Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

David Wheater keen to build on Preston clean sheet

5 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

David Wheater was pleased to see Wanderers keep a clean sheet as they fought out a heated derby against Preston North End on Saturday.

With limited chances at either end, both defences remained on top at Deepdale in front of the Sky cameras as the Whites secured a valuable away point against their local-rivals.

And while a little disappointed not to have claimed all three points, Wheater called for more of the same ahead of Bolton’s trip to Ipswich Town on Tuesday.

“It was quite a scrappy game but personally I like those games,” the defender told [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] after the game. “We dug in deep and while we didn’t get the goal, a point was the least we deserved.

“Preston didn’t have many clear-cut chances really. Ben made a few good saves while Dorian and I just do what we do and kept clearing it. I think we all played well. 

“All the lads knew what was expected and it’s always great for us defenders to keep a clean sheet. I was so happy to have kept one come the final whistle. 

“Admittedly it’s a little disappointing not to win, but it’s a good point for us and hopefully we can build on this and keep keeping clean sheets.”

Wheater continued: “We now need to go out like we did today again against Ipswich and hopefully get the goal. It’s never an easy place to go.

“The manager told us before the game that without playing we’d already climbed off the bottom of the league, so that gives us an extra incentive to climb higher up.

“It still sounds bad that we’re down there given the squad that we’ve got, but if we keep performing then the goals will come and if we keep defending like that then we should be alright.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by karlypants on Mon Nov 02 2015, 13:25; edited 1 time in total

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Preston were no attacking threat whatsoever, but if the defence can take some confidence from the clean sheet regardless its not a bad thing.

Prince will be back for Ipswich, that should (it better) spell the end for Dervite. Swap Derik out for Pisano (or even Vela) and the back 4 actually looks reasonably solid.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:Prince will be back for Ipswich, that should (it better) spell the end for Dervite. Swap Derik out for Pisano (or even Vela) and the back 4 actually looks reasonably solid.
You're right but it's indicative of the times when 3 of our back 4 are loanees.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:Prince will be back for Ipswich, that should (it better) spell the end for Dervite. Swap Derik out for Pisano (or even Vela) and the back 4 actually looks reasonably solid.

Eh?

wanderlust wrote:

The only loanee is Prince, Pisano. Wheater and Casado all permanent signings.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hadn't realised we'd signed Pisano and Casado permanently. Decent business IMO. Not sure about Derik who got a 3 year deal though. He can play but I'm not sure where.

wanderlust wrote:Hadn't realised we'd signed Pisano and Casado permanently. Decent business IMO. Not sure about Derik who got a 3 year deal though. He can play but I'm not sure where.

League 2?

He's not a RB that's for sure, I think he'll be fine for us though but Lennon needs to do him a favour and play him at CB.

bwfc1874 wrote:He's not a RB that's for sure, I think he'll be fine for us though but Lennon needs to do him a favour and play him at CB.

Last cb we bought from Madrid played the holding midfielder role pretty well. Maybe try him there

And the one before him.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Osede really has been a let down in the last few matches, mainly because of his distribution which has been just as sloppy as Derfuckinshite's and that's saying something.

It doesn't look like he's used to playing as a full back; I really hope it's all just a symptom of playing him out of position.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:

It doesn't look like he's used to playing as a full back; I really hope it's all just a symptom of playing him out of position.

You utter fuckwit, stop defending these ponces.

A pass to a white shirt is a pass to a white shirt wherever you are on the pitch. Just because you are in the right back position doesn't make it harder to kick a ball 5 yards.

His passing's poor but that's less important for a center back, if Lennon starts him again against Ipswich then we have to worry about him.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:His passing's poor but that's less important for a center back, if Lennon starts him again against Ipswich then we have to worry about him.

Of course he's going to play, we just kept a clean sheet.

Hopefully Lennons not that simple minded....

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:
doffcocker wrote:

You utter fuckwit, stop defending these ponces.

A pass to a white shirt is a pass to a white shirt wherever you are on the pitch. Just because you are in the right back position doesn't make it harder to kick a ball 5 yards.

I knew that would be your response, you absolute knobhead.

I take your point but clearly playing at full back and playing at centre half are two different jobs. I'm not saying he'd suddenly master the art of passing the ball to a white shirt a few metres away simply by swapping but it might bring out some of the qualities we wouldn't otherwise know he had. For example, he's obviously a tall, physical guy and he'll be able to make better use of that at centre half.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum