Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I'm back: Wanderers striker Craig Davies sounds derby battle cry

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Comeback king Craig Davies believes he is getting back to his best at Wanderers.

Fresh from a stellar performance in the 3-0 win over Cardiff City, the Whites’ man of the moment reckons he has now silenced the doubters who forecast his exit at the Macron Stadium.

Just six months ago Davies was sitting on the bench in League One as a substitute for Preston North End – prompting speculation he would be sold off in the summer.

But the Wales international returned with renewed hunger to claim a regular first team spot and is now in the form of his Bolton career.

His man-of-the-match display on Tuesday night earned widespread praise and put him in a positive frame of mind for tomorrow’s crunch derby clash with Wigan Athletic.

Speaking to The Bolton News, the 28-year-old hit-man admits he is revelling in the opportunity to shove the critics’ words back down their throat.

“One hundred per cent,” he said. “That is exactly how I feel at the moment.

“Last season I had problems with injuries and it was frustrating for me but I didn’t give up.

“I know in the previous two seasons I’d been in this division I got into double figures with Barnsley and I’ve been as good as any striker around. My record is good.

“I genuinely believed I could do that here. I’m confident in my own ability and now I’ve got the chance I want to repay the manager’s trust.”

Davies started just four games for Wanderers last season before being loaned out to North End. And he said his spell at Deepdale made him all the more determined to win back a place at his parent club.

“I felt hard done by,” said the striker, who has been doing solo training sessions in the last few weeks to improve his fitness.

“The injury problems I had last year were tough on me and I never got a chance to have a run.

“I went to Preston and it was difficult because I never really felt like I fit there.

“When I came back in the summer I didn’t give myself a break and tried to strengthen certain areas that had been breaking down, I grafted as hard as I could.

“I said to myself that I had to work hard, believe in my own ability and things will turn, hopefully they are now.”

Davies now turns his attention to Wigan and a chance to put things right in a televised game after disappointment at Carrow Road a week ago.

“It’s a big game,” he said. “We need the crowd behind us again because they’ve been at a different level this last few weeks.

“Last time we were on television at Norwich we didn’t do ourselves justice, this time we need to put it right.

“I just hope we can continue playing the same way as we did against Cardiff.”

Neil Lennon played down his own part in Davies’s revival, giving the striker a pat on the back after his midweek exploits.

“He’s done it himself,” he said. “He practises his technique, works away on his own, on his fitness levels and he has surprised me. To say I’m delighted for him is an understatement.”

Source

I know it's early days, but it's looking that Lennon's man-management skills are pretty decent.

He's got Craig Davies believing again and, given where he was last season, that's no mean feat.

Well played, Neil.

B.D.P

B.D.P
David Lee
David Lee

Craig Davies has played well all season IMO.

Even before Lennon came.

i think the attitude and effort has been there but it is the end product now.  Not an out and out goal scorer, but then we haven't had one of them for a long time!

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Needs to get a goal, tomorrow would be good.

B.D.P

B.D.P
David Lee
David Lee

NickFazer wrote:Needs to get a goal, tomorrow would be good.

He's only gone two games without one at the moment.

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Exactly. One in 3 games isn't great Smile

B.D.P

B.D.P
David Lee
David Lee

He only played about 10 minutes at Norwich and came off on Tuesday.

And he didn't start vs Brentford did he?

So almost a goal a game at the moment  Laughing

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum