Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Do you love vinyl?

+11
Banks of the Croal
Hip Priest
rogercpc
Lard Lad
karlypants
Soul Kitchen
Reebok Trotter
boltonbonce
luckyPeterpiper
scottjames30
Norpig
15 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1Do you love vinyl? Empty Do you love vinyl? Tue Apr 19 2016, 17:28

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

There is a massive interest in vinyl now and it seems to be making a comeback but i have to admit i was never a lover of vinyl, even way back in the 1980's when i started buying music.

I did start to buy vinyl as a youngster but quickly realised that they got scratched too easily and of course you couldn't carry a turntable around with headphones like a walkman. Cassettes were always my favourite and stuck with them for a long while even when CD's came out.

People always bang on about the vinyl sound being the best but i disagree, are you a fan of vinyl and have decided to dust off the turntable and get all the old records out or are we all now downloading and streaming our music?

2Do you love vinyl? Empty Re: Do you love vinyl? Tue Apr 19 2016, 17:31

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I prefer YouTube .

3Do you love vinyl? Empty Re: Do you love vinyl? Tue Apr 19 2016, 17:40

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I love vinyl but to be honest I was never one of the crowd that felt the sound was better than CD. 

I pretty much recorded every record I bought onto cassettes making my own compilation tapes for my walkman. Later on I did the same with CD's. More recently my son copied a whole bunch of music onto an i-pod for me using a gadget that plays records on my PC and connects to the USB port. We do own a stereo but in all honesty I can't remember the last time we actually used it because we rarely listen to music as a family now.

4Do you love vinyl? Empty Re: Do you love vinyl? Tue Apr 19 2016, 17:42

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I like it,but my arm aches winding the handle.
Do you love vinyl? Dave_guttridgeswns_450x300

5Do you love vinyl? Empty Re: Do you love vinyl? Tue Apr 19 2016, 18:14

There's a lot of nostalgic bollocks gets talked about vinyl.

Admittedly the quality of your speakers and your stylus had a big say in how good records sounded, but vinyl was generally scratchy and crackly and when CD's came out, it was like a breath of fresh air for the ears.

In fact, along with being able to fit more songs on one disc, that was the big selling point when CD's initially came out - no more scratchy jumping, mid-song because the disc's were manufactured in a secret, space age Philips factory somewhere just outside Eindhoven and they would last forever.

Shame that turned out to be a lie too.

6Do you love vinyl? Empty Re: Do you love vinyl? Tue Apr 19 2016, 18:19

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

My problem is storage. My CD's are all over the place. I tend to download these days.

I have a few Brucie 78's though. 'My Little Budgie' is a cracker. 

I've got 9,000 copies if anyone is interested. Very Happy

7Do you love vinyl? Empty Re: Do you love vinyl? Wed Apr 20 2016, 09:18

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i still like to buy the CD's but i do download from itunes as well now. I'm like you Boncey i have CD's everywhere but to be honest once i've copied them onto my ipod i rarely play the actual CD.

My biggest worry now is my ipod classic breaking as they aren't making them anymore and i don't know what i would replace it with. I love the ipod because i can have my entire collection in one place and can listen to anything i want.

8Do you love vinyl? Empty Re: Do you love vinyl? Wed Apr 20 2016, 09:45

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I still have my old vinyl collection but I haven't played a record in ages. In the seventies I can remember spending my time upstairs in WH Smith in the town centre, adding to my LP collection. I started off with a Pioneer record player and deck and later on, my biggest expense was treating myself to a Bang and Olufsen state of the art record player and speakers with a graphic equalizer. The problem with vinyl was that the records used to scratch very easily and I don't think the sound quality was anywhere near as good as it is today with all the modern technology used in the music industry.

9Do you love vinyl? Empty Re: Do you love vinyl? Wed Apr 20 2016, 10:01

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

As i said before the scratching was always my big issue, have you seen the price of a vinyl LP now? They are just short of £20!

Most of the younger generation don't even pay at all for their music (yes i know i sound old) these days as they download from file sharing sites or just stream it from spotify, Deezer etc

10Do you love vinyl? Empty Re: Do you love vinyl? Wed Apr 20 2016, 11:00

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Norpig wrote:As i said before the scratching was always my big issue, have you seen the price of a vinyl LP now? They are just short of £20!

Most of the younger generation don't even pay at all for their music (yes i know i sound old) these days as they download from file sharing sites or just stream it from spotify, Deezer etc

Resurrected all my vinyl out the loft about 6 months ago and just bought a fresh deck. I've got scratch free vinyl from early seventies because I looked after it by not lending out, playing on decent kit and not taking to parties.
What's more I've a couple of friends who never left the vinyl stage with some quality stuff in good nick.
I've washed vinyl with a soft cloth and water/ detergent mix to good effect in the past.
Would I buy vinyl now no.

11Do you love vinyl? Empty Re: Do you love vinyl? Wed Apr 20 2016, 11:06

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

sounds like a lot of effort SK to be honest, think i'll stick to CD's  Very Happy

12Do you love vinyl? Empty Re: Do you love vinyl? Wed Apr 20 2016, 11:08

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Why not just get one of these? Very Happy

here

13Do you love vinyl? Empty Re: Do you love vinyl? Wed Apr 20 2016, 11:27

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Norpig wrote:sounds like a lot of effort SK to be honest, think i'll stick to CD's  Very Happy

Depends what you're into. With over 300 albums in my loft it was sell um or play um and knowing the condition they where in it had to be. I've no regrets and the sound is not as harsh as cd's.
When you buy vinyl now you get an mp3 download link. Apparently the younger element do this and don't have a turntable which seems a bit dumb to me.
It's like buying cd's, ripping them and binning the cd! I know folk that do that.

14Do you love vinyl? Empty Re: Do you love vinyl? Wed Apr 20 2016, 11:49

Lard Lad

Lard Lad
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

I still have some 78's in the loft.

15Do you love vinyl? Empty Re: Do you love vinyl? Wed Apr 20 2016, 12:07

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

If I was remotely interested in Donald Swan I probably would have too!

16Do you love vinyl? Empty Re: Do you love vinyl? Thu Apr 21 2016, 08:06

Lard Lad

Lard Lad
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

No it was too much trouble what with dust static faulty records falling asleep and waking up to that noise. Great when CD's came out I still have my original Yamaha player and it is a lovely creamy sound,Creek amp and Heybrook speakers. Still got my Rega deck but never use it.

17Do you love vinyl? Empty Re: Do you love vinyl? Thu Apr 21 2016, 08:08

Lard Lad

Lard Lad
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Soul Kitchen wrote:If I was remotely interested in Donald Swan I probably would have too!
How about Donald Duck.

18Do you love vinyl? Empty Re: Do you love vinyl? Thu Apr 21 2016, 23:19

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Have you played any Beatles shit on your deck? I won't be playing any to preserve the needle, just as I don't want to fuck the laser and cones up!

19Do you love vinyl? Empty Re: Do you love vinyl? Fri Apr 22 2016, 07:51

Lard Lad

Lard Lad
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Soul Kitchen wrote:Have you played any Beatles shit on your deck? I won't be playing any to preserve the needle, just as I don't want to fuck the laser and cones up!
In your rush to be a clever smart arse you seem to have missed that I stated that I don't use my deck. Not for at least twenty years in fact. When I did though I would never have been such a fool as to wash vynal in soapy water that is such a stupid thing to do. I treated mine properly purchasing the correct cleaning products thus my Flycatcher James recordings are in tip top condition still. Why don't you go the whole hog and use a scrubbing brush and vinegar on your Beatles records or better still can you still get vim or is it cif now whatever it can't be any worse than soapy water:lol!:

20Do you love vinyl? Empty Re: Do you love vinyl? Fri Apr 22 2016, 08:03

I like AD version 7.0  Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum