Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Science fiction

+4
bwfc71
Reebok Trotter
Angry Dad
xmiles
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Science fiction Empty Science fiction Fri Jun 01 2012, 09:14

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

At the risk of appearing even more nerdy I enjoy reading good quality science fiction. I particularly like Iain M Banks's work.

Any other fans out there? What authors do you like?

2Science fiction Empty Re: Science fiction Fri Jun 01 2012, 10:39

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

I have all Arthur c clarks books but havn,t read any sci-fi for years im into Lee childs Jack Reacher books right now. I prefer the older sci-fi authors.

3Science fiction Empty Re: Science fiction Fri Jun 01 2012, 10:46

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Angry Dad wrote:I have all Arthur c clarks books but havn,t read any sci-fi for years im into Lee childs Jack Reacher books right now. I prefer the older sci-fi authors.

Lee Childs is one of my favourite authors. I was so disappointed when I found out that Tom Cruise has been given the role of Jack Reacher in the movie ' One Shot '.

Lee Childs sold Reacher down the river.

4Science fiction Empty Re: Science fiction Fri Jun 01 2012, 11:04

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

JRR Tolkein was my ultimate favourite followed by Douglas Adams

5Science fiction Empty Re: Science fiction Fri Jun 01 2012, 11:07

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Reebok Trotter wrote:
Angry Dad wrote:I have all Arthur c clarks books but havn,t read any sci-fi for years im into Lee childs Jack Reacher books right now. I prefer the older sci-fi authors.

Lee Childs is one of my favourite authors. I was so disappointed when I found out that Tom Cruise has been given the role of Jack Reacher in the movie ' One Shot '.

Didn,he just.Money i suppose but dont watch the movie or you wont read another JR book.

6Science fiction Empty Re: Science fiction Fri Jun 01 2012, 11:11

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's being filmed by United Artists and Cruise is a major shareholder and that's how he got the part. I won't be wasting my money watching the film.

7Science fiction Empty Re: Science fiction Fri Jun 01 2012, 11:14

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Reebok Trotter wrote:It's being filmed by United Artists and Cruise is a major shareholder and that's how he got the part. I won't be wasting my money watching the film.
I would have gone for WARWICK DAVIS myself Smile

8Science fiction Empty Re: Science fiction Fri Jun 01 2012, 11:34

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I enjoy Douglas Adams very much, it answered the ultimate question for me... *

I also (im NOT a geek) really love doctor who.

space, time and the wonders of the universe in general fascinate me if im honest. just the sheer sizes and distances involved are mind boggling!

* for anyone who has not read it and would like to know the answer to the ultimate question of life the universe and everything is... 42. cool eh ;-)

9Science fiction Empty Re: Science fiction Fri Jun 01 2012, 12:21

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

xmiles wrote:At the risk of appearing even more nerdy I enjoy reading good quality science fiction. I particularly like Iain M Banks's work.

I love sci-fi films, but have never found a sci-fi book or books that I like. Too many of them seem "off-the-wall", I like sci-fi that is believeable if you like.

10Science fiction Empty Re: Science fiction Fri Jun 01 2012, 12:28

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok Trotter wrote:

When I read Jack Reacher books I always have a mental image of Patrick Warburton:

Science fiction Patrick-warburton

11Science fiction Empty Re: Science fiction Fri Jun 01 2012, 12:33

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Natasha Whittam wrote:
xmiles wrote:At the risk of appearing even more nerdy I enjoy reading good quality science fiction. I particularly like Iain M Banks's work.

I love sci-fi films, but have never found a sci-fi book or books that I like. Too many of them seem "off-the-wall", I like sci-fi that is believeable if you like.

Difficult to know which authors to recommend but some of the classics by Arthur C Clarke or Isaac Asimov might be OK. They are not exactly great literature but do usually have good story lines.

SF films are like the books - for every classic like Blade Runner or Forbidden Planet there is a lot of dross.

12Science fiction Empty Re: Science fiction Fri Jun 01 2012, 12:59

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I read Neuromancer and i have to say i thought it was terrible.

13Science fiction Empty Re: Science fiction Sat Jun 02 2012, 09:32

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Good SF is an extension of science fact, and all its possibilities. SF is the only stuff I read, and have done it for years. Grew up on the likes of Asimov, and quite like the 'space opera' and galaxy spanning type stories, such as the 'Foundation' triology, and 'Lensman', (E.E. Doc Smith), series. Not too struck on the heavily scientific, must explain everything, type of story, although I'm sure I've picked up all sorts of info over the years. Its good to see that the cinema, through its special effects, has finally caught up with the aim and intention of the authors, and is now taken much more seriously.. Enjoyed the 'Dragons of Pern' series, original 'Dune'. Very much like Iain M Banks work too. Actually have boxes and boxes of books in the garage and shed, and last time I looked found one priced at 1s/6d. Smile Nat, to answer your question, to start with, I would suggest' a fall of moondust' by Arther C Clarke, or almost any of the Azimov books, (be aware that he was an established scientist and published more than just SF).

14Science fiction Empty Re: Science fiction Sat Jun 02 2012, 09:32

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Hated Harlan Ellison and his 'new' approach to SF

15Science fiction Empty Re: Science fiction Sat Jun 02 2012, 09:35

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Nat, just thought, read the 'I, Robot' series of books by Azimov, they really are quite clever, and it is from these that the 3 laws of robotics have been unofficially accepted as guidance for the management of modern-day electronics and robotics.

16Science fiction Empty Re: Science fiction Sat Jun 02 2012, 10:03

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

gloswhite if you like Banks' SF it is worth trying some of his non-SF work as well. I would particularly recommend The Wasp Factory, Complicity and Transition if you are interested.

Other authors I enjoy are Alistair Reynolds, Peter Hamilton and Neal Asher.

17Science fiction Empty Re: Science fiction Sat Jun 02 2012, 12:23

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I've seen the book The Wasp Factory, but the blurb on the back didn't fit in with what I was looking for at the time, but I will have another look. Another series I liked, was the Prador series, with the bloodthirsty aliens. Now they were really good ! Hamilton and Asher, both excellent authors, with good topics. Read a series a few years ago called Spider World, and for a bit of fun, I would also reckon Deathworld 1,2, and 3 are ok.

18Science fiction Empty Re: Science fiction Sat Jun 02 2012, 13:15

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

gloswhite wrote:I've seen the book The Wasp Factory, but the blurb on the back didn't fit in with what I was looking for at the time, but I will have another look. Another series I liked, was the Prador series, with the bloodthirsty aliens. Now they were really good ! Hamilton and Asher, both excellent authors, with good topics. Read a series a few years ago called Spider World, and for a bit of fun, I would also reckon Deathworld 1,2, and 3 are ok.

If you like Hamilton and Asher I reckon you will also like Reynolds. I suggest starting with the Revelation Space/Redemption Ark/Absolution Gap trilogy.

19Science fiction Empty Re: Science fiction Sat Jun 02 2012, 14:10

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

XM, you know, such is my dotage that I've read some Reynolds, but can't remember which. Is he the one with a book with Chasm City (or sumething like that?). Big books, and I've always wondered whether to venture into that series. If I buy a book, I tend to buy the whole series at once. Having said that, I now have an eBook, and have only bought two books at a time. Thanks for the heads up, I shall put a toe into the water after I finish the couple I'm on.

20Science fiction Empty Re: Science fiction Sat Jun 02 2012, 17:15

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

gloswhite wrote:XM, you know, such is my dotage that I've read some Reynolds, but can't remember which. Is he the one with a book with Chasm City (or sumething like that?). Big books, and I've always wondered whether to venture into that series. If I buy a book, I tend to buy the whole series at once. Having said that, I now have an eBook, and have only bought two books at a time. Thanks for the heads up, I shall put a toe into the water after I finish the couple I'm on.

Yes that's the one. Chasm City is set in the same universe as the 3 I suggested.

And I know all about dotage I've just reached 62. Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next