Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Max Clayton return will be a big boost for Bolton – Dean Holdsworth

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Max Clayton could yet be Wanderers’ “diamond in the rough” this season, according to Dean Holdsworth.

The talented young striker has been unlucky with injury since signing for the Whites nearly two years ago but is due to report for pre-season training today with the rest of the squad.

Clayton suffered a freak hamstring tear last November during a 1-1 draw with Brentford, just eight games after he had battled back from a ruptured cruciate ligament.

As such, the Whites are keen for the 21-year-old to move along at his own pace this summer and he will work closely with new sports science chief Nick Allenby before being cleared completely to return to action.

Holdsworth is looking forward to seeing the former England youth international in action, having heard glowing recommendations from within the camp.

“I know he’s aching to get back and I think so long as we manage him right, he can be a real asset to the club,” the co-owner told The Bolton News.

“I know how he will be feeling because I got a very bad injury at 17 myself. You feel starved of football and you’re just desperate to get out there and get a game.

“But you have to use your head too, and if we can do that with Max – who seems a very good lad – then I think we have got a player on our hands there. A diamond in the rough to shine up.”

Another man who is due to return for training at Lostock is Rob Holding, despite spending a fair portion of his summer on international duty with the England Under-21s.

Arsenal continue to maintain a strong interest in signing the home-grown defender but there have been hints coming from within the club recently that the Gunners are not alone in their pursuit, and that other Premier League clubs have made contact with a view to signing him.

It would work in Wanderers’ favour for a bidding war to develop, with Arsenal’s up-front fee still not to their liking. There may also be more of a willingness at other clubs to loan Holding back to the Macron for a season, which is another issue being discussed with the Gunners.

Everton, Watford and Bournemouth are known to have watched him last season. Tottenham were also linked with Holding this summer, although sources at the club insist they are not one of the clubs currently in talks.

Phil Parkinson wanted to speak with Holding before making any long-term decisions but has already gone on record as saying he would like to recycle any money made in the deal on his squad.

Wanderers maintain they are not under any financial pressure to sell and may allow his contract to run down to the end of the season, where his fee would be decided via a Football League tribunal.

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum