Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

If you are an exile, what do you say when people run Bolton down?

+10
King Bill
rammywhite
wanderlust
Bolton Nuts
Norpig
finlaymcdanger
Bollotom2014
whatsgoingon
Natasha Whittam
Chairmanda
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

King Bill wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
This. I'm from the north of Bolton and still have a share in a house there and it's a beautiful part of the world so in Norfolk I tend to wax lyrical about the lakes, the reservoirs, the woods, forests and hills that they don't have around here to make it clear that they've missed out if they haven't been to Rivington, Belmont, Turton, Rammy, Affetside and the Bolton green belt.

That's not really Bolton though is it, more the fringes. A couple of places you mentioned are not even in the Borough. Bolton's working class history lies in the heart of the town and in the tightly packed houses around it, and as has been said, it has had its heart ripped out. The town centre is on the decline, no matter how the so called town council try to "re-invent" it.
True, but if southerners are asking me about the dark satanic mills I'd rather talk to them about the fact that we have loads of open spaces, parks and are surrounded by countryside than bang on about Top o'th Brow or Dobble as their perception is that Bolton's nowt but endless terraced streets which we all know isn't true.
We have our share, but Bolton is more than that.

King Bill

King Bill
David Lee
David Lee

Some crackers there Bollotom, cheers Smile

I can feel a 'Lanky' thread starting soon enough...... !

King Bill

King Bill
David Lee
David Lee

DEANO82 wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:
King Bill wrote:Does look a good read that bb, cheers. I'm still trying to get hold of 'A Grammar of the Dialect of the Bolton Area part 2'. Got part 1, but still searching for part 2.
Had a search on 'AbeBooks' and Bookfinder.com with no luck. Must be a copy out there somewhere.
I'll keep my eyes open.
Is this not what you are looking for?

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=19693354414&searchurl=x%3D64%26y%3D10%26sts%3Dt%26sortby%3D17%26tn%3Ddialect%2Bof%2Bbolton

Obviously wouldn't want to pay £135 for a book.

I use http://founditatlast.vpweb.co.uk/ who seems to be pretty good at finding rare books, and also sells Bolton fanzines (White Love) and videos, although only 1 he seems to have now is the Tranmere play-off match which I wouldn't want to buy.

Just an update. Bought the book I wanted off Abebooks. The price had gone down to about £60 (delivered) for a used, but in good condition, copy.
Cheers again.

Lard Lad

Lard Lad
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Every town and city in this country is a shit hole.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum