Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

On Your Marks

+2
wanderlust
karlypants
6 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1On Your Marks Empty On Your Marks Tue Aug 05 2014, 22:15

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The new season is upon us. Gone are the Adidas "Cookie Cutter" kits of last season and the hallowed name of The Reebok Stadium. In their place are smart, bespoke kits designed by our new stadium sponsor, Macron. 

Gone also, are Zatiyah Knight, Chris Eagles, Tyrone Mears and Marvin Sordell. Totally mixed bag there, as Knight had probably contributed in equal measure to goals scored at either end of the park last season before settling down to reclaim a spot at the heart of the defense - such as it was. Chris Eagles was acknowledged to be one of the brighter talents at the club but his inclination towards inconsistency in tandem with his Premier League wages and a reputed falling-out with the Manager, Doug Freedman, saw him spending much of his time watching games with Tyrone Mears who refused to go on loan when given the opportunity to do so.

Sordell however, is a different kettle of fish. Bought from Watford for the princely sum of £4 Million (same price paid for David Ngog - thanks, Owen!), he never seemed able to hold down a place in the team despite featuring for the Great Britain team in the Olympics. He was looking the part in the preseason last year this time - scoring goals and looking busy - and was then promptly sent on loan to Charlton where he spent the rest of the season. In fairness, he never set the world alight while there - apart from a hat-trick scored on April 21, 2014 against Sheffield Wednesday when his Charlton team were 2-0 down and staring relegation in the face.

He was snapped up by newly-promoted Burnley and has been scoring for fun in preseason games. He also came out and said the "homesickness" that had been ascribed to him was nonsense, as he rode off into the sunset. Burnley manager, Sean Dyche has worked with Sordell before and seems confident that he will be able to get the best out of a player that has promised so much - and to date, delivered so little.

We are now looking at going into the new season with two senior recognized strikers, in Jermaine Beckford and Craig Davies. Beckford missed a penalty during our Scandinavian tour but scored a screamer from 30 yards a week later while Davies has been busy and bustling despite looking a tad chubby. Youngsters Georg Iliev and Conor Wilkinson have been given a run out with the seniors in pre-season and Wilkinson in particular has shown signs of being able to contribute this season - so much so that Tom Eaves (bought for £1 Million on the strength of a hat-trick scored against the Wanderers in a pre-season match, thanks Owen!) has been shown the door but has not managed to find that target so far, either.

On the bright side, our defense has not looked this strong in years with cover and promise in each position. Indeed, so strong is the defensive lineup that young Cian Bolger is also likely to leave the Macron - loan or permanently - despite good performances during preseason. Dougie Freedman has been building from the back and is well stocked in the midfield as well as we await the return (again!) of Stu Holden. Doug has said he wants two or three more attackers in and that will mean two or three players have to leave. That is what I believe has prompted the nudges on Eaves and Bolger as he tries to accommodate the signings he wants to make for this season. Encouraging play in some preseason games has me eagerly in my blocks awaiting the starter's gun, but with my fingers and toes crossed, it may make it difficult for me to run!

Author: Keegan

2On Your Marks Empty Re: On Your Marks Tue Aug 05 2014, 23:58

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

If Dougie had actually got the strikeforce he is hoping to buy (and therefore the confidence to play 2 strikers) I'd share your guarded enthusiasm, but with the current strikers we have looked distinctly mid-table and impotent.
If we get a couple of decent strikers it could be very different but it won't happen in time for the Watford game and for a few after that whilst they settle in.

So until then, our only hope is for Beckford to come good. And he's a long way from convincing me that will be possible.

3On Your Marks Empty Re: On Your Marks Wed Aug 06 2014, 00:33

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

HE actually sold Bolger so there's more funds than I had expected right there - waiting on the dust to settle now and see who this mystery "20+ goal striker" he's reportedly after will turn out to be. Fingers and toes still crossed!

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

4On Your Marks Empty Re: On Your Marks Wed Aug 06 2014, 06:46

carrs

David Lee
David Lee

Keegan wrote:HE actually sold Bolger so there's more funds than I had expected right there - waiting on the dust to settle now and see who this mystery "20+ goal striker" he's reportedly after will turn out to be. Fingers and toes still crossed!
You will have to wait for any money worth counting from the Bolger deal provided he makes it and one of the big guns go for him with an open cheque book. With the phone and water bills deducted it's loose change for the tea money.

5On Your Marks Empty Re: On Your Marks Wed Aug 06 2014, 08:34

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

carrs wrote:
Keegan wrote:HE actually sold Bolger so there's more funds than I had expected right there - waiting on the dust to settle now and see who this mystery "20+ goal striker" he's reportedly after will turn out to be. Fingers and toes still crossed!
You will have to wait for any money worth counting from the Bolger deal provided he makes it and one of the big guns go for him with an open cheque book. With the phone and water bills deducted it's loose change for the tea money.
Yes - there is a sell-on clause apparently but for now he's another one off the wage bill so that helps.
But there must be some money as Dougie has made it clear he is after strikers so he can play with his preferred two up front system.

6On Your Marks Empty Re: On Your Marks Wed Aug 06 2014, 08:45

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i can't imagine we got much for Bolger and his wages would have been fairly low, a few more quid in the pot but not much!

7On Your Marks Empty Re: On Your Marks Wed Aug 06 2014, 08:54

carrs

David Lee
David Lee

Don't you realise how much a pitch costs these days. Still some more to shift to pay for the green stuff. Nobody should be assuming there is any money to spend unless it comes from a donation or addition to debts.

8On Your Marks Empty Re: On Your Marks Wed Aug 06 2014, 13:59

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We got 75k for Bolger

9On Your Marks Empty Re: On Your Marks Wed Aug 06 2014, 15:23

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

if thats all we got we should have kept him and sent him out on loan again! If he got a decent run in a team his worth would have gone up or he could have come back and battled for his place.

10On Your Marks Empty Re: On Your Marks Wed Aug 06 2014, 15:28

I hope we had a decent sell-on clause written in to the deal.

When they move him on, 10% of £30k should pay the utility bills for the stadium.....for about a week.......

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum