Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Who can Bolton Wanderers tempt through the emergency loan window?

+7
BoltonTillIDie
White84
aaron_bwfc
Hipster_Nebula
Reebok_Rebel
Soul Kitchen
Sluffy
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

AS one window closes, another opens for Wanderers, and there is a familiar problem to solve.

After missing out on Manchester United’s Nick Powell and seeing another top young talent, Liverpool’s Jordon Ibe, slip through his grasp, an increasingly frustrated Dougie Freedman prepares to renew his search for some extra options in attack this week.

The Whites boss had waited patiently for both players’ parent clubs to let them leave on loan but had to watch on as Leicester City and Derby County produced financial offers that he simply couldn’t match.

It isn’t quite a case of back to square one. The Scot has other names on his shortlist.

But considering the length of time it took to mount an offer for Ibe, or wait around for United to make a decision on Powell, Whites fans should perhaps not expect something to happen overnight.

Opportunity knocks as of Tuesday morning.

Rather laughingly called the “emergency window” – clubs outside the Premier League increasingly seem to look upon this time as a chance to pick up straggling waifs and strays to supplement their squad.

Loans of between 28 and 93 days can be struck between September 9 and November 27 and Freedman will be hoping he can find deals that have the same impact on his side’s poor start that Kevin McNaughton, Liam Feeney and Neil Danns did 12 months ago.

Premier League clubs announced their 25-man squads yesterday, which displaced a handful of senior players now searching frantically for regular first-team football.

Among them, Owen Garvan remains an option. The midfielder came close to joining Wanderers in the transfer window after being offered a short-term deal but wanted to try and find something more substantial.

He was excluded from Neil Warnock’s 25-man squad named yesterday and will almost certainly head out on loan.

But while the 26-year-old Dubliner has the creativity that Freedman has been lacking in the middle of the park, central midfield is also the best-stocked position in the Whites’ squad.

A striker remains the manager’s pressing priority but then it has since Lukas Jutkiewicz took up an offer from Burnley in the summer.
Freedman called for his front men to sharpen up after a wasteful afternoon at Leeds United on Saturday and clearly has not got the blend he would like.

Craig Davies has been workmanlike in the opening five games, Joe Mason has yet to fire and Jermaine Beckford has got some making up to do after his exploits at Elland Road.

The lack of a genuine wide man on the left makes his side slightly off-balance – but sympathy is in short supply.

Freedman is generally reluctant to make quick fixes to his squad but may have to take a swift and calculated gamble in the next few days and hope his next loan star makes a difference.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/11454541.Who_can_Bolton_Wanderers_tempt_through_the_emergency_loan_window_/?ref=var_0

None of us really have a clue what's going on behind the scenes in terms of finances and what's available for bringing fresh blood in, but it's not looking good is it?

We have a squad which currently isn't performing - how much of that is down to a lack of talent and how much is down to the manager's perceptions of them and his assessment of their level of ability and subsequent reluctance to play them is unknown.

I honestly don't know what we should do.

I just hope that there is some sort of plan in place and if the powers that be are happy with Freedman, they can see something that we can't, rather than just not sacking him because (A) they can't afford to and (B) there's no-one else cheap enough to come in and take over.

I'm getting truly fed up of moaning.

I just want to see somebody in a position of power at BWFC/Mosaic/Burnden Leisure/Moonshift/whatever we're called now, to come out and tell us what the fuck's going on......

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Eddie and Phil wiill be happy with what Duggy has achieved and he's going nowhere with, if I remember correctly, less than 12 months on his contract. They'll both be happy with us remaining in this division, and for them at this moment in time, that will be enough.
As for being told what's going on, they are not going to tell the fans bad news. Much better to rely on the naive and gullible!
If Freedman gets potted this season I will show my arse on the Town Hall steps.

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I will tell you who we will bring in...

NOBODY! 

We cant even afford a loan deal. 

Only way we will get somebody is if a club is willing to borrow us a player for free for a bit.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Isn't Joe Mason on loan?

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Isn't Joe Mason on loan?

And your point is......?

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

It's a sad state of affairs when the only way we can bring anyone in on loan, is if we move someone out at the same time.

Maybe Dougie can pull another Juke out of the hat and kick start our season.

White84

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Our only hope is the development squad.The likes of our £10-000 buy Woolery and see if we find some unpolished diamonds.
We are never gonna attract the likes of Okochas n Djorkaeff while in the Championship.Also we need a strong manager like BSA.
Money talks and until we either move DF n his staff on n get someone like Keith Hill at Rochdale who will at least make watching the Wanderers interesting again instead of this drab shocking football.
The Pheonix will rise from the ashes,we just need a decent manager next season.Try and survive as there is as much chance of a Bolton getting in the play offs as me walking on the moon.

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

These are the restrictions we have with the Financial Fair Play situation. Also we need to do this to stop our debt getting worse.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

White84 wrote:Keith Hill

Very Happy

Keith Hill's sister Angela is a lovely girl, she's a friend of my sister and I've known her since she was about eight.

Keith Hill is a cock.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:Isn't Joe Mason on loan?

And your point is......?

someone above said "we can't even afford a loan" 

I guess that was to say we can't even afford another loan.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:None of us really have a clue what's going on behind the scenes in terms of finances and what's available for bringing fresh blood in, but it's not looking good is it?

We have a squad which currently isn't performing - how much of that is down to a lack of talent and how much is down to the manager's perceptions of them and his assessment of their level of ability and subsequent reluctance to play them is unknown.

I honestly don't know what we should do.

I just hope that there is some sort of plan in place and if the powers that be are happy with Freedman, they can see something that we can't, rather than just not sacking him because (A) they can't afford to and (B) there's no-one else cheap enough to come in and take over.

I'm getting truly fed up of moaning.

I just want to see somebody in a position of power at BWFC/Mosaic/Burnden Leisure/Moonshift/whatever we're called now, to come out and tell us what the fuck's going on......
Full disclosure of the clubs finances, the relationship between the various parties and an outline of the club's business plan would be wonderful - however this Board has a strong track record of disclosing little or nothing beyond their statutory obligation so I don't see much chance of that happening.
Despite that, enough has come out already to know that we have nothing to spend at least in the short term and recognition of that situation has underpinned the defence of Dougie's tenure even though he seems to be weak in some areas of management.
If people who have directed their frustration at the manager and the players so far this season finally start to recognise that the most significant problem is managing in the face of Board edicts on expenditure and trading - and that our only hope is that these players finally come good, perhaps the atmosphere amongst fans will change from open hostility to resignation and from there to getting behind the team and manager?

Doubt it will happen overnight, but personally I prefer to accept we're crap and hope we do well rather than boast about what a great club we are and then have to deal with the disappointment of reality.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i can live with the fact that we have no more money and little chance of improving the squad, what i can't live with is the lack of imagination and creativity in the current team and the negative tactics of Dougie.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:i can live with the fact that we have no more money and little chance of improving the squad, what i can't live with is the lack of imagination and creativity in the current team and the negative tactics of Dougie.
Difference is I feel we have no choice but to live with it.
Agree that we could tinker around changing the manager for another and perhaps swap one journeyman player for another, but in the scheme of things the most important item is whether or not we have a plan to change our financial fortunes above and beyond trying to play our way back into the premiership from this position with these players.

Everything is relative and for me the survival of the club is more important than short term gain this or next season.

However, if there isn't a long term plan i.e. this is it folks - there will never be any further investment - then I'm concerned as survival in the Championship won't be enough to see us through.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

maybe the players will turn it round but i can see Dougie pulling last seasons trick and getting a couple of loan players in and crediting them and himself with turning it all round again (even though most of last seasons loans are now back with the club and are part of the problem)

Hip Priest

Hip Priest
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I've said this many times on here before, we have some decent players and there's no way we should be doing as badly on the field as we currently are. To my mind the ONLY reason we are so shit is Freedman's ridiculous over cautious approach. We have no money and uncle Ed has grown tired of his football toy and won't invest a penny more, but with a change of attitude and application the whole outlook for the club could change dramatically.
The fans (and apparently the players if recent rumours are true) are sick to death of his approach and ready to get on his case given the slightest excuse. The atmosphere at home matches is becoming more poisonous as each home match passes with less and less to cheer or get excited about. What's to lose, we'll go down anyway playing the way we are. He needs to change tack quickly, if he can get the fans properly behind the club again things could turn round pretty rapidly IMO. But it's not going to happen is it,we all know what the arrogant stubborn fucker is like.
I'm not trying to make a case for sacking Dougie,that's not going to happen either,but how long and how many defeats is it going to take for him to realise that HIS way is NOT WORKING.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hip Priest wrote:To my mind the ONLY reason we are so shit is Freedman's ridiculous over cautious approach. 
If that were true it would be easy to fix IMO.
In recent games he's played two strikers at the front of a diamond which is not especially cautious.
The trick with most systems is to play them better than the opposition play theirs so that your players are on the front foot - that's how 442 becomes 424 and how 4231 becomes 415 etc. and the team gets further up the pitch and gets attacking opportunities.
Our players passing and movement isn't good enough so we get pushed back which makes Dougie's approach seem cautious but with better performances the same system could look progressively attacking.

If there is an "ONLY" reason we are so shit it's because the players aren't performing well enough.
They can blame the manager as much as they like but they can't hide the poor control, movement and passing they produce. They have compounded the problem this season with individual errors at the back and missed chances up front - incidents like those have had a knock on effect on confidence and gifted points to the opposition.

How dare the players even think about looking beyond their own performances to explain our current situation!

Worse still, how can they blame the one guy that has shown faith in their abilities? Cheeky bastards.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum