Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wanderers net just £25,000 for young defensive star

+5
wanderlust
whatsgoingon
luckyPeterpiper
Bwfc1958
karlypants
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wanderers have sold youth team graduate Tyler Garratt for just £25,000 to Doncaster Rovers.

The 19-year-old defender impressed after graduating to the first team at the end of last season but had yet to put pen-to-paper on a new one-year deal at the Macron Stadium.

League Two Rovers have agreed to a number of add-on clauses linked to promotion, appearances and future sales but the left-back’s exit - particularly for such a low fee - has still come as a shock to Whites fans, who had tipped the youngster to cement this place this term.

Lincoln-born Garratt arrived at Bolton in 2013 and came through David Lee’s youth team to become a regular at Under-21 level.

He made his first team debut in a 2-1 defeat at Cardiff City, turning heads with a mature display after Wanderers had gone down to 10 men.

Garratt then started the next two games at left-back ahead of Dean Moxey, against Hull City and Fulham.

Darren Ferguson has made eight new signings this summer at Rovers following their relegation to League Two.

Source

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

:facepalm:

Fuck me. 25 grand. I don't even know what to say about that.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Bwfc1958 wrote::facepalm:

As a grade 2 academy we're not going to get much of anything for under 23's who aren't currently contracted to us. A tribunal would likely have set a higher initial fee so it depends on the add on's to see whether this was a better deal but to be honest I'm mystified as to why the club accepted it myself. Surely if we wanted value for him we should have gone to tribunal even though it might take a little longer that way.

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

luckyPeterpiper wrote:
Bwfc1958 wrote::facepalm:

As a grade 2 academy we're not going to get much of anything for under 23's who aren't currently contracted to us. A tribunal would likely have set a higher initial fee so it depends on the add on's to see whether this was a better deal but to be honest I'm mystified as to why the club accepted it myself. Surely if we wanted value for him we should have gone to tribunal even though it might take a little longer that way.
The tribunal like you say would have taken ages with not much likelihood that it would give much more if any more, so it's not a bad decision in my opinion, add to that the fact that we are in control of the add on's to safe guard against him becoming a good player.
No great loss in my opinion from the little I saw of him he wasn't very good, when you get an appearance alongside the shower of shite we had playing last season it can give you a distorted view.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I thought he did OK and is a decent prospect. Who is selling these guys - Parky?

Getting the impression that Parky reckons he can't get us promoted with kids and isn't prepared to be patient with their development.

£25k is nowt in the scheme of things and it's not as though we are saving a shedload of wages by getting rid. Seems a rash move to me.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i agree with Lusty, he did ok at the end of last season in the couple of games i saw him play, 25K is nothing, i would rather have kept him and got rid of poxey Moxey

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It would have been nice to see some home grown talent come through the academy to be inserted into the first team as it could have been a cost effective solution.

Where is the money going to come from for players as our current crop are shit.

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Yep I liked what I saw, very disappointing for the money involved.

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

The issue from what I can gather is he was out of contract and Doncaster offered him more, so it was a straight choice of taking the offer and controlling the bonuses and sell on etc or leaving it to a tribunal and controlling nothing-that's my understanding of it

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Maybe Ken needed a down payment on his new Mercedes ?

We have to presume that the powers that be determined he will not develop much further so unload. I can't believe it was for the money which wouldn't make sense.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

terenceanne wrote:Maybe Ken needed a down payment on his new Mercedes ?

We have to presume that the powers that be determined he will not develop much further so unload. I can't believe it was for the money which wouldn't make sense.

I have no idea if this poster on the Bolton News site is really in the know or not but (apart from his very last sentiment) this does seem to be a reasonable explanation -

"At the time he was offered his first professional contract by us we had no manager and there was an envelope left for him with a contract offer in for peanuts, doncasters manager spoke to him guaranteed him he's gonna be first choice and a contract double what we offered, then he came back from a break we'd appointed PP and he spoke to him and PP basically shrugged his shoulders. So Tyler decided to accept Doncasters offer, can't blame him really our club is rotten from top to bottom!".

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Sluffy wrote:

I have no idea if this poster on the Bolton News site is really in the know or not but (apart from his very last sentiment) this does seem to be a reasonable explanation -

"At the time he was offered his first professional contract by us we had no manager and there was an envelope left for him with a contract offer in for peanuts, doncasters manager spoke to him guaranteed him he's gonna be first choice and a contract double what we offered, then he came back from a break we'd appointed PP and he spoke to him and PP basically shrugged his shoulders. So Tyler decided to accept Doncasters offer, can't blame him really our club is rotten from top to bottom!".

I don't blame the player at all but I was hoping that this style of management went out the window with the exit of Darkside and Co. Hoping for better from  the new people....presuming this theory is true which we don't really know.

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

terenceanne wrote:
Sluffy wrote:

I don't blame the player at all but I was hoping that this style of management went out the window with the exit of Darkside and Co. Hoping for better from  the new people....presuming this theory is true which we don't really know.
To be fair rather than the melodramatic rotten from top to bottom comment, you can look at as just unfortunate timings.
KA has had his hands more than full with the embargo and other financial problems, PP has barely made it through the door so wouldn't know anything about it so really DH is the only one who should really have looked at it and it sounds like he's had his hands full with the embargo because his Blumarble loan seems to be the sticking point.
You certainly can't blame the lad but from the clubs point of view there are more urgent matters on the table.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

it must have been peanuts if Doncaster can double his wages, we need to be keeping hold of these young talents, not selling them for next to nothing

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Tweet from Iles -

Good chat with Phil Parkinson. Says Garratt deal was done and player's mind made up before he got to #bwfc but no hard feelings.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I had to read that three times before accepting it didn't start with "According to sources within the Macron" or "The Bolton News Understands" and it really did say "Good chat with Phil Parkinson." A named source on the record that says something that isn't speculative and actually makes sense? affraid
Could it be Marc Iles finally has a genuine line into BWFC? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

What next? We actually get concrete information out of the Beano that isn't a three day old rehash of BBC or SSN? I'm not sure I could cope with that. Wendy, break out the defibrillator just in case.
Twisted Evil

Actually, for Marc's sake I hope this is a sign of things to come. Perhaps a manager who's actually going to talk to local media without 'party line' double talk and mouthfuls of meaningless platitudes could help to ease the friction between the club and fans as well.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum