Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Download Or Buy The CD?

+5
aaron_bwfc
Hipster_Nebula
largehat
xmiles
Natasha Whittam
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Download Or Buy The CD? Empty Download Or Buy The CD? Thu May 31 2012, 15:52

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's been announced today that UK digital music revenue has overtaken sales of physical formats such as CDs and records for the first time ever.

I don't like this development. I never download stuff, I always buy the CD because I want something to hold in my hand and, call me sad, I like to read the inserts/booklets that come with CDs.

Have you given up on CDs?

2Download Or Buy The CD? Empty Re: Download Or Buy The CD? Thu May 31 2012, 15:55

i chucked all my cds away years ago because i rarely played them all the way through. i prefer to just buy the singles or album tracks i like.

3Download Or Buy The CD? Empty Re: Download Or Buy The CD? Thu May 31 2012, 16:02

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

not-so-plain-jayne wrote:i chucked all my cds away years ago because i rarely played them all the way through. i prefer to just buy the singles or album tracks i like.

I get that Jayne but you might be missing out on some brilliant tracks. I have albums that I bought 15 years ago that I never played all the way through. I put them on today and find a couple of gems quite often. Downloading means you only ever hear what the media wants you to hear.

4Download Or Buy The CD? Empty Re: Download Or Buy The CD? Thu May 31 2012, 16:34

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

I still buy CDs and will continue to do so as long as they are available but I know that they will gradually disappear. Technology moves on and it is not always for the better.

5Download Or Buy The CD? Empty Re: Download Or Buy The CD? Thu May 31 2012, 17:16

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Other than very occasionally, I never buy CDs. If I do buy a CD, I take it home, rip it, and add the music to my digital playlist. The CD then goes on a shelf and collects dust.

The main benefit, for me, of digital music, is the immediacy. I can play any songs of in any order I want on my laptop, iPhone, home cinema system, you name it.

I went through about 8 different portable CD players in the 90s, and god knows how many sets of batteries., swapping CDs about and so on.

That's the real benefit for me.

When it comes to DVDs or digital copies of films I still prefer owning the DVD because at the moment, my laptop and PS3 have optical drives and I don't get a better viewing experience through a digital copy of something because if you are watching a two hour film it's not a big deal taking a disc out of a case and putting it into a slot.

6Download Or Buy The CD? Empty Re: Download Or Buy The CD? Thu May 31 2012, 17:18

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

CD's were "dead" as soon as Napster came on the scene.

7Download Or Buy The CD? Empty Re: Download Or Buy The CD? Thu May 31 2012, 21:27

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

I have only ever bought 5 cds in my life, I prefer to just download single songs instead of buying a whole album.

I don't having anything against people collecting cds I just think it's easier to just put my ipod on and choose a track by a click of a button.

8Download Or Buy The CD? Empty Re: Download Or Buy The CD? Thu May 31 2012, 21:30

I am the exact opposite of Aaron, I don't think I've downloaded a track in my whole life. I'm a vinyl man myself, you can't beat the feel and smell of an old 33rpm!

9Download Or Buy The CD? Empty Re: Download Or Buy The CD? Thu May 31 2012, 21:37

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Now I must admit though I don't own any vinyl I think they are very smart and would buy one over a CD if I had to.

My parents have quite a few uncommon vinyl records and some of the covers are still in good condition.

10Download Or Buy The CD? Empty Re: Download Or Buy The CD? Thu May 31 2012, 21:49

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I just don't like music enough to bother quite honestly.

The last CD i bought was Zeitgeist by the pumpkins.

11Download Or Buy The CD? Empty Re: Download Or Buy The CD? Thu May 31 2012, 23:41

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:because I want something to hold in my hand and, call me sad, I like to read the inserts/booklets that come with CDs.

I'm exactly the same.

12Download Or Buy The CD? Empty Re: Download Or Buy The CD? Fri Jun 01 2012, 00:32

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

A CD is better but more expensive, well for me anyway, I have Spotify for a fiver a month and I get unlimited access to almost every type of music you could think of (apart from oasis and the Beatles annoyingly). Also there is the advantage of being able to make your own playlists (and on spotify you can look at playlists other random people have made)

I think Itunes is horrendously expensive and would never use it for music. Isn't it like 70p a track? No comparison to unlimited tracks for £5 a month!

If I really like someone I will buy their CD because I kind of feel they deserve it, and like you say, its someting you can actually touch.

But like Bob Dylan once said, the times they are-a-changing

13Download Or Buy The CD? Empty Re: Download Or Buy The CD? Fri Jun 01 2012, 00:41

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

CD and vinyl.

14Download Or Buy The CD? Empty Re: Download Or Buy The CD? Fri Jun 01 2012, 10:58

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Passi wrote:I am the exact opposite of Aaron, I don't think I've downloaded a track in my whole life. I'm a vinyl man myself, you can't beat the feel and smell of an old 33rpm!

Ditto. I still have my 33's, 78's and other vinyls. Plus well over 500 CD's. As Natahsa say, its the holding it in the hand, the reading of teh pamphelts that come with the CD - the whole experience. Downloading means nothing for me - nothing physical at all. I am also exact same when it comes to books - give me a book over an E-reader any day.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum