Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Four in the frame for Wanderers manager's job

+6
Natasha Whittam
doffcocker
Norpig
Boggersbelief
finlaymcdanger
Sluffy
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Pete....

FFS.......

Loath as I am to agree with Whittam, put some fucking paragraph and line breaks in.

Your stuff is honestly hard to read because it's always one big block of words.

If you think I'm out of line, fair enough, but I'm genuinely trying to help and it's difficult to take in.

I can only speak for myself but, if I'm honest, many's the time I've started reading one of your comments and then just given up because it's difficult to follow because of the formatting.

Put....some....gaps....in...mate.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

O ... K ... Bread .... man. Very Happy

Is ... This .... Bet .... ter? Smile

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I                           like                                       it                               Peter. Very Happy

Could 
                    start              

a   

new                                   

trend.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:
wanderlust wrote:The Southampton experiment is not reproducible though as they took over Crewe's mantle as top development club and were able to have a shot at attracting the best young players like Ox, Walcott etc. who would normally sign for the likes of Manure as soon as the placenta was off. 
That's why our young players are always likely to be second string. If we do produce a couple of gems who go on to top careers, maybe then we'll be in a position to say to parents that we are a better option for their young superstar in the long run.
In what way is it not possible to replicate lusty?
Ultimately, anything is possible but we not only lack the money at the moment but we can't evidence the success in developing young players that is absolutely essential to attract the better quality prospects away from the top teams when they sign up at the age of 8 or 9 as is the way these days.

It's a chicken and egg problem inasmuch that Southampton had an unexceptional academy before they started to produce exceptional players like Channon, Chivers, and then Le Tissier and Alan Shearer. That in turn gave them the leverage to persuade parents to sign the top kids up rather than go to a massive club. Success breeds success and the next generation was phenomenally successful at producing a stream of internationals like Bale, Walcott, Ox, Lallana and loads of others. With that record, it's relatively easy to attract the top young talent.

Currently they have a Cat 1 academy that includes over 20 internationals at all junior levels. They have the core of the probable future England team and will continue to attract the best kids.

In order for us to reproduce that we have to get lucky and find two or three youngsters in our ranks that go to the very top. Maybe then we can start to attract top quality at a young age instead of the rejects, but it's a long road and requires more than a smattering of luck to get there.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

wanderlust wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:
wanderlust wrote:The Southampton experiment is not reproducible though as they took over Crewe's mantle as top development club and were able to have a shot at attracting the best young players like Ox, Walcott etc. who would normally sign for the likes of Manure as soon as the placenta was off. 
That's why our young players are always likely to be second string. If we do produce a couple of gems who go on to top careers, maybe then we'll be in a position to say to parents that we are a better option for their young superstar in the long run.
In order for us to reproduce that we have to get lucky and find two or three youngsters in our ranks that go to the very top. Maybe then we can start to attract top quality at a young age instead of the rejects, but it's a long road and requires more than a smattering of luck to get there.
Agreed, hopefully the likes of Holding and Clough will be the start of that.

Personally I felt that downgrading the academy was a mistake at the time and could in the long run cost us a lot more than it's meant to be saving now.

However I don't know if it's actually possible to re-upgrade to elite status later. If it is then that's one of the things I would make a priority once the books are sorted. I'd do it now tbh but I doubt the owners have the funds to make it happen and won't until the big wage berks are off the books.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:
Agreed, hopefully the likes of Holding and Clough will be the start of that.

Personally I felt that downgrading the academy was a mistake at the time and could in the long run cost us a lot more than it's meant to be saving now.

However I don't know if it's actually possible to re-upgrade to elite status later. If it is then that's one of the things I would make a priority once the books are sorted. I'd do it now tbh but I doubt the owners have the funds to make it happen and won't until the big wage berks are off the books.
Currently we are struggling to retain Cat 2 status though....

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

wanderlust wrote:Currently we are struggling to retain Cat 2 status though....
I know, I read the article that said Ken and Dean are considering downgrading it again. Personally I think that would be beyond stupid, there's no way we could save enough money to make it worthwhile and the devaluation of our young players that accompanies such a move would wind up costing us possibly millions in the long run.

I appreciate the need to cut costs and balance the books but this is NOT the right place to do it imo.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum