Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wanderers will take their time to pick right manager for the job

+5
Natasha Whittam
boltonbonce
Bwfc1958
luckyPeterpiper
karlypants
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ken Anderson is in the middle of a chemistry test as he plots Wanderers’ next move on the manager front.

Alongside Dean Holdsworth, the co-owner has whittled down the shortlist to half a dozen names which are now in contention for the vacant Macron Stadium post, interviewing three men on Monday, with one more to come.

A final decision could be made as early as next week – but Anderson admits he and Holdsworth are still weighing up pros and cons of all the personalities involved, which could add some extra time to the process.

“I interviewed three different people with very different chemistry and I have to say it is a very difficult choice, which seems to be getting harder by the moment,” he told The Bolton News.

“Even after the interviews, when we thought we knew exactly what we had to choose between, we ended up with more questions than answers. It was a very, very impressive bunch.

“It is now about looking at the chemistry and picking which man will be the best fit for Bolton Wanderers.”

Chris Powell, Nigel Adkins and Steve Cotterill sat down for talks on Monday and are now very much in the driving seat, according to Anderson.

It is hoped another manager, who is already in a job, will sit down for talks in the next few days.

But The Bolton News understands Wanderers are still not a closed shop and that two other candidates have now made contact to say they wish to be considered.

One of those men is thought to be Leeds United boss Steve Evans.

The Scot is under contract until June 30 at Elland Road but Massimo Cellino’s very public search for a successor has left him looking around for options.

His advisors are believed to have contacted Wanderers to sound out the possibility of an interview.

That leaves Anderson and Holdsworth with a big decision to make with each boasting experience of leading a side out of League One into the Championship.

Now, says the co-owner, it becomes a case of deciding which personality could best fit a group of players who have struggled for the past couple of seasons.

“We have a choice to make but I don’t think, overall, there is a lot between them in terms of what they have achieved in management,” he said.

“We have to look beyond that now and see what they are like as people.

“Look at Arsene Wenger and Jose Mourinho, both obviously very capable managers but completely different people who go about things a completely different way.

“The three men interviewed at the start of the week are all successful in their own right but it boils down to which one is right for Bolton?”

Source

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Is it just me or does anyone else think this is getting both stupid and tiresome now? Yesterday it was 4 candidates, now it's six. A few weeks ago the manager was 'set'. At this rate we'll get to August with a BN headline "Simon Cowell and Louis Walsh join the M-Factor judging panel."

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

luckyPeterpiper wrote:Is it just me or does anyone else think this is getting both stupid and tiresome now? Yesterday it was 4 candidates, now it's six. A few weeks ago the manager was 'set'. At this rate we'll get to August with a BN headline "Simon Cowell and Louis Walsh join the M-Factor judging panel."
You're not on your own Pete. This whole thing is a joke.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Paddy will be hosting a managerial version at this rate. 

Wanderers will take their time to pick right manager for the job Z

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Very Happy

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bwfc1958 wrote:

It's not a joke at all, this is how business works.

In the past we've announced new managers within days of kicking out the previous one - how has that worked out for us?

I'd rather they took their time and got the right man.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:Paddy will be hosting a managerial version at this rate. 
Wow. Is this some kind of voluntary euthanasia-themed gameshow?

Brilliant concept and long overdue.

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Bwfc1958 wrote:

In the past we've announced new managers within days of kicking out the previous one - how has that worked out for us?

There's taking your time and there's taking the piss. I think we're bordering on the latter now.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bwfc1958 wrote:
There's taking your time and there's taking the piss. I think we're bordering on the latter now.

Bullshit. You shouldn't rush into a decision like this if there isn't one outstanding candidate.

I once waited 6 months for the right salesman to become available - sales dipped for those 6 months but once he started he more than made up for the shortfall.

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Bwfc1958 wrote:

or woman.

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Bwfc1958 wrote:

Bullshit. You shouldn't rush into a decision like this if there isn't one outstanding candidate.

I once waited 6 months for the right salesman to become available - sales dipped for those 6 months but once he started he more than made up for the shortfall.
Yes but you're using the word salesman rather than pimp. It's completely different.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Bwfc1958 wrote:

Do you think if we'd taken our time in the past, things would have been different?

Yes, Owen has won promotion with Burnley against all the odds, but we've had a long think about it, and we're going to look elsewhere.

Yes, Dougie has turned Palace around, but we're not quite convinced he's the man for us.

OK, Neil is a young upcoming manager, highly regarded by many in the game, but having thought it through, we think we can do better.

You have to admit, there's only so much weighing up you can do.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

The search will last longer than he keeps the job ....  however I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:

But we already know there's never going to be an outstanding candidate. Even if there was somebody who's done alright everywhere they've been, they'll still potentially muck it up at Bolton.

It's alright trying to dress this up as a couple of people just looking to make a careful business decision, but it smacks more of "we don't know what day it is".

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum