Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dougie Freedman aiming to get Bolton Wanderers to shut up shop

+6
terenceanne
Natasha Whittam
Bolton Nuts
doffcocker
wanderlust
karlypants
10 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Dougie Freedman plans to call “time out” the next time Wanderers take the lead.

Desperate times call for drastic measures and the Whites boss is now preparing to put a heavy emphasis on safety when his side next gain an advantage.

On six occasions this year Wanderers have forged ahead and the only time three points have remained intact was in the club’s solitary victory of the campaign against Birmingham City.

Reading, Derby County, Brighton, Sheffield Wednesday and now Ipswich have all battled back to take a point or more – meaning the average length of a Wanderers lead this season is just 26-and-a-half minutes, or 14 minutes at the Reebok.

“It certainly gets to be a concern,” Freedman admitted. “We have done it in games against Derby, Sheffield Wednesday and others as well – we get in the lead and I think we might now need to change the system right away.

“It might now be a case of holding on to what we have got rather than going to try and get two or three, which is what I think the fans deserve. That’s the next port of call.

“A time out is what we need. We need to get out on that pitch on the training ground and work out a system that helps us when we go 1-0 up.”

Freedman reverted to a 4-4-2 formation to match Ipswich but does not believe his side’s lack of form is down to tactics.

“I think we have tried just about every player in every position this season,” he reasoned.

“We have tried 4-4-2, diamonds, anything else, we are trying our best and we are working hard on the training ground. The lads look fit, they look committed and fight to the death and they are taking the lead in most games we play in home or away. I believe we’re in a situation now where we have to change things because some players are a bit naive in terms of how we play when we go a goal up. We need to retain the ball a little bit better when we go ahead, so that’s the next little bit we need to do.

“I have certainly seen enough effort, enough organisation, we’re creating enough and I think the selection is fine. Maybe we put a couple of crosses across the box and you’d expect playing two strikers that one of them would be in there on the end of one of them.”

David Ngog also came under fire for his performance against Ipswich but Freedman refused to single him out – arguing that a number of his attacking players needed to be sharper in front of goal.

“You’ll never get me criticising players but he’s young and he’s just got to get into the knack of scoring goals on a regular basis, which he has never really been in,” he said.

“He didn’t let us down today. He was asked to get in behind the defence with his diagonal runs and he did that. It was just that end result that was missing – not only from David but from the whole team right now.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Retaining possession - yes please. Trying to "shut up shop" with a one goal advantage? That's just asking for trouble.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

The defence is a problem throughout, not merely when we're winning. What's more, it's definitely not the only problem. I don't think anybody in the stadium could believe we were winning given how poor we'd been going forward.

Bolton Nuts

Admin

As I mentioned in another thread. Conversing a goal here and there is fine. Its scoring more that we need to do.

The example of the only three points from this season is also the ONLY game where we went on to bag a second goal!

Hanging on at 1-0 is not an option.

https://boltonnuts.forumotion.co.uk

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I recall a GMR interview with Dougie last season around the time that he was just starting to turn it round. I'd never heard somebody talk so passionately about the importance of defending well and keeping clean sheets. It worried me.

I know if you keep a clean sheet, the most goals you need to win is one, but if you score four goals, you can let in as many as three and win.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:
I know if you keep a clean sheet, the most goals you need to win is one, but if you score four goals, you can let in as many as three and win.
No shit, Sherlock.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:
doffcocker wrote:
No shit, Sherlock.
You fanny rash.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:You fanny rash.

I think it's time you moved on, I am the big fish around here, you will always be outside looking in.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

11 defenders on the pitch should do the trick...... I told you Doogie is a genius.

Lyric Todkill

Lyric Todkill
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

wanderlust wrote:Retaining possession - yes please. Trying to "shut up shop" with a one goal advantage? That's just asking for trouble.
He refuses to learn his lessons

Dick

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

So thirteen matches in and the penny has finally dropped that clean sheets mean points!?! Easier said than done with our donkeys!!!

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Exactly what I was thinking when he spoke in his interview after the game, it's taken him this long to realise that we need to do something once we take the lead.

My only problem with this is that it now gives him more of an insentive to go even more defensive when we go a goal up.

Tigermin

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Was this a Megson transcript from a few years ago ??? This guy is in charge of our team ffs !! After trying to put El Prat on in the 94th minute ( and failing ) on saturday I now have no faith whatsoever in the little rambling jock shit. Fuck off back to Palace asap you utter bellend !!

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Dougie does strike me as a younger version of Megson, however a lot of it comes down to Lennie Lawrence IMO. A lot of Palace said when he first came that Dougie hangs on his every word and at the moment I can see what they mean.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum