Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

One to Watch - Brighton - Craig Mackail-Smith

+2
Copper Dragon
karlypants
6 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Born in Watford, Hertfordshire, Mackail-Smith started his career with the youth system at St Albans City in 1999. He was released at the end of the 2003 season and joined Arlesey Town where he played for only one season, a highlight of which was knocking Dagenham & Redbridge out of the FA Trophy.

He later joined Dagenham & Redbridge in 2004 when the club was in the Conference National. When he was at the club he scored 14 times in the league he picked up five yellow cards and he was also substituted three times, then on 29 January 2007 he was signed by Peterborough United with Dagenham retaining 15% of any future transfer fee.

Mackail-Smith had a slow start to life as a Peterborough United striker, playing only rarely in his first season in League Two. But when the side had reached league 1 he took up a regular forward position in the first team and he linked up well with the then Peterborough United striker Aaron McLean, Mclean would later move to Hull City in 2010.

Steve Claridge posted a scouting report on 23rd September 2008 on Mackail-Smith he described him as a "a rampaging Nordic Viking with his long blond hair", and he was impressed by the way he would pick up the ball and run at defenders, attacking at every opportunity in what Claridge described as a positive way. Mackail Smith managed to rack up 35 goals for the club during the 2010–11 season. The 35 goals that he scored during that season made him the most prolific scorer in England for the season and also bagged him the coveted prize of Football League One Player of the Year Award.

His then manager Darren Ferguson described him as a hard working front man who has an excellent goal to game ratio. When Mackail Smith was interviewed by BBC Sport in June 2011 he was quoted as saying that “I want to play at the highest level I can attain and I want to play in the Premier League, though obviously it all depends on what kind of club comes in for me”. On 29th May 2011 Mackail-Smith scored the second goal in the 3–0 win against Huddersfield Town at Old Trafford to clinch promotion for Peterborough United to the Championship. Prior to Mackail-Smith leaving for Brighton, Mackail Smith was the subject of bids from Premier League clubs including Queens Park Rangers.

In total Mackail-Smith scored 99 goals over 211 games in all competitions for Peterborough United.

On 4 July 2011 Mackail-Smith joined Brighton & Hove Albion for an initial £2.5million, possibly rising to £3.25million, signing a four-year deal. Mackail-Smith's first goal for Brighton was a winner against Portsmouth. Mackail-Smith then scored four goals in his next seven matches, including a double in a 3–3 home draw against Leeds United.

However, Mackail-Smith then hit a goal drought and struggled to score, hitting just one goal between October 2011 and February 2012, on 29th November against Derby County, although he was still a key player of Brighton's campaign, and was credited with more assists than any other player in the squad during that time.

In one match, a 2–0 win over Bristol City in January, he was elbowed in the face in the penalty area and had to come off with a black eye. He played Brighton's next match despite still having a heavily swollen eye. Mackail-Smith ended his goal drought by coming off the bench against the team he scored two against earlier in the season, Leeds United, to score at close range from a corner. Mackail-Smith's goal put Brighton 1–0 up and they eventually won the match 2–1.

On his 28th birthday he scored at the Amex Stadium for the first time in five months in a 3–0 win against Ipswich Town, and scored again the next weekend in a 1–1 draw with Doncaster Rovers. In total, Mackail-Smith scored 10 goals for Brighton, and he revealed his disappointment at his goal haul, which he largely put down to adapting to Brighton's passing style of football.

Mackail-Smith enjoyed a better start to the 2012–13 season, scoring four goals in two games, firstly against Barnsley and then scoring two spectacular goals against Burnley which saw him score a fantastic overhead kick during a 3–1 victory for the Seagulls.

Mackail-Smith has a unique record of scoring against Leeds United in every match he has played against them in his career. This includes five goals in three Brighton-Leeds matches.

Author: Sluffy

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

'Mackail-Smith enjoyed a better start to the 2012–13 season, scoring four goals in two games, firstly against Barnsley and then scoring two spectacular goals against Burnley which saw him score a fantastic overhead kick during a 3–1 victory for the Seagulls'

He was absolutely brilliant that day and not just because of the goals.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Whilst we are so fragile, this "One to Watch" series is starting to get my goat - basically because every player we come up against is a danger.
CMS was superb when he was at the Posh but has been a bit hit and miss at Brighton.

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

wanderlust wrote:CMS was superb when he was at the Posh but has been a bit hit and miss at Brighton.

The reason for that is he's had many injuries

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Copper Dragon wrote:
wanderlust wrote:CMS was superb when he was at the Posh but has been a bit hit and miss at Brighton.

The reason for that is he's had many injuries
I'm just glad it's not entitled "One to watch - Bolton reject Bafetimbi Gomis"

Or "One to watch - Wilfried Boner". Thankfully, that's somebody else's problem.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:Whilst we are so fragile, this "One to Watch" series is starting to get my goat - basically because every player we come up against is a danger.

You best get used to them Lusty as I've already done one for the next six teams we play!

What I try to do is find out who was voted player of the year for their club last season and if they are still there (one or two have been sold, or in Bury's case (Brian Jensen, ex Burnley) let go) do a little feature on them to give other Nutters something a bit different to read.

I guess for every 'good' player I do under the 'One to Watch' the other teams have probably got six or seven ordinary players in their side too, that I don't do a feature on - One's not to Watch I could call it if I did!

Anyway, the articles are clearly titled, so simply don't read them if they are bothering you in anyway right now.

Note - Mathew Upson was voted Brighton's player of the year last season but he since left and is now at Leicester.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I like them. It reminds me of the old match programmes when there was a profile of someone from the opposition opposite the manager's column. Keep 'em coming sluffy.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm glad we did our homework.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

scottjames30 wrote:I'm glad we did our homework.

Just a small part of the service we like to give our Nuts members.

Pity Dougie doesn't read here.

...or does he???

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum