Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Do we appreciate attacking football more under Freedman?

+6
Boggersbelief
Banks of the Croal
Reebok Trotter
scottjames30
Natasha Whittam
doffcocker
10 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

There was an instance this afternoon, not long into the first half where Eagles hit a dangerous looking cross into the box. It was headed away not that uncomfortably, before half the stadium stopped to appreciate and applaud it, as though we'd put together 25 passes before shooting just wide.
I've noticed this a few times now. We go for massive periods without doing anything positive, then when somebody finally does, a brief sense of euphoria sweeps across the stadium.

It's human nature to appreciate the things you like more the less you have of them. Perhaps we can take some comfort from the idea that what little attacking football we see under Dougie comes with that novelty.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

To be fair I thought we did try to attack today - people seem to think Pratley is a defensive player but he's the exact opposite. It's a shame he's shite.

But Eagles isn't the player he was - last season he'd have skinned that full-back time and time again - today he couldn't do it once and resorted to lofting crosses in during the last 20 minutes.

Moritz came on and didn't look like he could be arsed. Chung Lee is too slow and no longer seems to want to beat a defender, or perhaps he simply knows he can't. Mavies is an offensive player but, I'm sorry to say folks, isn't very good.

To be able to attack you have to have players who can use the ball wisely and generally have a bit of pace.

We don't have any.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

To be fair the team tried today but they are just shite.

Its the taking part that counts anyway.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I think we constantly see players picking the ball up in promising positions, then not capitalising on it either for lack of options ahead or simply having the wrong mentality.

We've got a skinny 5 ft 10 player up front alone, and we've got too many players that want to take 18 touches before finally delivering an end product, not to mention the constant gutless and unimaginative backwards and sideways passing.

Add it all up and you've got a team that struggles to score goals. I know we scored two today but we didn't create clear-cut chances with any consistency.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Why was Beckford not in the starting line-up?

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Reebok Trotter wrote:Why was Beckford not in the starting line-up?

Because he scored in the last match.

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Towards the end we gave it a go and in my opinion got out of jail,with the result.

For me as a paying fan, it JUST wasn't good enough.

Along with countless other games at The Reebok this season.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Nat you can't have a pop at Mark Davies yet, when he's match fit he will destroy teams.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Freedman has some explaining to do. He's taking the piss

I'd expect Dougie would say he was rotating the squad as it's such a busy period. But given the break Beckford's just had that clearly isn't necessary. I'd have him in week in week out from now, strikers need consistent runs in the team.

CAMPO

CAMPO
Nicky Hunt
Nicky Hunt

Did you see his attempt at a volley near the end today, he's fucking rubbish and he doesn't give a shit

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:I'd expect Dougie would say he was rotating the squad as it's such a busy period. But given the break Beckford's just had that clearly isn't necessary. I'd have him in week in week out from now, strikers need consistent runs in the team.

He is the closest thing we have had to Klasnic. Granted , he has had a few misses but he is our best chance of a goal, so for me , he should be playing every week unless injured. Strikers thrive on confidence and Beckford did nothing wrong against Leicester.

White84

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Nat talks through her flaps Mark Davies set Baptiste goal up with a superb pass.

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Do we appreciate attacking football more under Freedman?

No. I see passing sideways as a form of attacking. All of the top Premiership teams are experts at sideways passing for long periods.

https://boltonnuts.forumotion.co.uk

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Doff is making the "absence makes the heart grow fonder" argument and I agree although it's perhaps more relief when we get forward than anything.

I also recognise that it's not the manager's fault - the basic problem is this:
We started the season in a more attacking vein and got absolutely thumped on the break, conceding way too many daft goals.
Making the defence more secure became the top priority, but as Dougie doesn't have better defenders to bring in since Tierney's injury and Wheater's loss of form (although he might have tried the lad he sent out to Colchester) he has had to shuffle the back four playing Baptiste out of position and load up with defensive midfielders.
That settled it down a bit, but it took away from the attacking options and we became more boring to watch but got enough results to get out of immediate relegation problems.
January could be a watershed moment for the team if we sign a decent left back as for the first time this season, Dougie may have the option to change the system - and therefore his selections.
Personally, I don't think he'll change things too quickly even if we do get a quality LB but it would at least give him the option.
If he goes for it, we may see a more attack-minded team than we're used to.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum