Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Neil Lennon confident Emile Heskey will play on

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wanderers boss Neil Lennon is confident Emile Heskey will continue to contribute to his team this season.

The Northern Irishman is sure his former Leicester City team-mate will be playing on despite national newspaper reports over the weekend linking him with a move away from the Macron Stadium in a coaching capacity.

The suggestion was that the 37-year-old was ready to hang up his boots and take up an offer to coach elsewhere after limited game time for Wanderers this season.

But Lennon has rubbished those rumours and says Heskey himself wants to play on into 2016 after signing a 12-month contract with the Whites at the start of the current campaign.

Speaking at a press conference ahead of tonight's trip to Ipswich Town, Lennon told The Bolton News: "He signed a 12-month contract at the start of the season and I expect him to play on for the rest of the season – that’s the intention.

"I don’t know where these stories have come from.

"He was in training as normal on Sunday.

"We have talked about him going into coaching but he feels he still has a bit to offer yet on the playing side of things.

"There is plenty of time for him to go into coaching after that."

Heskey joined Wanderers just before Christmas last year and scored on his debut in the Boxing Day derby triumph over Blackburn.

But he has failed to add to that strike and has started in just three of his 11 appearances so far this season.

The recent addition of Shola Ameobi has pushed the veteran further down the pecking order in attack but Lennon believes he still has something to offer.

And he says Heskey's presence on the training ground can help the younger members of his squad.

It is that impact that makes Lennon confident when Heskey does finally retire from playing he will be a successful coach.

He hopes that could even be at Wanderers, with the manager admitting it has already crossed his mind to speak with Heskey about staying on.

The Whites manager is planning a conversation with the ex-England striker towards the end of his current playing contract and has not ruled out adding him to his coaching staff at the Macron Stadium – helping the development of young forwards like Max Clayton, Tom Walker, Zach Clough and Kaiyne Woolery.

Lennon said: "I don’t see why he wouldn’t get involved here in coaching and that is something we will look at towards the end of the season.

"I think our young players will benefit from having someone like Emile coaching.

"He has a great presence and a lot to offer.

"He has had a great career and has a good knowledge of the game having played at various clubs at the highest level.

"He has a great temperament and will have that healthy respect from people as well."

Source

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i thought he'd packed in last season to be honest  Very Happy

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

It's bad news- he should hang his boots up and free up a shirt.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum