Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Experimental?

+4
JAH
Norpig
Natasha Whittam
Bolton Nuts
8 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Experimental? Empty Experimental? Wed Aug 20 2014, 10:13

Bolton Nuts

Admin

How about a bit of a change?

Sack McNoughton, Mills, Spearing, Trotter, Pratley - and get Reem out of left back...

White Wheater Threlkeld Moxey
Ream
Feeney Danns Medo Lee

Craig

But here lies the problem.
If I go five in midfield, I have to lose a man up top. Is i worth it? Or I could go narrow and sack the wingers but I don't want to.
I could drop Reem...

Feeney Danns Medo Lee

Mason
Craig

Or the wingers...

Ream
 Danns......... Medo
Mavies

CraigD... Mason

Have the current lot proved they can't do it? What exactly would you come up with that would change things?

https://boltonnuts.forumotion.co.uk

2Experimental? Empty Re: Experimental? Wed Aug 20 2014, 10:58

Sadly, I get the impression that this sort of speculative exercise is probably exactly what's going on in Freedman's office at Euxton on a daily basis.

"Well......I could try X over there on the left, drop Y and try playing Z just behind the striker.......
No, that won't work.......Erm.........What about playing three at the back and sticking X alongside Y and asking Z to run about more.....? What do you think, Uncle Len?" asks young Douglas, expectantly....

"Is it Tuesday?" asks Lawrence. "I like Tuesdays. It's Chicken soup for lunch. Have I had my tablets yet? Ooh look! A squirrel!"

It's almost enough to make you think they need help and sympathy, not derision......

3Experimental? Empty Re: Experimental? Wed Aug 20 2014, 11:28

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

When a team plays a different formation every week you know the manager doesn't have any sort of plan. It's not rocket science.

4Experimental? Empty Re: Experimental? Wed Aug 20 2014, 13:20

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ream needs to go back to centre back as soon as possible, Mills and Wheater are not a good combination. The diamond formation seems to work best from the times i've seen us play it.

5Experimental? Empty Re: Experimental? Wed Aug 20 2014, 13:55

JAH

JAH
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Breadman wrote:Sadly, I get the impression that this sort of speculative exercise is probably exactly what's going on in Freedman's office at Euxton on a daily basis.

"Well......I could try X over there on the left, drop Y and try playing Z just behind the striker.......
No, that won't work.......Erm.........What about playing three at the back and sticking X alongside Y and asking Z to run about more.....? What do you think, Uncle Len?" asks young Douglas, expectantly....

"Is it Tuesday?" asks Lawrence. "I like Tuesdays. It's Chicken soup for lunch. Have I had my tablets yet? Ooh look! A squirrel!"

It's almost enough to make you think they need help and sympathy, not derision......

But at Euxton they are probably arranging the names to make pictures of inanimate objects

6Experimental? Empty Re: Experimental? Wed Aug 20 2014, 16:17

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Natasha Whittam wrote:When a team plays a different formation every week you know the manager doesn't have any sort of plan. It's not rocket science.

We have not had a starting eleven since CYL and Holden got hurt in that awful preseason.

7Experimental? Empty Re: Experimental? Thu Aug 21 2014, 15:43

Bolton Nuts

Admin

So you are all ready to point the finger but nobody comes up with an alternative...

8Experimental? Empty Re: Experimental? Thu Aug 21 2014, 16:09

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Ir's a thankless task with the squad we have but here goes -

Bogdan in goal, I think he's played well since being dropped last season.

I think McNaught is injured and Moxey will be fit.  I don't like Wheater and Mills at the back.

So maybe the young lad Threkfold at right fullback (I think that's him who played there at the end of last season?), Ream and Wheater (or Mills) at centre backs - one who is big and strong, the other with a bit of skill and pace - hopefully to compliment each others skills and weaknesses - and Moxey as our only fit left back.

We still need someone to prop the defence up in front of them - so Spearing as the club 'leader' - although by most accounts Medo is the better player(?).

If I'm going to play two up front - Mason and Davies (I think Dougie will only go with one striker on Satutday) then I need a box to box player alongside Spearing - and not a number 10 sort of player - therefore (don't laugh) I'd put in Pratley and leave out Danns and or Lee for that role.

I would need pace and a bit of width, so the only real choice I have is Feeney who I'd play in his normal position of right wing.

That just leaves the left side of midfield - and as I've been daying for a long while now - we don't have anybody who naturally plays there at the club.

Lee hasn't done in that position, Trotter doesn't appear to have the engine, and as I can't think of anybody else, I would have to take a punt on Danns playing there.

Because of this I would have to alter my team slightly in that I would allow Feeney a freer role to go forward and therefore play more of a 4-3-1-2 sort of formation.

Not desireable but the best I can come up with, with what we have.

9Experimental? Empty Re: Experimental? Thu Aug 21 2014, 16:26

You're expending far too much time, thought and effort on this.

Dougie doesn't and they pay him......

10Experimental? Empty Re: Experimental? Thu Aug 21 2014, 16:31

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I wouldn't bother normally but I felt I needed to give Biggie some support on this his thread.

11Experimental? Empty Re: Experimental? Thu Aug 21 2014, 16:32

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The only support Biggie needs is from the men in white coats.

12Experimental? Empty Re: Experimental? Thu Aug 21 2014, 16:34

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:The only support Biggie needs is from the men in white coats.

Leave Biggie alone, he went to the club shop and bought me a ticket the other day.

13Experimental? Empty Re: Experimental? Thu Aug 21 2014, 16:39

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Sluffy wrote:I wouldn't bother normally but I felt I needed to give Biggie some support on this his thread.

Ta Sluffy!

14Experimental? Empty Re: Experimental? Thu Aug 21 2014, 16:51

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:
That just leaves the left side of midfield - and as I've been saying for a long while now - we don't have anybody who naturally plays there at the club.

Lee hasn't done in that position, Trotter doesn't appear to have the engine, and as I can't think of anybody else, I would have to take a punt on Danns playing there.
Tim Ream would be my choice especially if we went narrow with e.g. 4231 a la Dougie.
And I'd play Kellett at LB.

15Experimental? Empty Re: Experimental? Thu Aug 21 2014, 23:16

Bolton Nuts

Admin

scottjames30 wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:The only support Biggie needs is from the men in white coats.

Leave Biggie alone, he went to the club shop and bought me a ticket the other day.

You could have had my spare ticket if you pmd me for Boro...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum