Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tactical preparation is key for interim boss Jimmy Phillips

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Jimmy Phillips has warned his players to prepare for more homework between now and the end of the season.

After a nightmarish start to his second stint in temporary charge of Wanderers, Phillips has used the international break to start putting his own stamp on the first team.

The academy boss had just one full training session to work with his squad before the humiliating 6-0 defeat at Bristol City but is happy his message has now been put across after extra time to work with the players.

Phillips is keen to put a stronger emphasis on tactical work, bringing more meticulous preparation to the game than had been favoured by his predecessor Neil Lennon.

And though Wanderers’ fate may already be sealed in the Championship, the interim manager is keen to show fans – and potentially the club’s owners – his own methods can get more out of the team.

“I have been coaching for 15 years and I believe in preparing a team a certain way for a game at the weekend,” he told The Bolton News.

“You scout your opposition, you come up with a game plan, you work hard on formation and tactics.

“I have reviewed the training methods and moving forward I want to start removing the mistakes we have made in games like Bristol City.

“I have reflected and reviewed the game and come to the conclusion I need to be coaching a team of 11, rather than a lot of individuals.”

Of the starting 11 humbled at Bristol City, six players had Premier League experience.

Phil Brown – one of the other leading candidates for the manager’s job – said at the weekend the group had “massively underachieved” under Lennon despite off-the-field problems this season.

Phillips has been left to pick up the pieces and the first step towards stabilising the club, claims the 50-year-old coach, is to improve the team ethic that has ebbed away as the club slides towards relegation.

“That is the way football has always been,” he said. “Eleven players need to work together, pulling in the same direction.

“You work hard to cover any weak points and focus on your strengths. It isn’t rocket science.

“It has been a difficult season for everyone at the club, on and off the pitch, but it is important we start to restore some pride in what we are doing.

“We are looking to become a team again. It doesn’t matter what division we are playing in, that is the base we all have to get back to.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum