Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hierro says he would be honored to manage Bolton Wanderers

+10
Copper Dragon
Hipster_Nebula
Natasha Whittam
luckyPeterpiper
Soul Kitchen
wanderlust
Reebok_Rebel
scottjames30
Keegan
White84
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:Being serious for a moment I once read an article where Alex Ferguson said that the truly great players often make BAD coaches and managers. The reason is that the true greats don't understand why the game is harder for most mere mortals than them. They don't grasp that what they do instinctively is something that ordinary players have to work very hard to acquire. 

He used Cantona as an example. He said Cantona's passing was sublime because Cantona had already had a look around BEFORE he got the ball, read where his team mates and the opposition were and where they were going to be and sent the pass into the right man's path or direct to feet. Eric never quite grasped why lesser players got the ball THEN had a look up to see where the best pass was or if there was a shot on. He did it ALL instinctively, with natural talent that can't be coached but like geniuses in every walk of life truly great footballers often simply don't have the right personality or the patience to teach others of lesser ability. 

Big Sam is a case in point; he was never a world beater as a player but no one can doubt his credentials as a manager now. Bobby Charlton was a truly great player but a poor manager because he (by his own admission) didn't have the patience to walk players through all the things he'd done automatically.

I couldn't agree more. Some of the most successful managers in the modern game were not great players. Wenger, Mourinho and Sven spring to mind.

Bobby Moore and Bryan Robson were great players but couldn't make the transition into great managers.

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Who knows whether he would make a good manager or not. But their is only one way you are ever going to find out.

Personally I would love to see him start his managerial career here, if it doesn't work out then so be it but you never know what someone is capable of until they are given the chance.

White84

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

But Bobby Robson and Brian Clough were great players as I said.Just Becuase someone has been a good player does not automatically mean that they will be a bad manager.Thats like saying all great managers were shit players.there are exceptions to every rule.There are lots of ex players who make good managers.Steve Bruce at Hull,Martinez at Everton were good players.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

White84 wrote:Hipster nebula ! You would not invite that guy to a party would you.Talk about piss on your bonfire.He would be one of those present at them cults who do a mass suicide Becuase they think a comet is going to take them to Shangri lar.If he was at your party he would probably cause an instantaneous mass suicide once he had opened his NEGATIVE Scotch Gob.

Is this really necessary?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:

Is this really necessary?

I don't know, I don't understand it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic