Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sexist Olympic commentary or PC gone mad?

+6
MartinBWFC
Natasha Whittam
whatsgoingon
Reebok Trotter
gloswhite
okocha
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Interesting article on the BC website about perceived sexist commentary at Rio.
What do we think? Justified criticism or PC gone mad?

• Descriptions of some women athletes have been called "offensive"

• The husband of a gold medallist was referred to as the "man responsible" for her world record

• One gymnast was criticised when her leotard "failed to complement her skin tone"

When US gymnast Simone Biles gave a storming performance on the uneven bars, an NBC commentator complimented her by saying: "I think she might even go higher than the men." Meanwhile American swimmer Katie Ledecky was praised as being the "female Michael Phelps" in the Mail Online. Both women were already world champions so why was there a need to compare them to men?
"So far some of the Olympics commentary on female medallists that we have seen and heard has been offensive and demeaning. They are Olympic stars in their own right," 

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Its pathetic. Unfortunately, these idiot's views get into the media, and normal people are made to feel guilty, for what is an innocent remark.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gloswhite wrote:Its pathetic. Unfortunately, these idiot's views get into the media, and normal people are made to feel guilty, for what is an innocent remark.

Exactly.

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I genuinely think some people spend their lives looking for thinks to pick up on and remonstrate about, the people the comments were directed at probably didn't even think twice about them.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

whatsgoingon wrote:I genuinely think some people spend their lives looking for thinks to pick up on and remonstrate about, the people the comments were directed at probably didn't even think twice about them.

Try being a woman for a week before you comment.

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:
whatsgoingon wrote:I genuinely think some people spend their lives looking for thinks to pick up on and remonstrate about, the people the comments were directed at probably didn't even think twice about them.

What's the longest you lasted?

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

MartinBWFC wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:

What's the longest you lasted?
Very Happy

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

How appropriate that a thread about political correctness has turned into bullery.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think few women of my generation would consider the remarks quoted to be offensive (according to a poll I conducted with the missus, sample size 1) but it's impossible to tell what will offend people and it's even more impossible (is more impossible possible?) not to offend by our very existence at times. 
Nat for example could walk into the room and I could take offence for no apparent reason. Surely that would be my problem and not Nat's?

Therefore if some observers have a problem with what's being said, fair enough. That's their problem. And if they fail to impose their personal perspective on others that's also their problem.

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:How appropriate that a thread about political correctness has turned into bullery.
I think you mean how ironic

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

wanderlust wrote:I think few women of my generation would consider the remarks quoted to be offensive (according to a poll I conducted with the missus, sample size 1) but it's impossible to tell what will offend people and it's even more impossible (is more impossible possible?) not to offend by our very existence at times. 
Nat for example could walk into the room and I could take offence for no apparent reason. Surely that would be my problem and not Nat's?

Therefore if some observers have a problem with what's being said, fair enough. That's their problem. And if they fail to impose their personal perspective on others that's also their problem.
No you'd be right to be offended there, and therefore Nat's problem which she needs to sort out  Very Happy

Bolton Nuts

Admin

To say someone is the lemonade female Micheal Phelps may sound offensive to some narrow minded people. If a man started baking cakes on tv would there be an uproar if someone said he is like a male Mary Berry. 

Or if there was a bloke on tv doing a sore about how to fix your kids someone might say he was like a male super nanny. 

If a woman became stronger than the worlds strongest man it woyld be headline news. But if another man became the worlds strongest man nobody would care. And you know what... if the woman didn't get loads of extra attention for having beaten the men someone would say that it was sexisist... "she even beat the men and nobodygave her extra credit.. how unfair, its because she is a woman and they are trying to belittle her" .

https://boltonnuts.forumotion.co.uk

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Ps. Are there any mental or physical tests in which women are the world leaders above men or are men genuinely just ahead in everything?
To my knowledge men are the fastest sprinting. Can cover more distance more quickly in running. Can drive race cars faster. Are stronger. Are better than women in allmajor sports... even snooker darts and chess but especially football rugby athletics. Why?

https://boltonnuts.forumotion.co.uk

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Biggie wrote:Ps. Are there any mental or physical tests in which women are the world leaders above men or are men genuinely just ahead in everything?
To my knowledge men are the fastest sprinting. Can cover more distance more quickly in running. Can drive race cars faster. Are stronger. Are better than women in allmajor sports... even snooker darts and chess but especially football rugby athletics. Why?

Is it because they are raising family's, are the home makers, the nurturers, the communicators, the glue that holds the family unit together, whilst we just fart about playing games and pretending we know what we are talking about most of the time?

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

In answer to Biggie about mental tests in which women dominate, the Daily Telegraph noted in 2012 that in IQ tests that year, women scored higher than men for the first time.

I'm sure you know that in 2014 Victoria Coren Mitchell became the first person to win the European Poker Championship two years in a row.

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

Loads of the Olympic women look like blokes anyway so it's fair enough I reckon. 

I tuned into an event called the Women's snatch expecting a bloody good show but I was disappointed to find it was just women (who look look like blokes incidentally) lifting big weights.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

okocha wrote:In answer to Biggie about mental tests in which women dominate, the Daily Telegraph noted in 2012 that in IQ tests that year, women scored higher than men for the first time.

I'm sure you know that in 2014 Victoria Coren Mitchell became the first person to win the European Poker Championship two years in a row.

Vicky Coren was my mate's big crush for years and he was gutted when she married that comedian. He always said he was a big poker fan and that he hoped she was too, the dirty git.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum