Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Match tactics behind Bolton Wanderers star Liam Feeney's lack of impact

5 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Dougie Freedman does not think the uncertainty over Liam Feeney’s immediate future played any part in his low-key performance against Sheffield Wednesday.

After a bright start, the winger faded in the first half before being substituted on the hour mark for Chung-Yong Lee.

He faces the prospect of being recalled early by Millwall after next weekend’s home game against Ipswich Town, with the Lions pressing for a permanent deal to be done before the end of his three-month stay at the Reebok is over.

Wanderers have refused but Freedman says it was tactics and not confidence that led to a quieter day for the 26-year-old wide man.

“They defended very, very deep and every time he put the ball in behind them it ran out for a goal kick,” he said.

“Liam didn’t suit this kind of game. It was more of a technical game, driving inside, so I tried to swap the wingers quickly and get a little bit of width. Chungy came in on the right and it seemed to work.

“I don’t think with 20 minutes to go we were that far away from either getting a set piece or opening them up.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Ohhh-kay, well I think me and Doug must have been watching different matches because so far as I could tell we NEVER looked like opening them up even when they went down a man. And what does 'I thought we were close to getting a set-piece' mean? A corner? a Free kick? Please clarify this Doug because if your entire game plan is to hope for something like that then maybe people like Natasha are right and you should be on your way ASAP.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

if we insist on playing it long its no wonder he didn't see any of the ball. He did look dangerous when he did get the ball so god knows why Dougie didn't take off Eagles first, he was awful!

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

To be fair we did pull Wednesday apart when Lee came on - once when the ball fell to Lee on the edge of the box and he scuffed it, once when Lee put Eagles in and he skied it into the North Stand Upper, and then Lee put it on a plate for Beckford who chipped it into Kirkland's hands. We also had a couple of other chances, notably the Ream header which Kirkland saved well.

The reason we created chances was because we were pressing and had players in their box.

Note to Dougie: if we tried pressing teams we might actually win some matches. Cautious teams win fuck all.

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Natasha Whittam wrote:To be fair we did pull Wednesday apart when Lee came on - once when the ball fell to Lee on the edge of the box and he scuffed it, once when Lee put Eagles in and he skied it into the North Stand Upper, and then Lee put it on a plate for Beckford who chipped it into Kirkland's hands. We also had a couple of other chances, notably the Ream header which Kirkland saved well.

The reason we created chances was because we were pressing and had players in their box.

Note to Dougie: if we tried pressing teams we might actually win some matches. Cautious teams win fuck all.

The same CYL who had two assists for Korea last week during international play.  He should have had one with us, except for our poor finishing.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum