Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Phillips urges Wanderers' owners to make their minds up on new boss quickly

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Jimmy Phillips has urged Wanderers to sort out their managerial vacancy as a matter of urgency – or risk being under-prepared for League One.

The interim boss takes charge of his final game at Fulham tomorrow looking to sign off a dreadful campaign on a more positive note.

But as thoughts turn towards a first season outside the top two divisions for 23 years, Phillips believes it is vital the club end the uncertainty over Neil Lennon’s replacement as quickly as they can.

“For everybody’s sake the club needs to know who the next manager will be; certainly the backroom staff do,” he told The Bolton News.

“There have been some tentative plans made for pre-season but it’s not until a new manager comes in will he be able to confirm everything and say ‘this is the direction we need the club to go.’

“I think it’s vital that the club get the position filled as soon as possible and then they can start attacking preparations for League One.”

Wanderers are being as thorough as possible in their search and, thus far, only one candidate has met directly with both Ken Anderson and Dean Holdsworth – described to The Bolton News yesterday as “a potential coup” to the club.

The club is keeping its options open, however, and the situation is complicated further by managerial vacancies at other clubs, most notably Championship Nottingham Forest.

Phillips and Peter Reid have been asked to soldier on and will be without Josh Vela at Craven Cottage, the midfielder still suffering from shin splints which forced him out of the victory over Hull City last time out.

Gary Madine is still not fit but fitness checks will be run on Wellington Silva and Oscar Threlkeld to see if they can play any part.

The emphasis in West London will once again be on youth, with Phillips set to blood another couple of untested players in the match-day squad.

But while the long-serving coach has done his best to lay groundwork for the next man in charge, he believes the summer will bring some huge challenges to Wanderers, from top to bottom.

“I think the club has got one of the most important summers ahead of it there has been in the last 25-30 years in terms of the transfer market, getting the right players in, and dealing with the financial matters they might have if some of the bigger earning players don’t want to leave,” he said.

“I don’t know whether they want to leave, or whether they will stay here, that’s something for the board to sort out.”

Source

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

"Wanderers are being as thorough as possible in their search and, thus far, only one candidate has met directly with both Ken Anderson and Dean Holdsworth"

scratch  Say What !!!!  it's May and they have only interviewed one bloke .....

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

terenceanne wrote:"Wanderers are being as thorough as possible in their search and, thus far, only one candidate has met directly with both Ken Anderson and Dean Holdsworth"

scratch  Say What !!!!  it's May and they have only interviewed one bloke .....
I wouldn't bet on it being even that many terence. In fact I bet the only person they've "interviewed" is each other. I still firmly predict that either JP or Peter Reid will be announced as manager by May 16th, a week on Monday. If it's Jimmy then Reid will be Director Of Football. If it's Peter then Jimmy will go back to being in charge of whatever's left of the academy. 

As for the 'coup' they're claiming, well, maybe they think Sierra Leone is a Spanish manager or something.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum