Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wanderers have aimed high in manager chase, claims co-owner Ken Anderson

+6
boltonbonce
Norpig
wessy
wanderlust
bryan458
karlypants
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ken Anderson claims Wanderers have sniffed out some “big names” in their managerial chase.

The field has now been narrowed down considerably with Nigel Adkins, Steve Cotterill and Chris Powell holding official interviews on Monday.

But the Whites co-owner has revealed some of the near-misses in the club’s search to find a permanent successor to Neil Lennon.

One coach – who will be in the dugout at this summer’s European Championships – has asked to be kept abreast of future developments at the Macron Stadium.

Gareth Southgate, the England Under-21 boss, declined a role to concentrate on his work at the FA.

And ex-Swansea City man Garry Monk was also offered the opportunity to interview, turning it down to pursue other vacant positions.

“We have looked at a very high standard of manager,” he said. “It has been a very tough task whittling them down.

“Even after speaking with three people on Monday I have been contacted by another two managers who I feel would be worthy of consideration.

“Putting my head down on the pillow last night my head was spinning. I started wondering whether I’d created more questions than answers.

“It may be that we speak to a couple more. I would like to have appointed someone by the end of the week but I think it’s more important we make doubly sure we get the right person.”

The three men who have certainly been considered are Adkins, the former Sheffield United boss who has won promotion from League One with Scunthorpe United and Southampton, Steve Cotterill who guided Bristol City to the Championship last year, and Powell, who took Charlton Athletic up in 2012.

Source

bryan458

bryan458
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

BIG NAMES !!! is this tit on drugs ??

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bryan458 wrote:BIG NAMES !!! is this tit on drugs ??
TBF they are big names for a League 1 team on the edge of insolvency with an overinflated wage bill and no money for the incoming manager to build the squad in his own image. Not sure what more could be expected in our position.

bryan458

bryan458
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

wanderlust wrote:
TBF they are big names for a League 1 team on the edge of insolvency with an overinflated wage bill and no money for the incoming manager to build the squad in his own image. Not sure what more could be expected in our position.
IMO Peter Reid would be far better than any of those mentioned !! Anderson already sounds like another Gartside

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bryan458 wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
IMO Peter Reid would be far better than any of those mentioned !! Anderson already sounds like another Gartside
Anderson certainly is dogmatic. it's almost as if he won't have Reid because Deano wants him or that he's an ex-player and he's trying to prove a point.

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Bryan
Who do you consider to be a big name, you expecting Moyes, Pearson, etc.

This is May 2016 not 2006.

I for one never wanted Reid the day he put Heskey on instead of one of the kids, despite being already relegated, finished him off for me.

Ok he played for us, so did Coyle. I want a young up and coming hungry manager, but the names in the frame do not excite.

bryan458

bryan458
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

wessy wrote:
Bryan
Who do you consider to be a big name, you expecting Moyes, Pearson, etc.

This is May 2016 not 2006.

I for one never wanted Reid the day he put Heskey on instead of one of the kids, despite being already relegated, finished him off for me.

Ok he played for us, so did Coyle. I want a young up and coming hungry manager, but the names in the frame do not excite.
so the likes of Cotterill, adkins and powell are acceptable to you ??

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

they are the best we can realistically get Bryan, which really is the sad part of all this

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The dream...
Wanderers have aimed high in manager chase, claims co-owner Ken Anderson Does-wanting-a-rich-man-make-you-a-gold-digger-665x498
The reality...
Wanderers have aimed high in manager chase, claims co-owner Ken Anderson Image2058_fa_rszd

Bollotom2014

Bollotom2014
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Coyle's free again. Left by mutual consent cos of family.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bollotom2014 wrote:Coyle's free again. Left by mutual consent cos of family.
 nothing to do with them being bottom of the league then?  Very Happy

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Adkins or Cotterill would be ok, not sure Powell has done much in management.

Bollotom2014

Bollotom2014
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Norpig wrote:
Bollotom2014 wrote:Coyle's free again. Left by mutual consent cos of family.
 nothing to do with them being bottom of the league then?  Very Happy

Apparently needs to be closer to his family. Now I'm a simple man but know that there's more than a couple of miles between here and theer. Mayhap he thought he could do a daily commute. Still, it's a bit of a coincidence.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:Adkins or Cotterill would be ok, not sure Powell has done much in management.
I rate Powell, largely because his work has been done with nothing or close to it financially and he's still improved the teams he managed. He's never set the world alight but he has been a steady and largely positive presence. However, of the names mentioned I think Adkins would be the best of them and as others have stated we're not in a position to really talk about who we'd want only who we can realistically get.

If Anderson really is serious about not wanting Peter Reid as manager I have to admit to a certain amount of relief despite him being one of my boyhood heroes. Reidy's been out of management for a long time and I for one don't think he improved the team the way some here have said he did. We only got one win out of his and Jimmy's tenure, suffered the worst defeat of the season and generally (to me at least) looked less committed not more.

Of course it's still all speculation and Anderson might be spouting the same guff he did when he wrote his now infamous programme notes to tell us the new manager was set but hopefully we really are close to having someone who wants the job and could move us forward on the pitch.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I like Peter Reid, but he's been all over the place over a period of 25 years and only had one or two seasons where he did anything good.

What kind of message would it send out appointing some desperate old bloke who's barely achieved anything?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:What kind of message would it send out appointing some desperate old bloke who's barely achieved anything?

A question your future employer will be asking himself in 20 years.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Razz

doffcocker wrote:

What kind of message would it send out appointing some desperate old bloke who's barely achieved anything?

I've made a career out of "pulling a Reidy".

By the time they suss me, I'm long gone with their cheque in my pocket and a big grin on my fizzer.

Me 1 : 0 The Man.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

See me in my office tomorrow. :nuts:

Pants optional?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum