Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Shola Ameobi poised to get FA Cup recall at Eastleigh

+4
Natasha Whittam
BoltonTillIDie
wanderlust
karlypants
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Shola Ameobi’s time at Wanderers is ticking down – but the veteran striker may yet be given a last hurrah in the FA Cup clash against Eastleigh.

The 34-year-old striker is out of contract in a couple of weeks and looks unlikely to be retained because of the club’s current financial woes.

But with striking options thin on the ground, Neil Lennon looks set to utilise Ameobi’s experience in this weekend’s tricky third round tie.

Emile Heskey remains a doubt with a hamstring problem but Ameobi is now over the groin injury he picked up pre-Christmas against Hull City and has also shrugged off a virus that prevented him from training for most of last week.

Lennon did not risk the former Newcastle United man against Huddersfield but could name him on the bench at the Silverlake Stadium as his side look to avoid a cup upset.

The Wanderers boss is unsure about Ameobi’s future, however, and admitted the choice on whether to keep him would be out of his hands.

“I’m not in a position to make a decision on financial things,” he said. “That will be discussed later on in the week.”

Ameobi has made seven appearances since joining on a free transfer in late October and scored on his debut against Leeds United. But he has not featured in the last five games and has yet to finish on the winning side since signing a short-term contract.

He said back in November that he would be doing “everything he can” to secure a longer deal at the Macron but with all funds currently being diverted towards a tax and VAT bill due on January 18, the Nigeria international cannot be given any guarantees.

Dean Moxey, another player who has been linked heavily with a move elsewhere in the transfer window, has his sights fixed firmly on the upcoming FA Cup clash at Eastleigh.

Wolves and Bristol City have enquired about the experienced full-back, who is arguably Wanderers’ most in-form player at present but Neil Lennon has confirmed that no firm bid has been made by either club for the former Crystal Palace man.

Moxey is no stranger to the South Coast, where he cut his footballing teeth playing for hometown club Exeter City but admits the tie is a walk into the unknown for most at Wanderers.

“We’re looking forward to it,” he said. “It’s more down my neck of the woods too but I’m sure a lot of people will have had to Google where Eastleigh is!

“My old team-mate from Exeter City, Chris Todd, is actually Eastleigh’s manager, so that’ll make things more interesting on the day.

“They’ll fancy their chances of an upset with it being the cup but we need to go down there and be professional with our attitude and get the job done.”

Moxey was part of the Grecians side that claimed a replay against mighty Manchester United at Old Trafford in 2005. Both he and Todd were in the squad for the home tie at St James Park, which was eventually lost 2-0.

The incentive of an extra payday is a formidable one for lower league clubs at this stage of the competition and with his old club Exeter also drawing a plum tie, against Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool, Moxey knows exactly what a difficult task awaits this weekend.

“I’ve been involved in cup upsets before so I know how they will be feeling ahead of this game,” he told the club’s matchday programme. “It’s the one competition where no-one cares which league you are in as anything can happen on the day.

“On the other side of the draw my old team Exeter have done well in terms of drawing Liverpool at home. We were in their shoes last season, obviously, but for them it’s a massive coup and hopefully they’ll be able to get a decent result to pick up some funds.”

Moxey is also just two appearances shy of 400 in his career and should reach the landmark next week when Wanderers travel to Hillsborough to face Sheffield Wednesday.

“I certainly feel like I’ve played that many games,” he said. “I’ve been very lucky and it’s nice to say that I’ve been involved in that number of matches.”

Source

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Moronic decision if Ameobi is picked. 
He's offski in a fortnight so why aren't they giving Woolery or one of the other young strikers a run out?

Or even try a new system that doesn't involve lumping it up to a target man? And if Lennon insists on playing a target man why no stick with Madine? - he certainly needs goals to get his confidence back.

Absolutely no point in picking Ameobi.

I was about to comment the same thing, fuck off Lennon.

You're both thinking about this with your "Using this game to do what's best for the team" hats on.

Unfortunately, the people in charge are wearing their "Let's not jeopardise any potential sales in January" caps.

We're getting close to Official Meltdown Day on the 18th now, so it's about protecting anybody who may be shipped out for a fee.

And being cup tied or injured affects potential sales value.

Ameobi is cannon fodder and dispensable, hence why he's in the frame.

I fully expect to see a team made up of loan players and those who are properly on the fringes or have no inherent transfer value - Rachubka will play against Eastleigh, for example.

Not saying it's what I'd do, just how I think they're viewing things.

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Why not play some of the under 21s. That young Alex lad would be good

Agree with you BTID, we're not going to get any money for the kids in January either so there's little point in wrapping them in cotton wool (if that is Lennon's thinking). We won't see any fresh faces coming in January unless we promote from within, it's a blatant opportunity for Lennon to experiment.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Funny that all the "fans" advocating we play the kids are those that won't be at the game, or any game in the near future.

I take it you're taking the Whittam family helicopter down to Eastleigh then Nat?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:I take it you're taking the Whittam family helicopter down to Eastleigh then Nat?

I have friends in Winchester. Going on the train on Friday, returning Sunday.

I sold the helicopter when the credit crunch hit Whittam Towers.

I honestly don't think Lennon will be here in a month's time and I think he feels the same.

Ergo, he giveth not one shit regarding developing da yoof.

Breadman wrote:I honestly don't think Lennon will be here in a month's time and I think he feels the same.

Ergo, he giveth not one shit regarding developing da yoof.

Might be some truth in that, he gave Clough his go this time last year in the Cup though. Just hope he says fuck it and gives us something interesting as opposed to turgid dross like Ameobi.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's clear some of you bellends really don't care about winning.

We need a full strength side to win this one, not kids that will be the ultimate in lightweight ponces.

Do you seriously think that Ameobi constitutes a full strength side?

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I think Nat said in another post...... we go for a win and then a draw against United away.....for the pay day that why.
Therefore play the strongest team .....whatever that might be.

And my opinion is the likes of Ameobi have done nothing to prove they're part of a 'strongest team'. New blood may well freshen up the side in the same way Holding and Clough have over the last 12 months. I'd have more faith in us getting a result with some kids in there personally.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

The sad fact is that Team Selection is probably not in Lennon's hands anymore. I think he's been told not to play certain people in this match because cup tying them might prevent their sale. I fully expect to see no Clough, Vela, Mavies, Wheater or Amos as a result. Lennon may have to leave the kids out too as any player under 23 is subject to a fee whether he's under contract or not. If 2 clubs can't agree it's set by a tribunal which is why downgrading the academy when we did was a stupid move. I don't know who will play this weekend but I suspect it will be a team made up of players like Ameobi and Heskey, men who have no resale value and can therefore be cup tied without adverse financial consequences. I'd bet even Tom Eaves might get a game for this one.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

steady on LPP, Tom Eaves, you'll be saying Wilkinson as well next  affraid

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:And my opinion is the likes of Ameobi have done nothing to prove they're part of a 'strongest team'. New blood may well freshen up the side in the same way Holding and Clough have over the last 12 months. I'd have more faith in us getting a result with some kids in there personally.

How many 16 or 17 year olds have stepped up to the BWFC first team in the last 100 years?

You know fook all about football.

Natasha Whittam wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:And my opinion is the likes of Ameobi have done nothing to prove they're part of a 'strongest team'. New blood may well freshen up the side in the same way Holding and Clough have over the last 12 months. I'd have more faith in us getting a result with some kids in there personally.

How many 16 or 17 year olds have stepped up to the BWFC first team in the last 100 years?

You know fook all about football.

Ricardo 'Eusebio' Vaz Te.

Now take that back.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Loads but I'm not sure how relevant it is.
Ray Parry was 15 and I think Reidy was 16 from memory but it's not the point. We have a bunch of 19 and 20 year olds to choose from and seeing as we might have to manage the rest of the season with them they probably need the experience. That said, there's nothing wrong in what you say about getting the win and hoping for a payout - which could go towards helping us keep Clough, Vela or Mavies, but I suspect  the next round will be too late to affect what's going to happen on the 18th or beforehand.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum