Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton's Lancashire status resurrected...

+3
Natasha Whittam
Soul Kitchen
Bolton Nuts
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Bolton Nuts

Admin

BOLTON’S historic place in the county of Lancashire could soon be resurrected — on the town’s road signs.

Council bosses will soon be able to put the traditional county names on boundary road signs, including those bordering Chorley and Darwen, under new government plans.

The current rules prevent unitary councils like Bolton from having a road sign saying "Lancashire", for fear it will confuse residents.

The plan is part of reforms announced by Eric Pickles, the MP in charge of local government, who has already announced changes to planning rules to allow councils to put up boundary signs marking traditional English counties.

The secretary of state said the new rules free local authorities from "Whitehall red tape" and help mark out England’s traditional county boundaries, which date back hundreds of years.

He said: “The tapestry of England’s counties binds our nation together, and is interwoven with our cultural fabric — from our cricket to our ales.

“Previous governments have tried to wipe the counties off the map, imposing bland administrative structures or alien euro-regions.

“But I believe we are stronger as a nation when we cherish and champion our local and traditional ties.

Read more...
http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/11177852.display/?ref=twtrec

Is it just me who thinks "who cares?" with a smattering of "yeah actually, it does confuse me!"

https://boltonnuts.forumotion.co.uk

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Bolton, Lancashire. That's my address and I do care!
Greater Manchester......... My Arse!!!!!

When I was at Uni in Birmingham back in the late 80's, it was the start of the whole "Madchester" thing with the Stone Roses, Happy Mondays and all that stuff.

Being able to say you lived anywhere near Manchester earned you immediate kudos amongst your peers, so I milked it for all it was worth.

Shameless, I know but if you want the ladies to like you.........

As I've grown older, I've definitely become more Lancastrian in my outlook.

I've worked in Yorkshire quite a bit and it's always nice to give 'em some shit about their lack of sophistication compared to us.

But then I go to places like Burnley and Blackburn and think: "Do I really want to be associated with this lot....?"

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bolton will always be Manchester to me.
Chorley is Lancashire.

Sorry, this should have read:

"But then I go to places like Burnley, Blackburn and especially Chorley and Preston and think: "Do I really want to be associated with this lot....?"

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wonder if they'll put Lancashire on Manchester's road signs again to "avoid confusion" for fans going to the Old Trafford cricket ground? Imagine the gnomes of GMC will block any attempts to undermine their power. "Greater Merseyside" should be returned to the fold too IMO.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

About time they put this back on the road signs I say!

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:Bolton will always be Manchester to me.
Chorley is Lancashire.

Closet red!?

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:Bolton will always be Manchester to me.
Bollocks. Bolton was ALWAYS part of Lancashire until the pen pushers and petty bureaucrats fcuked things up in 74.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Definitely Lancashire, always was

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum