Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Neil Danns backing Bolton Wanderers front pairing to shine

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Neil Danns is tipping Wanderers’ front two to carry on firing against Millwall.

Both David Ngog and Jermaine Beckford got on the scoresheet against Bournemouth last weekend, with Beckford now boasting three goals in his last four starts.

And Danns believes both men are hitting a rich vein of form at the perfect time to help Dougie Freedman’s side break their home duck on Saturday afternoon.

“I can’t give them enough credit at the moment,” said the on-loan midfielder. “They are doing exactly what they are being asked to do, working hard, and now the goals are coming for them too.

“You hope that continues for them, and I think it will. Both of them have got that pace that frightens defenders.

“I’ve played with Becks for a number of years now and he’ll always get those chances because of it and those clever runs he makes in behind the back four.

“David has come in over the last couple of games and he also has a habit of making the ball stick – and that’s good for us because it gives us something to play off.”

Dougie Freedman has limited senior options up front with Craig Davies still struggling for full fitness.

Of the younger players coming through, Tom Eaves and Conor Wilkinson have been sent out on loan, while Sanmi Odelusi has been played primarily in a wider position.

Zach Clough, prolific in the youth ranks, has yet to be given a first team start but has two goals in five games for the Under-21 this term.

The Wanderers boss is in the market for reinforcements from the loan market but has ruled out any move for Cardiff City’s Rudy Gestede, who had been linked at the weekend.

It remains to be seen whether he will persist with a front two for the third game running, or indeed with the counter-attacking style that brought success at Dean Court.

Fans have been frustrated with the lack of attacking prowess shown at the Reebok since the start of the season and the last four games at home have all ended in a draw.

Danns reckons that organisation is key to making it successive wins for the first time since April and has appealed for patience on the terraces.

“We’re grinding this out and I think the fans know that,” he said. “We’re still creating chances even though we’re playing on the counter attack and I think we could have scored three, four or five against Bournemouth.

“If we carry on playing that kind of football I’d imagine the fans will be fine with that.

“Football is funny – sometimes people don’t appreciate the tactical side of things.

“If we’d gone to Bournemouth and started to chase the game then holes would have appeared. We sat off them, kept solid and never let them break our shape and in the end we got our rewards.

“Probably some of their fans are thinking ‘we had so much of the ball, why didn’t we do more with it?’ And I could hear our fans shouting at me to close him down but if I do that and he pops it round me I break the whole team shape.

“I think we got it spot on against Bournemouth and we need to do that again against Millwall.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum