Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bonfire And Fireworks.

+10
bwfc71
Reebok Trotter
Numpty 28723
Soul Kitchen
Banks of the Croal
wanderlust
boltonbonce
Norpig
karlypants
scottjames30
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

21Bonfire And Fireworks. - Page 2 Empty Re: Bonfire And Fireworks. Mon Nov 03 2014, 14:14

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Norpig wrote:its a very serious problem, Mancs have never heard of black peas! They look at me as if i'm making it up.Admittedly they don't sound very appetising but it reminds me of childhood bonfires with Catherine wheels whizzing up and down the back streer because they hadn't been nailed to the back gate hard enough Very Happy
Perhaps you need to ask for pigeon peas?

22Bonfire And Fireworks. - Page 2 Empty Re: Bonfire And Fireworks. Mon Nov 03 2014, 21:16

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

boltonbonce wrote:
wanderlust wrote:I'm renovating a property in my spare time and have loads of scrap wood I'd love to give away (rather than pay £30 a load to recycle at the tip) but I'm struggling to find anyone having a bonfire.
Kids would be fighting over it in my day.
How times have changed.

It is more about All Hallows Eve than Guido Fawkes night nowadays - all thanks to Americanisation of our popular culture (and yes I do know that All Hallows Eve originally started off as a European paganic festival celebrating loved ones who had passed over to the "other side")

23Bonfire And Fireworks. - Page 2 Empty Re: Bonfire And Fireworks. Mon Nov 03 2014, 21:19

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Anyone fancy a 'day of the dead' like they have in Mexico?

24Bonfire And Fireworks. - Page 2 Empty Re: Bonfire And Fireworks. Tue Nov 04 2014, 13:05

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I know Elf and Safety European style can be a bit excessive, but on reflection we did some stupid stuff with fireworks when we were kids. Banger guns for a start, dropping a lit banger followed by a marble down a sealed tube - I remember putting windows in 100 yds away. And firing hand-held air bombs at people. And packing mud around the bottom bangers and throwing them into Dunscar Lodge to stun the fish. And emptying out all the chemicals out of the naff fireworks left in a Standard selection box and making bombs out of them. And throwing unlit bangers into the bommie. And lobbing burnt out sparklers. The bonfire season started at the beginning of the school summer holidays when we first started collecting wood and defending our bommie so by the time fireworks were on sale we were at fever pitch.

Food-wise it was always Meat & Potato pie, red cabbage, pigeon peas, parkin and treacle toffee. Toffee Apples if we were lucky.

25Bonfire And Fireworks. - Page 2 Empty Re: Bonfire And Fireworks. Tue Nov 04 2014, 13:30

I hope IS haven't hacked this site - you'll be getting recruited for your expertise.....

26Bonfire And Fireworks. - Page 2 Empty Re: Bonfire And Fireworks. Tue Nov 04 2014, 13:36

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

thats 2 mentions now of pigeon peas instead of black peas, i've always known them as black peas. is that what they were called in the olden days? :whistle:

27Bonfire And Fireworks. - Page 2 Empty Re: Bonfire And Fireworks. Tue Nov 04 2014, 14:01

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Always known them as Black Peas, used to get them from the Fair when it was at Moor Lane Bus Station.

28Bonfire And Fireworks. - Page 2 Empty Re: Bonfire And Fireworks. Tue Nov 04 2014, 14:08

Numpty 28723

Numpty 28723
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

play safely now, kids, and follow the fireworks code

29Bonfire And Fireworks. - Page 2 Empty Re: Bonfire And Fireworks. Tue Nov 04 2014, 16:15

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Banks of the Croal wrote:Always known them as Black Peas, used to get them from the Fair when it was at Moor Lane Bus Station.

Both were sold - they're two different pulses both popular in Bolton but my Aunties (Lizzie and Winnie) always cooked pigeon peas with malt vinegar and ground white pepper.
Uncooked black peas are brown BTW and they were popular with travellers so its not surprising they had them at the fair.

30Bonfire And Fireworks. - Page 2 Empty Re: Bonfire And Fireworks. Tue Nov 04 2014, 16:22

Banks of the Croal wrote:Always known them as Black Peas, used to get them from the Fair when it was at Moor Lane Bus Station.

Sat on long benches in that striped tent arrangement?

Happy days.

31Bonfire And Fireworks. - Page 2 Empty Re: Bonfire And Fireworks. Tue Nov 04 2014, 16:45

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The brown peas are actually Canadian Maple peas. They are the staple diet of racing pigeons. Delicious when steeped overnight in baking soda. ( The peas...not the pigeons.)

32Bonfire And Fireworks. - Page 2 Empty Re: Bonfire And Fireworks. Tue Nov 04 2014, 18:03

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

I used to live on an estate in halliwell and while we were at school the adults would build the bonfire on the field off brownlow way (it's a park and mini football pitch now) and someone would have a table out giving away black peas and bovril. You just don't have the same kind of community spirit anymore. Those were the days. Everything's organised to death these days. It's all ruled by health and safety. You can't get to within 100 feet of a bonfire anymore or someone in an orange jacket telling you off for trying. Having said that I wouldn't want my kids getting up to half the stuff I did as a kid. The worry would kill me.

33Bonfire And Fireworks. - Page 2 Empty Re: Bonfire And Fireworks. Sat Nov 04 2017, 21:08

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Here we go again. It's like a war zone down here.Bonfire And Fireworks. - Page 2 Smiley-lights-fireworks

34Bonfire And Fireworks. - Page 2 Empty Re: Bonfire And Fireworks. Sat Nov 04 2017, 21:16

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:Here we go again. It's like a war zone down here.Bonfire And Fireworks. - Page 2 Smiley-lights-fireworks
Hope everyone's dogs are ok with all the noise.

35Bonfire And Fireworks. - Page 2 Empty Re: Bonfire And Fireworks. Sat Nov 04 2017, 21:18

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It made me think actually Bonce with me sat here on my arse on Nuts with not a care in the world whilst the bangs continue that those innocent people in the middle east shitting themselves hoping and praying that the noise from the bombs that none of them are eventually going to kill them.

36Bonfire And Fireworks. - Page 2 Empty Re: Bonfire And Fireworks. Sat Nov 04 2017, 21:50

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

It made me think back to the time our gang dressed up little Jimmy Spigot as a guy make up an all and sat him in a chair outside the Clarence he was a bit thick but very good at playing still made lots of money from the drunks and scared them shitless when Jimmy Screamed.

37Bonfire And Fireworks. - Page 2 Empty Re: Bonfire And Fireworks. Sun Nov 05 2017, 19:14

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

It was bad enough last night with all the noise- but some brain deads are letting off more fireworks now behind my house. Would it be politically correct to shoot one of them as a discouragement?

38Bonfire And Fireworks. - Page 2 Empty Re: Bonfire And Fireworks. Sun Nov 05 2017, 19:22

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Still going on here. What a waste of money.

39Bonfire And Fireworks. - Page 2 Empty Re: Bonfire And Fireworks. Sun Nov 05 2017, 19:25

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We have a private back road at the back of our house that 6 of us share. I noticed last night that the family were setting fireworks off on it throughout the evening and came outside and had a peek at the road only to see beer bottles all over and the remains of all the packaging etc from the fireworks that they didn't bother to clean up today.

The fucking shit bags.

40Bonfire And Fireworks. - Page 2 Empty Re: Bonfire And Fireworks. Sun Nov 05 2017, 19:29

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I shall advise them that they are better off living in a caravan if that is how they want to behave.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum