Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rob Holding's move to Arsenal expected to be concluded on Wednesday

+4
scottjames30
Norpig
Natasha Whittam
karlypants
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Arsenal should wrap up the signing of Wanderers defender Rob Holding today, The Bolton News understands.

After weeks of negotiation the two parties have now struck a deal for the 20-year-old centre-half which is believed to be worth in excess of £2million up front, with significant bonuses based on future club and international appearances.

Two other Premier League clubs missed out after making late bids but Holding was keen on the Emirates since their first bid of just £750,000 was made in early May.

The England Under-21 international made just 30 appearances in a Bolton shirt, making his debut less than a year ago in a Capital One Cup defeat to Burton Albion.

In that time his career sky-rocketed, culminating in an international call-up in the summer from Gareth Southgate for the Toulon Tournament.

Holding becomes Arsenal’s third signing of the summer, following Granit Xhaka and Takuma Asano.

After a request to loan Holding for the season was turned down, Phil Parkinson now turns his attention to replacing the academy graduate and seems to have two options at his immediate disposal.

Gordon Greer, the experienced Scotland international who left Brighton at the end of last season, has been invited in for a trial.

Though aged 35, Greer is looking to prolong his career for club and country and is thought to have impressed the Wanderers staff.

David Wheater is also looking to earn a new deal, having trained with the club for the last week.

The 29-year-old featured for half an hour in Saturday’s friendly defeat at Mansfield where Parkinson confirmed he was interested in offering him a deal.

Other clubs have enquired about Wheater this summer, however, which has delayed the process. The Whites are keen to get the situation rectified well in advance of the season-opener against Sheffield United.

Meanwhile, Crewe Alexandra have reduced entrance prices for Friday night’s friendly by half after Wanderers’ announcement that it will no longer be classified as a first-team game.

Tickets will now be £4 for adults, £3 concessions and juniors will be one pound.

Wanderers face York City at Bootham Crescent on Saturday.

Source

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:
David Wheater is also looking to earn a new deal, having trained with the club for the last week.

The 29-year-old featured for half an hour in Saturday’s friendly defeat at Mansfield where Parkinson confirmed he was interested in offering him a deal.

So Parkinson's interested in offering him a deal but only gives him 30 minutes at Mansfield and 45 minutes last night?

Give him 90 minutes and see if he is still walking at the final whistle. I really will be fuming if we re-sign this useless bellend.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i would rather have Greer even at 35 than Wheater

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:i would rather have Greer even at 35 than Wheater

I'd rather have Germaine Greer at 77 than Wheater.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I said we'd be lucky to get 1 million, so if we get 2 it's a better deal than i thought, we only got 50% shafted .

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Wheater would be a great re-sign, a perfect Captain too for me now he's properly fit.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Whitesince63 wrote:Wheater would be a great re-sign, a perfect Captain too for me now he's properly fit.

Wheater has had major injuries throughout his career. He'll be no different next season.

But even if he was fit, he simply isn't good enough. Good in the air, yes, but terrible on the ground and painfully slow.

We can, and must, do better.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

From what we can tell Wheater loves BWFC and you can't say he doesn't put the so-called shift in.

He might be a bit slow now but we are in League One.......so his experience would be of use IMO.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

You won't find a better defender than wheater at this level

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Boggersbelief wrote:You won't find a better defender than wheater at this level

I will. Virtually every defender in the league.

League 1 is full of quick forwards, suicide to keep a big lump like Wheater.

terenceanne wrote:From what we can tell Wheater loves BWFC and you can't say he doesn't put the so-called shift in.

He might be a bit slow now but we are in League One.......so his experience would be of use IMO.

Bit generous.

From what we can tell Wheater hasn't had a better offer, even so I'm glad if he's staying. Good defender when fit and in form.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Natasha Whittam wrote:

I can think of at least one team in League 1 that doesn't have any quick forwards.  tongue

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

terenceanne wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:

I can think of at least one team in League 1 that doesn't have any quick forwards.  tongue
Max Clayton / Kayne Woolery

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum