 paper and pop it in your bottom.

In fact, I think I'll finish this tomorrow now...

Night all.

Last edited by jayjay23 on Tue Mar 06 2012, 22:02; edited 1 time in total

20I'm back -  Empty Re: I'm back - Tue Mar 06 2012, 22:00

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I hope that you don't contract malaria or get kidnapped by Mexican bandits in the end.

I doubt that your tent has a mosquito net or machine gun nest.

Always be prepared.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum