Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Long lost shops of Bolton

+10
Numpty 28723
Reebok Trotter
wanderlust
karlypants
whatsgoingon
Banks of the Croal
Boggersbelief
Sluffy
boltonbonce
bwfc71
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

21Long lost shops of Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Long lost shops of Bolton Thu Jul 28 2016, 18:12

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Got offered a job at Whittaker's when I left school at 15, the wage was 79 shillings a week  Very Happy

Also worked for a long gone supermarket called Lennon's on Churchgate, for about a week.

Long lost shops of Bolton - Page 2 Large

22Long lost shops of Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Long lost shops of Bolton Thu Jul 28 2016, 20:30

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

whatsgoingon wrote:Colourvision was the one i was trying to think of last night. Was that exclusively rental and was it part of the coop at one point.

No you could buy from them as well. I bought my first videop player from them at their branch near Asda near Moss Bank way. A Ferguson Videostar no less. the Rolls Royce of video players back then.

23Long lost shops of Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Long lost shops of Bolton Thu Jul 28 2016, 20:35

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Reebok Trotter wrote:
whatsgoingon wrote:Colourvision was the one i was trying to think of last night. Was that exclusively rental and was it part of the coop at one point.

No you could buy from them as well. I bought my first videop player from them at their branch near Asda near Moss Bank way. A Ferguson Videostar no less. the Rolls Royce of video players back then.

My first colour TV, for my bedroom, was bought at that branch of Colorvision.

24Long lost shops of Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Long lost shops of Bolton Thu Jul 28 2016, 20:37

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Talking of electoral stores....

Tandy
Cleartone
Rumbelows
Edwin P. Lees
Comet
NorWEB

And then there was the British Gas shop

And who can forget about Boydells

25Long lost shops of Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Long lost shops of Bolton Thu Jul 28 2016, 20:40

Numpty 28723

Numpty 28723
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

If ever you needed a new set of antimacassars, the handle on your mangle got broken or the gazunder got a big crack in it, Gregory And Porritts was the one-stop shop for you.
It was like Aladdin's cave in there and the gloomy lighting just added to the effect.

26Long lost shops of Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Long lost shops of Bolton Thu Jul 28 2016, 20:44

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Numpty 28723 wrote:If ever you needed a new set of antimacassars, the handle on your mangle got broken or the gazunder got a big crack in it, Gregory And Porritts was the one-stop shop for you.
It was like Aladdin's cave in there and the gloomy lighting just added to the effect.
Used to spend hours in there. Bought a set of tin mugs and plates for trips out. Still had them until a few years ago.
It was also great for lighting.

27Long lost shops of Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Long lost shops of Bolton Thu Jul 28 2016, 23:40

Reebok Trotter wrote:
y2johnny wrote:Ivor was the name of the guy who actually owned stolen from ivor and the reasoning behind it is the prices where that good you was stealing from him.

Genius.

Loved that shop.  Best job and best boss i ever had.  (Well both my bosses, Tony first and then gail who also had the grey mare in darcy!)

Correct Johnny. The company was set up by Ivor Hazan in the early seventies. At it's peak it had forty shops but nowadays there  is only one left in Stockport.
Yep.  Met him a couple of times.  Very straighr forward guy!!!

28Long lost shops of Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Long lost shops of Bolton Fri Jul 29 2016, 10:10

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Numpty 28723 wrote:If ever you needed a new set of antimacassars, the handle on your mangle got broken or the gazunder got a big crack in it, Gregory And Porritts was the one-stop shop for you.

I bought my second lounge suite from them. Expensive but good quality.

29Long lost shops of Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Long lost shops of Bolton Fri Jul 29 2016, 10:12

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc71 wrote:Talking of electoral stores....

Tandy
Cleartone
Rumbelows
Edwin P. Lees
Comet
NorWEB

And then there was the British Gas shop

And who can forget about Boydells

Tandy was the American shop iirc. They sold all sorts of electrical stuff, radios, etc and most of the stuff came from the USA. Another store who had branches everywhere back in the day.

30Long lost shops of Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Long lost shops of Bolton Fri Jul 29 2016, 11:21

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The Tandy brand was owned by Radio shack in the US.

Always went in there with my dad when he wanted spares and other electronic stuff. Very Happy

31Long lost shops of Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Long lost shops of Bolton Fri Jul 29 2016, 13:35

Was gregory and porrits on great moor street?  I had a flat opposite there years ago

32Long lost shops of Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Long lost shops of Bolton Fri Jul 29 2016, 13:38

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Long lost shops of Bolton - Page 2 Gp

33Long lost shops of Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Long lost shops of Bolton Fri Jul 29 2016, 13:39

Still non the wiser?

34Long lost shops of Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Long lost shops of Bolton Fri Jul 29 2016, 13:40

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It was Great Moor Street.

35Long lost shops of Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Long lost shops of Bolton Fri Jul 29 2016, 13:42

boltonbonce wrote:It was Great Moor Street.
Thank you.  Thought so.  I think i probably only went in there once.

36Long lost shops of Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Long lost shops of Bolton Fri Jul 29 2016, 14:00

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bought a big pot elephant from there once,and managed to hump the bloody thing home on the bus.
When we got to our front door I gave it to my brother to hold while I fumbled for my key,and he dropped the bastard. Smashed to bits.
I got my own back by bending his picture of Wyn Davies in half. (He got it free with Typhoo Tea).

37Long lost shops of Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Long lost shops of Bolton Sat Jul 30 2016, 19:42

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Cantors Furniture store arcade near Newport street
Boardmans another small furniture shop was near a pet shop ?

And the first job i had on leaving school was at King Kong sales on Manchester road sold all sorts of stuff but i enjoyed my short stay.

38Long lost shops of Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Long lost shops of Bolton Sun Jul 31 2016, 11:16

Masons Leisure on Chorley New Road was great. Used to go there once or twice a month for an Atari ST game.

39Long lost shops of Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Long lost shops of Bolton Sun Jul 31 2016, 11:44

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Barb Dwyer wrote:Masons Leisure on Chorley New Road was great. Used to go there once or twice a month for an Atari ST game.
Was it Computer World that was on Chorley Old Road?

40Long lost shops of Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Long lost shops of Bolton Sun Jul 31 2016, 11:47

karlypants wrote:
Barb Dwyer wrote:Masons Leisure on Chorley New Road was great. Used to go there once or twice a month for an Atari ST game.
Was it Computer World that was on Chorley Old Road?
I meant Chorley Old Round. ComputerWorld was next to Masons Leisure. Computerworld was more like PC world, Masons Leisure was a gamers paradise.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum