Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Powerful photographs

+3
Natasha Whittam
gloswhite
largehat
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Powerful photographs Empty Powerful photographs Fri Jun 01 2012, 15:18

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Somebody on Twitter drew my attention to this web page entitled '40 of the most powerful photographs ever taken'. Check it out.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/expresident/most-powerful-photographs-ever-taken

For me, this picture of a dog sitting at its owners grave for a second consecutive day was the saddest picture. It may take a few seconds to load.

Powerful photographs Enhanced-buzz-wide-5453-1338324597-25

None of the usual photographs I see on these types of pages were there - the monk setting themselves on fire, the vultures lurking around a sick child and so on. Some truly incredible images.

2Powerful photographs Empty Re: Powerful photographs Fri Jun 01 2012, 15:35

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Some very poignant pictures there. For me, the ones that include children are some of the strongest ones.

3Powerful photographs Empty Re: Powerful photographs Fri Jun 01 2012, 15:39

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The war ones mean most to me, especially the one of the US troops landing at Normandy on D-Day. Although that Koala one is cute, and the photo taken of the earth from the moon is spectacular.

4Powerful photographs Empty Re: Powerful photographs Fri Jun 01 2012, 15:41

some great photos largehat, thanks. my favourite is the first one of the three sisters.

5Powerful photographs Empty Re: Powerful photographs Fri Jun 01 2012, 17:47

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Tiananmen square and the earth-rise are the most powerful ones there - but nothing spectacular at all!!

6Powerful photographs Empty Re: Powerful photographs Fri Jun 01 2012, 18:04

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc71 wrote:Tiananmen square and the earth-rise are the most powerful ones there - but nothing spectacular at all!!

Show me something more spectacular then (and not a photo of your knob).

7Powerful photographs Empty Re: Powerful photographs Fri Jun 01 2012, 18:08

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Its a shame that the 19 year old in Tiannaman Square was never identified, or whether he was actually killed , as the American diplomat claimed.

8Powerful photographs Empty Re: Powerful photographs Fri Jun 01 2012, 18:31

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

9Powerful photographs Empty Re: Powerful photographs Fri Jun 01 2012, 18:33

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I remember very well that there was a very powerful picture taken 30 years previously about a man standing in front of a tank -

Powerful photographs Prague

This was the story behind it -

“Shoot!” screamed the man in thee blue overalls. Emil Gallo is a municipal plumber in Bratislava. He shouts abuse at the crew of a Soveit T-55 tank and tears his shirt open, ready to die. The photo, almost a sister image to the Tank Man photo that came out from Beijing 31 years later, was the iconic image of the Prague Spring.

On August 21, 1968, tanks from Russia and four other Warsaw Pact countries rolled into Czechoslovakia to put down Prague Spring – a period of political liberalization under Alexander Dubcek. Ladislav Blielik, the photographer who captured the scene, works for the local newspaper Smena. Together with his colleagues, he printed a clandestine edition of the newspaper with this photo on the front page. A copy of the film reached the German Press Agency on the same day, and the photo was published around the world.

After the revolution had failed, Bielik had decided to stay in Czechoslovakia, but this meant the end of his professional career. He was dismissed; he continued to work but his photos were no longer good, declared the communists. He ended up as a sports photographer and was killed tragically in Budapest in 1984 at a car race. Dubcek withdrew from the public life and lived in obscurity but lived to see the collapse of the Evil Empire he so opposed. Gallo, a father of four, committed suicide three years after the photo was taken.

http://iconicphotos.wordpress.com/2009/07/01/the-end-of-the-prague-spring/

10Powerful photographs Empty Re: Powerful photographs Fri Jun 01 2012, 19:34

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Wouldn't that tank thing be funny, in a horrid way, if someone tried to do it again and the tank just ran him over.

11Powerful photographs Empty Re: Powerful photographs Fri Jun 01 2012, 19:46

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

They didn't know the tank wouldn't run over them the first time!

Brave men, both of them.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum