Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Hollow Crown

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Hollow Crown Empty The Hollow Crown Mon May 09 2016, 21:19

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I'm probably in a minority again but I've just watched the latest part of the BBC's Shakespeare's mini series which they have called The Hollow Crown and started a year or so ago - and it was brilliant.

Yes I know Shakespeare is a big turn off for many but if you can get into him he is probably the best story teller you will ever get to hear/watch.

The latest play is Henry VI part I.

Doesn't sound too gripping I know but it is about the War of the Roses, or at least setting the back ground to it which the next instalment of the series will develop further.

Basically without giving too much away the King (Henry VI) is weak and others see their chance to take his crown.

One chancer is the Duke of York, who should have been the king anyway except his granddad was usurped (had the crown taken from him by the founder of the House of Lancaster) Henry IV.

He is claiming the crown by birth right.

The other chancer (and the baddie) is the current head of the House of Lancaster, Lord Sommerset (yes I know, but that is what he is called).

Basically he is trying to manipulate the king through the queen who he fancies (and she does he!).

Throw into that the background of losing our possessions in France (the King's dad Henry V won the famous battle at Agincourt which meant he was going to be the next King of France when the current one died - but Henry died first!).

Also witchcraft, treason, adultery and murder chucked in as well - and all reasonably based on known facts (more or lessish!) and you have one hell of a gripping story.

Fwiw I watch Shakespeare with the subtitles on and from time to time have a quick look on wiki to understand some of the characters better and how they fit in to the story.

If you do manage to get into the story you certainly wont regret it with other plays covering the War of the Roses leading to my favourite of all Shakespeare plays, Richard III (the one the found in the Leicester car park not so long back!).

2The Hollow Crown Empty Re: The Hollow Crown Mon May 09 2016, 22:35

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I get very annoyed with people who sit there and laugh at the 'jokes' in Shakespeare. As if they're better than the rest of us.

All those plays were written by Bacon anyway.

3The Hollow Crown Empty Re: The Hollow Crown Mon May 09 2016, 23:16

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Whoever wrote them, they are belting story's.

I certainly don't consider myself to be a snob or anything and I'm not saying Shakespeare is easy to follow but if you do get into them like I have (particularly his historical plays) I think you would enjoy them - I know I do.

I did consider starting another thread other than this one tonight but I thought from past experience that one on the current Giro d'Italia would be less received than this on Shakespeare!

(Mikel Landa the man to beat imo).

4The Hollow Crown Empty Re: The Hollow Crown Tue May 10 2016, 07:40

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:
If you do manage to get into the story you certainly wont regret it with other plays covering the War of the Roses leading to my favourite of all Shakespeare plays, Richard III (the one the found in the Leicester car park not so long back!).
Irish bloke goes into the library and asks if they have a copy of Dick the Shit...

5The Hollow Crown Empty Re: The Hollow Crown Tue May 10 2016, 09:44

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:I get very annoyed with people who sit there and laugh at the 'jokes' in Shakespeare. As if they're better than the rest of us.

Francis Bacon?

6The Hollow Crown Empty Re: The Hollow Crown Tue May 10 2016, 11:58

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok Trotter wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:I get very annoyed with people who sit there and laugh at the 'jokes' in Shakespeare. As if they're better than the rest of us.

Francis Bacon?
I'm hoping there's a veggie option. Very Happy

7The Hollow Crown Empty Re: The Hollow Crown Tue May 10 2016, 12:20

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok Trotter wrote:

Francis Bacon?

Some academics rushed to speculate it was him, but I think they couldn't have been rasher.

SAUCE

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]