Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The BBQ thread

+9
Reebok Trotter
Bwfc1958
Copper Dragon
Norpig
Natasha Whittam
karlypants
boltonbonce
scottjames30
doffcocker
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1The BBQ thread Empty The BBQ thread Mon Sep 28 2015, 17:18

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I love food, and this "summer" I've done a lot of cooking on my BBQ - or rather the remains of a BBQ I bought a couple years ago from Argos for £20, which is basically a legless metallic dish and rack that rests on a camping table.

I do the lot - steaks, salmon, tuna, prawns, vegetable skewers. The other night I even did a paella. I think the neighbours are getting tired of the smoke but I'm low on sympathy.

Anyway I thought with the forecast for this week being good, we should have a BBQ thread, where we share stories, advice and ideas.

Getting a manual BBQ going isn't as easy as it looks, so I could do with some tips on the best ways to do it. How the hell do you even set fire to loose charcoals? I tried a drop of white spirit on it last night which only got me closer to torching myself than the coals.

So are you a BBQ fan? Maybe you're an expert? Maybe the last time you tried, you gave everyone food poisoning? Anyway, any talk of BBQ's worth reading about, put it here.

2The BBQ thread Empty Re: The BBQ thread Mon Sep 28 2015, 17:19

Parafin Very Happy

Or ask kp

3The BBQ thread Empty Re: The BBQ thread Mon Sep 28 2015, 17:19

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I love them, good excuse for a piss up.

4The BBQ thread Empty Re: The BBQ thread Mon Sep 28 2015, 17:22

I love a BBQ. Best way to get it lit is to pyramid the charcoal and build in white spirit and fire lighters all the way up.

5The BBQ thread Empty Re: The BBQ thread Mon Sep 28 2015, 17:23

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Magoo put me off them.
The BBQ thread Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9ECd4fwCJfPotHHK6GNVcI-KHqCKkLsLaig7TfOOqJhgJ1v46mw

6The BBQ thread Empty Re: The BBQ thread Mon Sep 28 2015, 17:40

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:Magoo put me off them.
The BBQ thread Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9ECd4fwCJfPotHHK6GNVcI-KHqCKkLsLaig7TfOOqJhgJ1v46mw

Shocked Very Happy

7The BBQ thread Empty Re: The BBQ thread Mon Sep 28 2015, 17:41

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I had a BBQ last night. If I'm cooking for two then I just use a Co-Op Fairtrade disposable. I did two fillet steaks last night and they were delicious ( and I rarely eat meat.)

8The BBQ thread Empty Re: The BBQ thread Mon Sep 28 2015, 17:48

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

DC, get a chimney starter and it will make it much easier.

This for example: 
http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/chimney-starter-307046

You won't need lighter fluid, you just put a bit of newspaper in the bottom and then the coals and set fire to the paper.

Once coals are white, empty using gloves or something similar (so you don't burn your hands) and empty on BBQ.

9The BBQ thread Empty Re: The BBQ thread Mon Sep 28 2015, 17:52

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

y2johnny wrote:Parafin Very Happy

Or ask kp
Very Happy

10The BBQ thread Empty Re: The BBQ thread Mon Sep 28 2015, 18:05

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The last BBQ I attended ended with a fat ex-manager pushing to the front of the queue and snatching the last hot dogs.

Haven't touched a dog since.

11The BBQ thread Empty Re: The BBQ thread Mon Sep 28 2015, 18:54

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

get the charcoal that comes in individual bags, all you have to do is light the corners of the bag and off they go. B&Q do them and they always work for me.

I do like BBQ but only when someone else is cooking them, you never get a chance to eat properly because of the cooking

12The BBQ thread Empty Re: The BBQ thread Mon Sep 28 2015, 19:34

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Another tip:

Watch Primal Grill by Steven Raichlen if it's on (usually on one of the Discovery channels on Sky/Virgin if you have it) for À la carte tips and guidance and how to cook proper baby back ribs. Smile

13The BBQ thread Empty Re: The BBQ thread Mon Sep 28 2015, 21:51

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

The key to a good barbecue is marinating your meat (ooohh err). 

We had a barbecue on Christmas Day for our Christmas dinner 6 years ago (yes here in East Lancs) and I had the best bit of meat that I've ever had on a barbecue. It was Ostrich steaks which we bought from Aldi, but it was from South Africa. I marinated them in red wine, garlic, beef stock and rosemary. It was like eating butter.

I've done a full boned leg of lamb on a barbecue and that was nice.

Whole Sea Bass, Trout or Mackerel are good wrapped in foil with flavourings and stuck in the coals. Same with veg wrapped in foil with herbs, olive oil and lemon.

Now I'm effing hungry!

14The BBQ thread Empty Re: The BBQ thread Mon Sep 28 2015, 21:59

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sounds yum that!

You sound like a BBQ pro! Very Happy

15The BBQ thread Empty Re: The BBQ thread Mon Sep 28 2015, 22:00

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Fancy eating an ostrich. Evil or Very Mad

16The BBQ thread Empty Re: The BBQ thread Mon Sep 28 2015, 22:08

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:Fancy eating an ostrich. Evil or Very Mad
Well it's better than burying your head in the sand! Very Happy

17The BBQ thread Empty Re: The BBQ thread Mon Sep 28 2015, 22:10

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

karlypants wrote:Sounds yum that!

You sound like a BBQ pro! Very Happy

Not a pro Karly but I refuse to go to a barbecue if it's burger and sausages. That's a waste of resources.

You need homemade coleslaw with barbecued lamb chops though.  Very Happy

18The BBQ thread Empty Re: The BBQ thread Mon Sep 28 2015, 22:15

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:Fancy eating an ostrich. Evil or Very Mad
Well it's better than burying your head in the sand! Very Happy
Very Happy

19The BBQ thread Empty Re: The BBQ thread Mon Sep 28 2015, 23:50

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

Norpig wrote:get the charcoal that comes in individual bags, all you have to do is light the corners of the bag and off they go. B&Q do them and they always work for me.

I do like BBQ but only when someone else is cooking them, you never get a chance to eat properly because of the cooking
I find this is the easiest way. Set fire to a bag and your done.

I can't stand them big aussie gas barbecue things either. If you're having a bbq it has to be the old fashioned way, with charcoal. It might look good having a big expensive bbq but it just doesn't taste the same.

When we go round to the inlaws for a bbq they get their big daft bit of equipment out and start connecting up gas bottles and shit and they think they're the bollocks. 

I walk up the garden and empty their birdbath onto the grass. It's a sort of bowl on a plinth type thing. I then go to the shed and get my charcoal out and fill up the birdbath, set it alight and then put a wire rack on it from an old bbq we used to have.

They look at me like I'm fucking mental but I refuse to eat off their posh looking gas powered thing. I'm sure you'll be surprised to hear that I'm the only one that eats off my birdbath bbq. Does taste bloody good though.

20The BBQ thread Empty Re: The BBQ thread Tue Sep 29 2015, 11:36

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bwfc1958 wrote:
Norpig wrote:get the charcoal that comes in individual bags, all you have to do is light the corners of the bag and off they go. B&Q do them and they always work for me.

I find this is the easiest way. Set fire to a bag and your done.

I can't stand them big aussie gas barbecue things either. If you're having a bbq it has to be the old fashioned way, with charcoal. It might look good having a big expensive bbq but it just doesn't taste the same.

When we go round to the inlaws for a bbq they get their big daft bit of equipment out and start connecting up gas bottles and shit and they think they're the bollocks. 

I walk up the garden and empty their birdbath onto the grass. It's a sort of bowl on a plinth type thing. I then go to the shed and get my charcoal out and fill up the birdbath, set it alight and then put a wire rack on it from an old bbq we used to have.

They look at me like I'm fucking mental but I refuse to eat off their posh looking gas powered thing. I'm sure you'll be surprised to hear that I'm the only one that eats off my birdbath bbq. Does taste bloody good though.

I agree. Surely the whole point of a BBQ is that the meat is cooked over charcoal. I can't see the point of those gas BBQ's tbh. i know they are convenient and quick but it kind of defeats the object.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum