Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Timeline: A history of the Reebok Stadium

5 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

As Bolton Wanderers bid farewell to the Reebok Stadium and start a new era with the Macron Stadium, we look at the history of the ground.

1997: The all-seater Reebok Stadium with a capacity of 28,723 is completed, replacing the club’s old ground Burnden Park. It is opened by Labour’s deputy prime minister John Prescott.

The first competitive match between Wanderers and Everton on September 1 ends in a 0-0 draw.

1999: The lowest attendance for a competitive match was recorded when Wanderers played Gillingham in the second round of the League Cup.

2000: The stadium is used for the Rugby League World Cup Semi-Final between England and New Zealand.

2001: Home of the Wanderers hosts rugby league’s World Club Challenge Grand Final between Australian side Brisbane Broncos and St Helens.

2003: Wanderers record their highest Premier League crowd of 28,353 in the clash against Leicester City on December 28.

2004: Record League Cup attendance of 18,037 is recorded in the third round tie against Tottenham Hotspur.

2005: Piano man Elton John plays at the Reebok and Coldplay film the video for hit single Fix You during two sell out concerts at the stadium.

2005 Bolton boxing star Amir Khan won wins last match of his amateur career beating Mario Kindelan at the Reebok.

2008: Reebok gets its lowest Premier League attendance of 17,014 against Derby County on January 2.

2008: Wanderers hit the heights in Europe with a record UEFA Cup attendance of 26,163 against Atletico Madrid on February 14.

2013: The Reebok hosts its 10th consecutive UK Open Darts Championship.

2013: Wanderers unveil a bronze statue of their most famous player, Nat Lofthouse, ahead of the game against Queens Park Rangers on August 24.

2014: Wanderers announce name and sponsorship change from Reebok Stadium to Macron Stadium.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Numpty 28723

Numpty 28723
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

October 2013: Somebody leaves a half eaten hamburger on a ledge above one of the urinals in the East Stand Upper.

April 2014: It's still there.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

August 2008: Prayer room opened in West Stand lower concourse for half time worship.

September 2008: Security guard stationed outside prayer room door at half time due to previous stink bomb incident.

August 2009: Prayer room changed to Quiet room. Security guard no longer required.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Its a bit much when we all have to pray for a win at half time ! Probably closed it because they couldn't get us all in there, and with all the moaning, it was never going to be quiet !  Smile

Alf Hooker

David Lee
David Lee

The breezeblock was and is a shite faceless, soulless prefab of a ''Venue'' - pick it up and move it and it could be anywhere else in the country, the same as all the new grounds - It should never have been built in fuckin Horwich in the first place and I'm still waiting for the 'fans consultation' we were promised at Burnden - Gartside and the Bolton board over the years have never given a shit about the fans so why should I give a shit about them? I can pinpoint the start of my dissillusion with BWFC right down to the moment they announced where it was going to be and the total lack of fans input. Bollocks to it - I don't even look at it as I drive down the M61 - evrey time I passed Burnden it gave me a little shiver of  pride/belonging/anticipation - whatever it was, the breezeblock doesn't give it me at all.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum