Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

5 most enjoyable football moments in your life 5 worst

+3
boltonbonce
Reebok Trotter
White84
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

White84

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I think the play off final in 95 is up there due to the fact we were a penalty miss from being 3-0 down after 30 minutes.The 2-2 draw with Bayern Munich at the Allianz Arena fantastic game,stadium,atmosphere.
Almost getting a top 4 place finish under Sam.Finishing 6th but on the same points as Liverpool but a worse goal difference for 5th.
Smashing Ipswich 4-1 Bobic hat trick and Youri D 4-0 up at half time sent them back to the Championship.
Semi final 2nd leg v Swindon Town coming back from 3-1 down on agg after they went 1-0 up just after half time at Burnden Park the stadium rocked that night.
Now for the worst back to the 80's,losing to Aldershot in the relegation play off they had back then over two legs.Relegated to Division 4.
Relegated v Stoke 2012 after two appalling refereeing decisions,Bogdan barged over the line and Crouch,s dive over Bogdan when we were 2-1 up.Winning while hearing City were losing 2-1 to QPR.Only for them to score twice after our game had finished still Sickened to this day.
Ipswich town play off 2000 2 sent off 3 pens against us and 10 bookings.Barry Knight whenever I hear his songs I think off that cheating bald twat.Horrible drive home.Last season first 10 matches worst start for 100 years plus.
Last of my 5 standing on the Embankment while Nat Lofthouse appealed to the fans at half time(I think) launching the Bolton lifeline appeal as the club nearly went bankrupt.R.i.P Nat and a special mention to Bruce Rioch who led us through the divisions to the promised land. :COYW: 

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Pretty much the same for me. Bruce Rioch brought some pride back and did a great job. I am sure he must regret leaving us for Arsenal.

Barry Knight!!!!!  ::bigmachinegun:: 

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

PS. FA Cup quarter final away at Birmingham when Chungy scored the winner. A reet grand day out.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Agree with all of that 84,but your mention of Barry Knight has resulted in me having to log off and go for a lie down. Crying or Very sad

It was actually 12 yellows, 2 reds and 3 pens.

Not a single Ipswich player got booked.

Still maintain that game was rigged.

White84

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

One of my worst memories was at Wembley not the Stoke 5-0 that was a nightmare day.But v Aston Villa when Eidur Gudjohnson laid a sweet pass to dean Holdsworth and he didn't even need to beat the keeper David James as Eidur had rounded him square the ball all Deano needed to do was put it in the empty net and he hit the ball from about the penalty spot over the bar an empty net.OMG WTF worst miss and we would have been at Wembley again for the final.Still can't believe he missed.
We had 3 semi finals that year under Sam n lost them all.
But 2001 all was well with the world.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Losing to Boro in the 2004 League Cup final was a sickener.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Good choices White84! 

I am happy to go with your 5 highlights although winning the Cup in 1958 might edge one of them out (even though I was only 8 at the time)!

There do seem to be a lot more awful moments to dwell on though. I agree with the Aldershot, Stoke and Ipswich choices but I would replace the last two with being 3-0 up with 20 minutes to go against Chelsea in 1978 and losing 4-3 with an injury time own goal and being relegated in 1983 after losing 4-1 at Charlton despite taking the lead initially.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

xmiles wrote: I agree with the Aldershot, Stoke and Ipswich choices but I would replace the last two with being 3-0 up with 20 minutes to go against Chelsea in 1978 and losing 4-3 with an injury time own goal.

I remember that game and I am pretty sure we went in 3-0 up at half-time. Ian Greaves was the manager at the time.

Losing 3-0 to Tranmere in the 2nd leg of the league cup semi final, was one of the worst nights ever.

Enjoyable in no particular order:

Beating Reading 4-3 in the play-off final
Beating PNE 3-0 in the play-off final
Winning 3-1 at cup holders Arsenal at Highbury in 1994
Winning 2-0 at cup holders Liverpool at Anfield in 1993
Drawing 1-1 at Blackpool in the Sherpa Van Trophy Northern Final to take us to Wembley

Not enjoyable:

Too many to mention, but any defeat by Blackburn hurts most.

Reebok Trotter wrote:
xmiles wrote: I agree with the Aldershot, Stoke and Ipswich choices but I would replace the last two with being 3-0 up with 20 minutes to go against Chelsea in 1978 and losing 4-3 with an injury time own goal.

I remember that game and I am pretty sure we went in 3-0 up at half-time. Ian Greaves was the manager at the time.

As memory serves, my old man told me we were 3-0 up with about twenty minutes to go in that game.

I may be wrong, but I'm sure that's what he said back then.

Not happy at the time.....

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Cheers BTID. I knew I didn't imagine it. It's funny when you get older because your mind starts playing tricks on you. Back then you could turn up at any ground and buy a ticket for the away end. I had planned on going to Stamford Bridge that day but I had to work on the Saturday. I can remember putting the TV on and watching Dickie Davies on ITV's World of Sport and doing a fandango when the half time scores came up!

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

BoltonTillIDie wrote:

Crying or Very sad

White84

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I remember the match but I was only about 11.My first jaunt to London was when I went with my mate on the coach for a FA Cup tie v Crystal palace we lost 1-0 as centre half Gerry mclhenney spelling of his name might be wrong,gave away a penalty handball.Also highbury v Arsenal in the Cup we lost 2-1 graham Rix scored twice and pat Jennings was in the net.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

most enjoyable would be
the Sherpa Van Trophy win against Torquay
being at Highbury for the 3-1 cup win against Arsenal
the Reading play off final, what a come back!
watching Jay Jay score that amazing free kick against Villa in the league cup sem-final (i was more or less sat right behind it!)
the last game at Burnden park

the worst
losing to Tranmere in the play off final
losing to Watford in the play off final
not being able to get a ticket for the League cup final against Boro.
the 6-0 tonking off United at Burnden Park
the Stoke semi-final defeat.

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

I'll do one of each: 

Jamaica qualifying for the World Cup in 1997 Smile
Bolton getting relegated and QPR celebrating as if they had won summat. Sad

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum: